1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Baby food

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Planning' started by Vikki, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

For those of you who have taken babies, have you taken your own food or bought it there? I'm trying to cut down as much on luggage as possible, but I don't know if it'd be better to take food with me that I know she'll eat, or wait and buy it there. She'll only be 6 months, so her nutrition will still be coming mainly from milk but the girl does enjoy eating :lol:
    Also, what about taking baby food on the plane? Can you take it through security?

2. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

I think it would have to be in your checked luggage with the exception of some in containers for the trip itself. I have never tried to buy babyfood when in WDW, if you will have a car there are a number of markets you can but it at no problem, but if you are on property with no vehicle then I am not sure. I do know you can have it delivered like any other grocery ites from Garden Grocer...you order your things and they will deliver it to your room on the date you give them.

3. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

We will have a car. I'll be buying nappies when we get there as I've had a look on garden grocer and it's possible to get the same type in America. just trying to cut down as much as possible on what we need to take.

4. Disney Dad

If you will have a car and you can get the type your that you currently use I'd just wait and but it over here, less muss and fuss and less packing too.

5. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

I remember Joanne saying she had a hard time with US baby food when sophie was little

6. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

With any luck she might respond then :)

7. Bec

Bec Moderator

We used a combination.

We were lucky that Logan liked the powdered Heinz food. A couple of those boxes go a long way - although Logan never ate much.

We took a container with powdered food on the plane and several boxes in the luggage.

There is a small range of baby food stocked in the boots airside and they will reserve items for you. You can then take those on board.

If you take them through security they wil have to be tasted - same goes for milk.

Logan loved the Gerber apple sauce in the US - so much so we used to bring it home and also the gerber apple juice.

8. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

I'm thinking things like apple and pear purée should be fine, it's more veg that I'm not sure of. Ben always hated jars, so I might experiment with some of those pouches as they don't look as plasticy if you see what I mean.
    What are these boxes? Are they a bit like the cereal? She has the Organix ones for breakfast, are they a bit like that.
    Won't have a problem with milk as I'm hoping to still be breatfeeding (assuming the little teeth she's started getting don't begin to bite lol!)

9. Bec

Bec Moderator

10. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Might be worth a try :yes: do you have to use boiled water for those?

11. Bec

Bec Moderator

Use boiled water, we used the nursery water and bolied that.

12. Disney Dad

bottled water would work as well...should be able to use the microwave in the food courts to boil water. I'm sure if you asked in the restuarants they would boil up some water for you as well

13. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

When we took Soph at 6 months I took a selection of jars & Ella's organic pouches with us. Wrapped the jars in bubble wrap in middle of case and it was ok. The bottle of gripe water we took wasn't and smashed :oops:
    So glad we took those jars as the stuff we bought over there was very different to here and I think there was only one type she'd eat (pureed carrot or something). I think we took a box of dried stuff too, but she wasn't interested in that and hardly ate any.
    The water is different too, but I think you can buy bottles of nursery water from the supermarket (don't use ordinary bottled water, something to do with high levels of minerals or something).
    Took a few nappies to start us off and bought the rest at Walmart, they have the same Pampers as here.

14. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Right. Taking own food it is then. T least the space taken up going out will be free for shopping on the way home :wink:
    What is nursery water?

15. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

I don't know, but I've seen people mentuon it before :hehe: I'm guessing it's some kind of filtered plain water :unsure:

16. Disney Kelly

Disney Kelly New Member

Good idea to take as much from home as you can, Laura was 9mths when she first went to WDW and boy did we struggle. We took our own ready made milk in cartons, ran out towards the end of the trip - not a problem bought some more (she preferred) from Walgreens, same with the nappies ran out towards the end of the trip!

Baby food was a nightmare, she would only eat Gerbers Apple sauce, which I felt wasnt filling for her, either that or she loved it that much there was no filling her. Everytime we sat down to eat she would go beserk for what we were eating yet she refused to eat baby food. This is when she had a taste of her 1st chicken alfredo, pizza, pasta, Mac & Cheese, fries (without the sharp ends on them) oh and whatever else she fancied :eek:.

17. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

The more I think about it, the more I'm thinking about trying to get her on to our sorts of meals, mushed up a bit, before we leave. Do you think if I asked at restaurants for our food to be cooked without salt that would be ok? Then I could just take a bit of our veg etc and mash it up a bit..... Goodness, the things you have to think about taking a baby :lol:

18. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer New Member

Hi - I didnt realise we could take baby food, I just thought as werent allowed meat, veg and fruit and that is in most baby foods so I couldnt take them. So if I pack a few do you need to declare it or something? I have been getting DS used to our food and that is mainly what he eats mashed up but wanted just a couple of baby foods just in case. Seems most places will give you pasta and plain sauce so that should be good, also so mash potato etc so hoping it will be OK.

19. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

The meat, vegetable and fruit restrictions only apply to FRESH items.

20. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer New Member

Thanks for info USCwest, that explains it and makes life a bit easier. Cheers.