1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Big Fat Gyspy Weddings

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by MKJo, Feb 2, 2011.

1. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Anyone in the UK watching this? :nutty:

2. Jon

Jon Moderator

I know its a way of life for travellers, but some of their 'traditions' are just wrong in so many ways.
    I mean, how long has the (female) tradition of dressing up like two-bob hookers (from birth upwards it seems) to 'impress' their male counterparts been on the go. And as for the whole 'grabbing' thing :eek:hno:

3. DisneyGemma

DisneyGemma Moderator

I love it!

4. DisneyHayley

DisneyHayley New Member

I LOVE this show - it's bloody insane!!

I absolutely agree with Jon though - they say their morals are so high and it's all steeped in tradition, but where did the tradition of barely-there fluorescent clothing and Shakira moves come from?

The woman who makes the dresses has struck a goldmine!! I found it hard to walk in my dress so god knows how these manage!!

5. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

We watch the show too - it's one of those "I have to watch this" things :lol:

:iagree: with all the above on the double standard of morals :huh: Interesting insight though :yes:

6. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

It's a must-watch for me every Tuesday night. I find it fascinating.
    The image I have of gypsies has always been thieves who go around flogging lucky heather and curse you if you refuse to buy any (as has happened to us in the past!).
    My opinion on them keeps changing every week now.
    It's mind-boggling the weddings they have and dresses they wear, and where do they get their money from? :eek:
    Good to see that the men do actually have proper jobs, but it's terrible and like something from the dark ages how they turn the young girls into cleaners and housemaids from such a young age.
    Interesting to see how moralistic they are and have quite high standards in some areas.
    Then you see how reckless and careless the men can be.
    And as for the way the kids behave and dress... :nono:
    I did feel sorry for them last week when they were thrown out of their homes. They'd made a nice little park for themselves and didn't seem to be doing anyone any harm, yet got their homes destroyed :(

7. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

I rarely watch 'Reality TV' but this is addictive!! :eek:
    We've been past that Wedding Dress shop millions of times when Redkop lived in Liverpool. Who knew all those dresses were being made inside!:spy:

8. Jon

Jon Moderator

I tell you, the scrap metal and driveway maintenance trades must be paying well these days. :hehe:

9. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

I love the cakes. I think its terrible about the girls having to leave school early

10. DisneyGemma

DisneyGemma Moderator

Yesterdays cake was amazing!

11. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

I need to get me some of those cake orders. :wink:

12. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

The only way I watch it is via FB newsfeed :lol:. Wonder if BBC/USA will run it?

13. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

Do you have Gypsies in the US, Brigette? Thinking about it, I suppose you don't.:unsure: Is there something similar?

14. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Are you able to watch it through this link Brig?

15. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

Yep. There are gypsies here. There was actually a Showtime Channel (pay cable channel) that had a series for a bit that centered around a gypsy family. If memory serves, they would stay at homes that were OTHER peoples homes that were on vacation, summer homes, etc. and go around and swindle people in the area getting out of dodge just ahead of the trouble.

I probably could watch it through the link. Someone on Debbie's FB page gave me a link. Problem is finding the time to stream it on my computer. Typically I watch shows that I have TIVOed and fall asleep to them :lol:. I had a show I did that too recently.....took me 3 nights to get through it!

16. DisneyHayley

DisneyHayley New Member

How can the girls not read and write well, when they leave school at 10/11/12?

I understand some people have difficulties with reading/writing, but all of them?

17. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

I think a lot of the problem with their reading and writing is that they move around so much. I have a lot of teacher friends who have taught traveller children and it seems as though just as they're getting them re targeted support they need, they move on, then they have the exact same problem at the next school. Also, not a lot of worth is placed on their education so a lot of them just don't bother. This is by no means always the case but it's a common problem.
    As for the program, I love it! I really like how it's developed from that one off program they did a couple of years ago, they're doing a good job of showing us all the fun of the dresses and cakes, but has some more serious angles too.....

18. katie666

katie666 New Member

My DH says it's the only hour in the week whwn I'm absolutely silent - I think Gob-smacked is the word he's looking for. I just cannot believe what I'm seeing :). As a child, I stayed with my Auntie in an army camp near York. There were a lot of real Romany gypsy camps in the area - just as you'd imagine with wooden caravans, horses, dogs, camp fires etc. and the women dressed in long skirts, dowdy tops and shawls. The children were miniature versions of the adults. Certainly nothing like the people in the programme.

Katie :)

19. katie666

katie666 New Member

I forgot to say thet the majority of the people in my church would fall off their pews if the children came to church in those dresses on confirmation day. :)
    I suppose the people in that area are used to it.
    I did notice that the children didn't seem to know what was going on during the Mass and didn't seem to have rehearsed how to receive the bread and wine in their first Communion. Not a criticism - just an observation. They did seem to be really, really happy to be dressed so elaborately. :) I'll not tell you what I wore but jeans & sweatshirt come to mind :eek:

20. SorcererMickey

SorcererMickey New Member

We have a similar show in the US, My Big Redneck Wedding, it is so..., just so..., ..., but so freaking hilarious.

It's shown on CMT, Country Music Television, sometimes I'm up around 1am or 2am during weekends when it's shown and I just cannot stop watching :lmao: