Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
      Mouseketeer

Last minute trip to New York - need help!

Hi All,

I've booked a trip to New York, but it's a bit of a last minute thing - I'm going next Tuesday :eek:

When we usually go anywhere, we book everything months in advance and it's all planned like a military operation, so I'm panicking a bit as I've only got 4 days to arrange everything for this trip!

There's only the 2 of us travelling, we're flying from Heathrow to Newark with United / Continental and staying at the Crowne Plaza in Time Square for 5 days.

I'm looking for any general hints and tips really, on things anyone can recommend to do and see, and also places to eat while we're there.

Another thing I was wondering about - we're going to get taxis to and from the airport - is that simple to do?

Also, does anyone know how early the check-in opens at Newark for our return journey. so I know what time we need to get back to the airport?

Thanks in advance for any hints and tips!

Andrew

Wrong information, Sorry!
      Visited DLP 6 times
      Visited WDW twice
      Visited DL twice

Earning My Ears
      Not trying to contradict previous post, but I'm 99% sure the fixed taxi fare is only to and from JFK and not Newark, we flew into Newark in December and that's what we were told, so we booked a car to pick us up in advance at a fixed rate

Junior Cast Member
      Hi andrew, Im with you on the last minute planning I fly to orlando next week and only booked it a few weeks back but I'm more excited than normal.

To start Newark's the only airport that doesn't do the $45 flat rate, so this can be helpful http://gonyc.about.com/cs/airlinesai.../getto_ewr.htm, We flew out of Newark to heathrow in May last year and I liked it better than jfk cos you had a better view of the city on the drive to the airport and I think it was quicker.Our hotel booked us a car to take us to the airport which we were happy for them to do so we didn't have to be the one figuring out what time to leave cos of rush hour etc,

We didn't know what to expect either, as although I had been to New York before we usually had a Virgin coach thing picking us up but this time was our first in catching a cab outside the airport but it was well easy just join the obvious long que (it moves really fast)

Also when flying back home - the airport's very small so have something to eat before you leave for the airport as the only restaurant I remember was a small chilli's.

Have a walk around central park it's my favorite place in Manhatten, find a little spot in the park to call your own.

Shopping and like a bargin visit century21 (opposite the new world trade center or ground zero to you also worth visiting) I never seem to find anything to buy but my fiance always seems to bag cheap designer mens jeans.

Why don't you get in the mood for your holiday from now till tuesday by watching movies based in Manhatten? or do a movie location tour when your there, sex and the city or the sopranos are a few I know of.

Restaurants? and like an experience then try serendipity (also a film based on the same name, try a frozen hot chocolate)

In my guidebook It said to try to eat away from the restaurant in times square (not that there is anything wrong with them) but to get away from the chains try the streets around instead of in times square for a more authentic experience (if that makes sense)

I enjoy top of the rock (viewing spot) over the empire state building as you get the empire in your view too,

If your looking to see a broadway show and want cheap tickets visit the tkts booth in Times square ( you'll see the big red steps behind that is tkts)

Can't think of anything else?

If you have more questions feel free ask

jade

Ooops, sorry about the wrong information above, we flew into JFK and out of Newark, so I must have been getting confused between the two! I'll delete it now :)
      Visited DLP 6 times
      Visited WDW twice
      Visited DL twice

Junior Cast Member
      It is confusing flying in to one and out of another hey gem lol

Mouseketeer
      Hi Jade,

Thanks very much for all that info!

From what you said, it sounds like taxis are easy to get at the airport which is a relief!

I've definitely got a lot of things you mentioned like central park, empire state building etc on my list of things to do.

As it's all a big rush, I've ordered a guidebook from our local bookshop which will hopefully be here tomorrow.

I am considering going to a show, but looking at the ticket prices, it looked very expensive to me - are those ticket booths a lot cheaper? Also, I'm going with my 18 year old nephew, so I'd have to find a show that he wouldn't mind!

Do you think that Serendipity restaurant would appeal to an 18 year old lad?
      Last edited by andrew1968; 03-08-2012 at 09:02 AM.

As far as things to see I would recommend the Statue of Liberty, although I don't think you can actually go inside of it right now. The Empire State Building. Katz's Deli and Carmine's Italian I've heard are great places to eat.

Also, I'm not absolutely certain but I think there is a train that runs from the Newark Airport into the City that might be considerably cheaper than a taxi.

Earning My Ears
      The Tkts booth is usually much cheaper, but you do have to wait in line for a while to get them, if you have an apple product you can download an app which shows you a list of the shows they have each day and the level of discount.

On a different note a visit to the new memorial at ground zero is definitely worth it, but as forewarning you need to book ahead you can't just turn up, tickets are free though.

If you have time I'd reccomend taking a walk across the Brooklyn bridge also.

Reference the train from Newark, I'm pretty sure it runs from Newark into Penn station, from penn station it's probably 3 stops on the subway to times square.

For food if you like your meat then I highly reccomend Churrascaria Plataforma, it's a Brazillian restaurant and the food is lovely, just make sure you are hungry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
      Last edited by Trevski220; 03-08-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World