Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
      Mouseketeer
      I don't think 5 nights is going to be long enough :D

Junior Cast Member
      Im so envious of you being there for paddy's day. There's a whole bit in my guide book about it. Its one of the biggest parade's they put on apparently.

I think my excitement for my holiday is bubbling over into you thread haha sorry Andrew if I've posted to much.

One last thing trip advisor's New York forum is really helpful.

Mouseketeer
      I've just had a look at a St. Patricks day parade on youtube - looks good!

No don't worry at all about your posts - they've been a great help!

I'll have a look on trip advisor too - thanks

Junior Cast Member
      You will Have a brilliant time although the first few times I went I didn't like it as I felt swamped by the city, but in May I found my own New York and totally loved it. If the stopping and starting of street crossing also starts to get to you try walking the high line http://www.thehighline.org/. And don't forget your comfy shoes too. Have a lovely trip.

Mouseketeer
      Quote Originally Posted by Jade View Post
      You will Have a brilliant time although the first few times I went I didn't like it as I felt swamped by the city, but in May I found my own New York and totally loved it. If the stopping and starting of street crossing also starts to get to you try walking the high line http://www.thehighline.org/. And don't forget your comfy shoes too. Have a lovely trip.

That highline park looks nice, like you say, it might be a break from the streets ... I think we'll just book a couple of things, ellis island etc and then we will just do what we feel like each day, so we're not overwhelmed!

Got comfy shoes, don't worry :) I walk the dog 3 or 4 miles a day so I'm used to walking ... I've told my nephew to expect lots of walking too ... we've been to disneyworld quite a few times, so at least that's good practice.

Mouseketeer
      I've been looking at the airtrain from Newark, and I think we're going to give that a go.

From what I can see on the map, when we get to Penn Station, we should be able to walk to our hotel from there - it looks like it's less than a mile, so it should only take us 20 or 30 minutes - fingers crossed it goes to plan

Junior Cast Member
      Quote Originally Posted by andrew1968 View Post
      That highline park looks nice, like you say, it might be a break from the streets ... I think we'll just book a couple of things, ellis island etc and then we will just do what we feel like each day, so we're not overwhelmed!

Got comfy shoes, don't worry :) I walk the dog 3 or 4 miles a day so I'm used to walking ... I've told my nephew to expect lots of walking too ... we've been to disneyworld quite a few times, so at least that's good practice.
      I think that's the best plan andrew see what you stumble upon it's part of the fun.3 to 4 miles a day :eek: well walking wont be a problem for you then.

Sorry can't help with the transport as I've on ever done a cab.

Senior Cast Member littlepickering's Avatar
      I love NYC (I got engaged there, it has a special place in my heart). We booked a limo to pick us up from airport because taxi lines can be crazy long at times. It was kind of fun having a limo and driver just waiting for us, I booked it online. We also booked a private limo to take us sightseeing at night. We bought some champagne and beer, jumped in limo and driver took us all around city for great photo ops, I've done this with friends and my husband.

Meals - Opentable.com great for booking meal reservations and you can see menus and reviews there. While eating at little dives you find as you stroll the street or from food trucks, it is also nice to have some planned reservations

Breakfast - Norma's at Le Parker Meridien

Dinner or late night nosh -Pastis in the meat packing district. I always see celebrities there keep you eyes open. Food is yummy. Same owners as Balthazar's but it is not as stuffy or expensive.

Daytime meal - Serendipity- cute but overrated and sometimes the wait spilling out to the street is crazy!!!! Celebrities take their kids here.

Bar - Hotel Gansvoort rooftop bar Plunge. See and be seen!!!

Donuts - The Donut Plant, they have interesting flavors.

Sunday brunch- Gospel Brunch at Sylvia's in Harlem for soul food. I hear it has gotten touristy but never the less quite an experience.

Pizza - everyone swears by their favorite pick and truth be told they are all correct! Hello, it authentic New York style pizza. I like Johns Pizzeria (only take cash and do not sell by the slice) but Lombardi's, Grimaldi's, Patsy's and others are great too.

Other restaurants
      Churrascaria Plataforma
      BLT Prime
      Peter Luger (I think this place is cash only)
      Marimoto
      Centricos
      Spotted Pig
      Butter
      Nobu
      Spice Market
      Boom boom room - club/bar
      Dos Caminos

Sights
      Ground Zero
      Central Park
      Times Square
      Broadway Musical
      Statue of Liberty
      Brooklyn Bridge
      SoHo
      Empire State Building
      Metropolitan Museum of Art

I'll stop because I'm out of control and I somehow think I'm planning my own trip there!

JoR
      Senior Cast Member
      Many great suggestions above. A lot of the places mentioned are on the higher priced scale so make sure you check your budget against them as to not get suprised

Peter Luger is in Brooklyn and not Manhattan, with fives days you many not have time to venture out and it is steak for two. If you don't both like your steak the same way skip it but otherwise a great suggestion

The train into NYC is easy and the last stop on the train so no issue passing your stop
      Last edited by JoR; 03-10-2012 at 08:45 AM.
      ---
      Jo

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World