Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
      Mouseketeer
      There are a few different companies that run bus tours out of Times Square. You can hop on and off in many different neighborhoods. It is fun to walk around Little Italy and Chinatown. You'll have to walk up 5th ave and check out all the shops. The Apple Store near Central Park never closes, so you can get an apple fix at 3 am if you want.

Neil Patrick Harris is always talking about this activity/tour in NYC : http://accomplicetheshow.com/ . That might be fun to do.

Some of the best meals we've had in NY have come from just wandering around and looking at menu's. There are so many good places.
      You could also try to get into a taping of one of the talk shows. Rachel Ray, Letterman, Anderson Cooper, The View, Jimmy Fallon etc.
      If you are early risers, you can go to where the morning shows tape.- Today show (NBC) is at Rockefeller Center, Good Morning America (ABC) is in Times Square. They usually have their weather people outside and sometimes do other stuff outside. They always seem to have a crowd of people with signs.

Whatever you do, you will enjoy it. I love NY. It has something for everyone.

Mouseketeer
      Quote Originally Posted by Trevski220 View Post
      The Tkts booth is usually much cheaper, but you do have to wait in line for a while to get them, if you have an apple product you can download an app which shows you a list of the shows they have each day and the level of discount.

On a different note a visit to the new memorial at ground zero is definitely worth it, but as forewarning you need to book ahead you can't just turn up, tickets are free though.

If you have time I'd reccomend taking a walk across the Brooklyn bridge also.

Reference the train from Newark, I'm pretty sure it runs from Newark into Penn station, from penn station it's probably 3 stops on the subway to times square.

For food if you like your meat then I highly reccomend Churrascaria Plataforma, it's a Brazillian restaurant and the food is lovely, just make sure you are hungry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      I've just had a look and there's a tkts app for android - so that's on my phone now - thanks very much.

I'll have a look at that brazilian restaurant, don't think I've had brazilian food before, but I might give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetink View Post
      There are a few different companies that run bus tours out of Times Square. You can hop on and off in many different neighborhoods. It is fun to walk around Little Italy and Chinatown. You'll have to walk up 5th ave and check out all the shops. The Apple Store near Central Park never closes, so you can get an apple fix at 3 am if you want.

Neil Patrick Harris is always talking about this activity/tour in NYC : http://accomplicetheshow.com/ . That might be fun to do.

Some of the best meals we've had in NY have come from just wandering around and looking at menu's. There are so many good places.
      You could also try to get into a taping of one of the talk shows. Rachel Ray, Letterman, Anderson Cooper, The View, Jimmy Fallon etc.
      If you are early risers, you can go to where the morning shows tape.- Today show (NBC) is at Rockefeller Center, Good Morning America (ABC) is in Times Square. They usually have their weather people outside and sometimes do other stuff outside. They always seem to have a crowd of people with signs.

Whatever you do, you will enjoy it. I love NY. It has something for everyone.
      I think your idea of just looking at menus is a good idea too, I'll definitely look at any menus I pass while we're there.

I wouldn't mind going to a taping of a tv show, but I don't think my nephew would appreciate it unfortunately.

JoR
      Senior Cast Member
      There are a ton of restaurants in NYC, we don't live far and go into the city often. As a matter of fact I am going in today to drop off my daughter to experience a college day at one of the schools she is thinking of attending.

menupages.com is a great tool for restaurants but be forewarned it is huge so narrow the search by location and or food preference

Train to NYC will be easy and no traffic to worry about. It does take you to Penn Station NY from Penn Station (newark)
      NY Penn station is on 33rd street and 7th avenue underneath Madison Square Garden

You can either subway or take a cab to your hotel. If you don't want to try and figure out the subway on your arrival the cab would be best. You can also higher a car service so that you know the cost of the transfer ahead of time instead of a meter taxi which can get expensive if you hit a lot of traffic to get into the city.

The reason most people say to stay away from Times Square eateries is because they mostly cater to tourist and while fine you will find better food if you just go in a couple of streets away

you didn't mention how long you are staying but some of the highlights in addition to the others already mentioned
      MOMA (museum or modern art)
      Natural History museum
      Just taking in the sights and sounds of Times Square
      If you like candy there is a large M&M and Hershey store in Times Square, or Dylan's on 60th (owned by Ralph Lauren's daughter)
      FAO Schwartz is a must see even if you don't plan on buying any toys

sign up for websites like bloomspot, gilt city and others, free to sign up and often have great deals on restaurants. For example we just purchased dinner for two at a David Burke restaurant in NYC for $79 three course meal including a bottle of wine and a glass each of port. This was total for 2 not per person, that is a steal in NYC for a high rated chef

www.nycgo.com is a great tool

A couple of our favorite restaurants are Becco on 46th and Serafina's which have a lot of locations throughout. Of course you have to have pizza too. Johnny's is one that is good as is Serafina's but everyone will have their favorite pizza place. I am sure there are websites rating them. There are many inexpensive places to eat in the city that are good just look around as you are walking around.

Serendipity it is one of those tourist things. To be honest it was ok because of the novelty of the chocolate but my kids were bored. It was one of those things we said we should do and did but probably would not be going back anytime soon

Anyone into technology and games? The Sony Store and the Nintendo stores are fun
      Last edited by JoR; 03-08-2012 at 12:55 PM.
      ---
      Jo

Junior Cast Member
      Hiya Andrew, you made me chuckle cos no I don't think your nephew would like serendipity as the film was more of a love story haha, I just assumed you would be going with your partner lol. Save serendipity for a date but none the less it is a fab and kooky place to go,

What guide book did you get? I got the brit guide 2011 it was really informative and helpful to have. it was a little heavy to lug around but I would flick through it before bedtime to see what I wanted to see and do the next day and I didn't miss anything that way.

Oh also this may sound daft or I'm just thick but I was always confused as to where I was in manhattan, so a little pocket map might be helpful as you dont miss stuff thats in the same area that way.

Oh if your into fake designer goods go to china town (sorry if this offends anyone but I'm not the first or last to do it) Its an experience in itself, We did this in May for the first time. They will ask you on the street if you want handbags,watches etc next thing your being led through a shop, up some stairs, through what looks like a bookcase but turns out to be a door, down some outside stairs and in to an room of stuff haha. This alone was a funny enough story without buying a handbag as I thought I was gonna get bumped off haha.

Also I second brooklyn bridge, We got a cab over cos my feet hurt then wondered around a little beach used in a lot of american programs, Brilliant views and I'm happy i did it.

Junior Cast Member
      Andrew are you gonna be there for St Patricks day?

JoR
      Senior Cast Member
      Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
      Oh also this may sound daft or I'm just thick but I was always confused as to where I was in manhattan, so a little pocket map might be helpful as you dont miss stuff thats in the same area that way.
      It does get confusing and the eaisest way is that avenues run east to west and streets are North / South. If you head downtown where the streets have names and not numbers a map is best. I still get confused there but luckily DH is a native New Yorker

12th Ave is the furthest on the west side as the numbers get lower you reach the east side. Streets going up in numbers is heading north, lower numbers heading south

Another great shopping area if you are into it is Soho a lot of little boutiques and real neighboorhood feel. Fifth avenue is a fun place to just walk along and if anyone is into designers it is the place to be even if you are just window shopping
      ---
      Jo

Junior Cast Member
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew1968 View Post
      Hi Jade,

Thanks very much for all that info!

From what you said, it sounds like taxis are easy to get at the airport which is a relief!

I've definitely got a lot of things you mentioned like central park, empire state building etc on my list of things to do.

As it's all a big rush, I've ordered a guidebook from our local bookshop which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

I am considering going to a show, but looking at the ticket prices, it looked very expensive to me - are those ticket booths a lot cheaper? Also, I'm going with my 18 year old nephew, so I'd have to find a show that he wouldn't mind!

Do you think that Serendipity restaurant would appeal to an 18 year old lad?
      Getting to the city shouldn't be a problem I don't think. And also I'm not sure who you are flying with but on Virgin they have a little guide video thats fun to watch.

Mouseketeer
      Yes, we will be there for St. Patricks Day.

The food at serendipity looks nice, but I don't think it'll really be up our street from what you're saying Jade, never mind, there's plenty more places to eat!!

I'm not sure what guide I'm getting - the chap in the shop has ordered 2, I know one was the AA guide, can't remember the other one, they should be in the shop tomorrow, so I'll decide which one is best then! I'll definitely check to see which one has a good map in.

Thinking about maps and whatnot, can anyone recommend any android apps that would be good to put on my phone?

Thanks for all that info as well JoR - we're there for 5 nights - arrive on Tuesday, leave on Sunday.

I'll have to tell my nephew about the Sony and Nintendo.

I think I'll have to print off this entire posting to take with me!

We're flying with United Airlines by the way - are they good??

Junior Cast Member
      Quote Originally Posted by JoR View Post
      It does get confusing and the eaisest way is that avenues run east to west and streets are North / South. If you head downtown where the streets have names and not numbers a map is best. I still get confused there but luckily DH is a native New Yorker

12th Ave is the furthest on the west side as the numbers get lower you reach the east side. Streets going up in numbers is heading north, lower numbers heading south

Another great shopping area if you are into it is Soho a lot of little boutiques and real neighboorhood feel. Fifth avenue is a fun place to just walk along and if anyone is into designers it is the place to be even if you are just window shopping
      Ha well you sound like a New Yorker to me, If I'm near or on bleecker street Im ok so your totally right with the street names.

Andrew Jor is right Soho is a great area one thats become my favorite as it has a totally different feel, put that on ya list as possible visit if I have time.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World