Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Senior Cast Member littlepickering's Avatar

Starting to sew!!

I got a sewing machine for my birthday this year. My first set of dresses that I made for the twins came out ok but a little big. Because of the startup costs (sewing machine, thread, scissors, fabrics, notions, trim, etc....) I figured that $25 girls dresses cost me about $150 a piece!!! I now have to commit to this hobby to amortize the cost of my investment. I'm loving sewing but not too great with fitting garments!!! Any advice from those seasoned seamstresses?????

I always found the patterns ran a little big. Don't buy a size 2 because they wear a size two. Measure them.....hips, waist. and chest and match your numbers to the numbers on the back of the pattern. Buy the one where most of your numbers match the pattern.
      My first name is CHRIS. I live in NE Ohio.
      Seller name on eBay: square_pegs

I've done a lot of sewing, but never made clothes - look too complicated!
      Can't offer any advice but will say good luck!
      Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!

the best thing I can tell you is.....MEASURE TWICE CUT ONCE.....that what I was told when I started dressmaking years ago and as you go along you will learn just how true this is ....its a great hobby so I hope you enjoy it

Formerly known as katie&amys nana

Senior Cast Member littlepickering's Avatar
      I am really enjoying sewing. I'm finding it to be relaxing. I am using only patterns that are labeled easy so that I become better at this before moving on to more complicated projects. I find that I am addicted to trims and embellishments (they are expensive :( ). I have also started embellishing clothing the twins already have to make it more unique. Tonight I made 7 fabric cases for those little purse tissues. They take less than 10 minutes to make and need only 2 squares of 6 inch by 7 inches so any fabric remnant will do. Let's see what's next.

All my sewing is for craft projects so if the item does not fit whatever stuffed animal I made it for I just squash the animal and "make" it fit .... can't really do that with kids :D they tend to grumble when you squash them into clothes! Good luck with your sewing projects! post a photo of your projects!!

I have never been able to sew . I can sew buttons back on and stitch a hem tear, but sewing clothes :nono: Have A Good Time with your new hobby .

formerly known as : *** Tinker ***

My DW has been sewing for over 40 yrs. She is 55 now and loves sewing. She used to make and sell Barbie like dresses for craft shows for years.Some people who bought her dresses have shown them at Barbie shows all over the country. One time she made 120 dresses for little kids in Hawaii and they sent her some great pictures. She took classes on making men's and women's suits and it was expensive. She did make our DD her Halloween costumes but it was easier just to buy clothes from a store. It really now is just a hobby for her but hope you keep on sewing since it is starting to be a lost art. DD does not sew but always need something stiched. Mcduck

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World