Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
      Supreme Cast Member Steamboat Willie's Avatar

Some (Many) Camera Questions for a New DSLR User

With all the family events coming up in the next few years including about 6 weddings and our Honeymoon I'm planning to get a DSLR camera. After our last visit, I was disappointed by how few good pictures we had despite having over 700.

I'm planning on getting a Canon as that's what my dad and uncle use, so we'll be able to borrow lenses off each other.

The Cameras I am considering are the 550D or 600D (Rebel T2i and T3i) as they are the standard entry level cameras. However I noticed there's a cheaper range called the 1100D (Rebel T3) and there's also the mid range 60D.

I'm been comparing the 4 cameras using the various comparison charts on websites such as the main Canon site, but I'm still not sure what the cheaper cameras can't do.

So my first question is what advantages are there to buying the higher range cameras other than the extra megapixels, and the LCD screens that can be moved?

Questions two and three are about wide angle lenses and fisheye lenses. The cameras tend to come with either an 18-55 or 18-135 lens. I know wide angle lens tend to be below 35, so does this mean that I can get wide angle shots with these lenses?

Also I see that you can get fisheye adapters for wide angle lenses. Can you get adapters that allow you to take full frame shots, are all adapters circular shots only?

There will be more questions, but at the moment I can't think of any

I can answer the movable screen one. Mine has one and it's brilliant! I can lift it really high, or drop it down low and tilt the screen so I can see what's going on. I'd definately recommend having one if you had the option

A walking SportsCenter SportsMickey's Avatar
      Ignore the T3. Heck it has lower specs than my T1i.

If you have never really used a Dslr I would go with something in the Rebel line. If you can get a good deal on the T2i I would go that direction. However, if there isn't much difference in price go T3i. Brian got that body for Christmas and loves it
      Artist formerly known as JuniorMickey

Quote Originally Posted by SportsMickey View Post
      However, if there isn't much difference in price go T3i. Brian got that body for Christmas and loves it
      That is my Mother's day gift, arriving tomorrow. I asked for a new lens and Al upgraded my camera too. :D
      Paula

Brian went from the Xti to the T3i and it's a huge difference. There is less difference between my T1i and the T3i

Forum Newcomer!
      Ok, so I wrote a nice post last night at 10:30 and my computer crashed it and here I am again.

I am new here but have lurked a while, I saw this post and thought that I could help since I am in the camera business. So t3 vs T3i The t3i is nice because it has the higher MP and the movable screen. That helps tremendously if you are trying to shoot over people in your way or trying to get eye level with the dog (without laying on the ground.)
      the screen is a little bigger but not a huge amount.

I would go with a lens that fits most of everything, a 18-200 or a 18-270 from a aftermarket would be a good lens to most of everything. However they are heavy!!! The kit 18-55 is ok. I call it the "in the house lens" It is ok, but anything other then across the room you will need another lens. You were asking about fish eye kits, stay away from them, a fish eye lens cost several hundred dollars, a 25.00 kit is not going to give you the good effect. If you are really looking for a good wide angle lens you might want to look into a tamron 10-24 or tonika 12-24 both about 500 dollars.

But the best lens to look into would be the canon 50mm 1.8. It is 125 and it is just a great solid lens.

I know I had more for this post, but with the dogs and kid running around I can not think of it. When I do I will post.

It is so rare for me to actually use the kit lens. I love my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8. It's a much better low light lens than the kit (can be at 2.8 though the whole zoom where the kit is 3.5-5.6 so if you zoom in, you need a decent light source)

You were asking about wide vs. fish eye. They're two different lenses. Fish Eye has distortion on the ends. It's a cool look. Wide angle is just a wide, 18 generally meets that requirement.

Basically a fish eye is a wide angle but a wide angle isn't always a fish eye

A fisheye will dramatically distort your pictures too. I have one, that I love, because I love the bend.

I think SM gave the best idea for which body to get if you are new to DSLR. I have a Canon 50D, upgraded from the original Rebel. Canon's 1st digital camera. I basically out grew it.

Feel the weight of the body, and the grips. Make sure you get something that is comfortable in your hands. Different bodies have different feels.

I agree with everyone about the kit lenses as well. They are basically disposable lenses. Upgrade to something with at least an f2.8 for better low light pictures/faster pics. The 50mm that was suggested is a good one too. It's termed the 'nifty fifty'. My DH got me the 30mm (the dirty thirty) for Mother's Day last year. It runs, I think, about $300, but is an awesome lens. Gorgeous pictures!

You can also rent different lenses before you purchase to see if you like them. I rented the fisheye, abt 4 times, before purchasing. Once I took a rented lens to WDW even. I rented a wide angle to test out, before a trip to New Orleans. I wasn't crazy about it, but have seen some incredible shots with them.

Tomorrow, when I'm on my computer I'll try to upload different pics from different lenses to give you a better idea of what the results can be.

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk
      Countless times as a child, FWCabins (11/92), Off Property (07/95), ASMu~, (04/97), ASMo (08/02), ASMo (04/06), Day Trip to MK (12/06), PC (07/08), PC (06/09), PC (10/10), ASMu (08.09/12), PC (01/13)

I left all my lenses out in FL thinking I wouldn't need them and i'm kicking myself now in case we fly off somewhere in Europe over Easter. I've gone for the Sigma DC OS 18-250MM F3.5/6.3 as an all rounder to keep here. I have the 500D (T1i?) out in FL. I'll have to decide whether to switch bodies and bring that home next trip to upgrade too.
      Paula

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World