1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Any resorts you would not want to stay at and for what reason.

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Resort Hotels & Accomodation' started by Damfino, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

I love resort hopping, it's a chilling way to spend the day and of course you come away thinking that you would love to stay there. But, is there any WDW resorts you would not want to stay at and why.

I didn't like CBR, any resort that needs transport to get to breakfast is a big no way. Perhaps I picked a bad time, but, the food court and seating looked shabby (some of the seats had duct tape repairs on them) and I had a CM follow me around the shop as if she thought I was going to steal something (I was browsing while DD visited the restroom) It just didn't do it for me.

2. Indydisneyfan

Indydisneyfan New Member

The only resort we have visited and not had any ideas about staying at would be the Contemporary Resort. For some reason that resort just doesn't do it for us. It is too blah on the inside and just doesn't look "Disney" to us. I feel like we are walking into a hotel in Chicago rather than a resort at Disney. We like the location, access to the monorail, water, etc.. but the look and feel is just not there.

3. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

I think that the Grand Floridian would be low on my list. While the inside is breathtaking.....anywhere that has knee deep carpet seems a bit too posh for my style. I'd feel like the Beverly Hillbillies rolling in......:lol:.

4. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

I dont think the All Star resorts would be something I would like. They are so small....and they have too many people..and very noisey..I really like Deluxe but will do the Moderates. We planned a trip with two other couples. They staid at All Star Sports, we stayed at Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW because we made ressies later than they did....sports was full. We went to visit their rooms and I just felt claustraphobic..

5. Debi

Debi Moderator

I really disliked Caribbean Beach Resort at Walt Disney World and would never stay there again . Just to spread out .
    I never wanted to stay at the Grand Floridian either Think Tink , just too too for me ! :lol:

6. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

This is hard :hehe: We've not done as much resort hopping as we'd like to... I think if we had an opportunity to stay at any of the resorts we'd jump at it :D

I think the least preferred would be Wilderness Lodge - despite the fab restaurants and nice feel of the lobby, it feels a little too far out and secluded for my liking. I love being on the monorail line :yes:

7. LindyT

LindyT New Member

We stayed at Caribbean Beach Resort at Walt Disney World the first year that it opened and at the time we loved it!The layout especially,and the pool theming,and the music!! Sadly whilst in "the world" this year we revised our opinion! On one of the rainy days we stopped by.I so wish we had not!You are right Damfino,the whole place has been "let go" The "bathrooms" were awful,and the food court was so in need of refurbing we would not even stop for a coffee! Such a shame.

8. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Coronado Springs..........we stopped off there a couple of years ago due to problems with a Disney bus. I know that they have a convention centre but it was so busy! We had a quick wander around and I just didn't feel 'at home' in the resort.

9. Debi

Debi Moderator

Fort Wildnerness is another I don't think I would like . Wilderness Lodge, eh, perhaps . :unsure:

10. GoofyDuck

GoofyDuck Mad about the Duck

I would have to say GF. Everytime I go there to eat, I feel out of place. I would probably spend my whole stay thinking that I could have stayed at my favorite resort, Polynesian.

I used to feel the same way you do about Contempory, that it didn't have that Disney feeling. Then, we decided to stay there because we got a good quote, and booked a wing room. When we got there, we were upgraded to the Tower, 8th floor. It was a magnificent view. It is now my youngest DD's favorite resort, and I wouldn't mind staying there again. I know it doesn't have that Disney theme, but everytime we stepped out of our room, we saw the MK, and it made us more excited and we got that Disney feeling.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
  11. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

Yeah I know what you mean..I felt underdressed when we went for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare ...anyplace that makes me want to spit on a napkin nad wipe my kids face as I walk in the door is just to upscale for my family. I would love to hear them say "Y'all come back now y'hear" though...it would make the place seem more fun and less stiff.

12. greatdanedaddy

greatdanedaddy New Member

Mine would be Coronado Springs. It is a beautiful resort but it lacks the "Disney Feel". I think that is because it is a convention center. Stayed their once but won't stay their again.

John

13. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Great question!
    Having visited all resorts, I wouldn't want to stay at Caribbean Beach or Coronado because they're too spread out. Also wouldn't be too keen on the All-Stars, not sure why, as we've stayed at Pop and enjoyed it, maybe because they seem a bit older and dated :shrug:
    Wouldn't like FW either, don't care for cabins or camping and it's too spread out.

14. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

I think they thought the Beverly Hillbillies had arrived when we turned up to stay :lol:

We had carrier bags from Publix filled with Bryan's beer and looked really bedraggled after being up for fourteen hours!

15. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

That's how we'd be too. All in sweatpants, shaggy hair, rolley cooler, mismatched suitcases :lol:. You get the drift. It's also (sometimes) really 'quiet' in the lobby. I like the loud echoing sounds in the lobby at Pop. Sensory overload from the get-go.

16. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

Well with this current stay at CS we have stayed at all of the standard resorts except Beach Club and Fort Wilderness (we won't stay here because we aren't campers in any sense of the word). We haven't stayed in any villas. Caribbean Beach Resort at Walt Disney World is one that we most likely will not stay at again, because it is just too spread out for our liking. The only way I would stay at the Contemporary again is if I could afford a MK view from the main building or BLT.

17. Lucys Dad

Lucys Dad New Member

Old Key West Vacation Club Resort at WDW. Had a disaster there last month and would never go back. That said, there is probably a 'hard luck' story for every resort.

Checked in and was given a ground floor studio room, the minute I walked in there was an overpowering smell of damp. The 'balcony' was also positioned 12 inches away from an air con unit. I asked to get moved and they gave me another studio the following day which was fine. 2 days later however there was a water leak from a hatch in the ceiling next to the bathroom door. Called maintenance who came out to repair it. 24 hours later, another leak from the same hatch but coming from 2 points. Having a coffee pot and an ice bucket positioned on the floor to catch the water was to much.

On the plus side, was moved to the WL for the last 9 nights.

As I said, I would never go back there but I am sure there will be the odd sorry tales from most of the resorts.

18. laid-back mitch

laid-back mitch New Member

weve eaten at the yacht and beach, and at the grand floridian. i didnt feel comfortable there, dont ask me why!!! ithink the high end hotels are too intimidating. i far prefer the atmosphere of the moderates and the ak and wl.

19. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

Not a fan of the Beach Club and it would be my last choice on the Boardwalk. Definitely wouldn't stay at the values or mods because I don't like the doors opening on to the walkways. I would stay on HPB instead. AS Sports is horrendous IMO, we drove around and some blocks looked like old army barracks. Sorry! :hehe:

20. Jon

Jon Moderator

I think the convenience of having the resorts facilities within a reasonable walking distance would rule CBR, save paying the extra for a preffered room (which im loathe to do). The only time im likely to visit Fort Wilderness if is to check out Trails End. Im sure the cabins are nice enough but again, the place is just too spread out.