1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Damfino's Great Escape

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Damfino, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

Time to do a trip report.

February 26th. Travelled up to Gatwick on the Sunday, very uneventful. Even though travelling with TCD I still was able to do Twilight Check In. Was a bit tired so bought a Meal Deal from Boots and spent the evening in my room at the Hilton.

Monday 27th. Got up early and went through security very quickly and easily. Headed to the No 1 Lounge as I was unable to do the V-Room. Very disappointed by the quality of the lounge, small and cramped and staff were pleasant, but, not keen on being overly helpful. The food was incredibly disappointing, hardly any choice and cramped together on a small table that made it difficult to help yourself. I wasn't impressed to find there was no milk and when asked the staff member told us she couldn't get any more at the moment as the manager wasn't there. She eventually returned with milk that had been steamed to make a cappucchino and was foul. Thank goodness I'm bck in the V-Room as this was a waste of money.
    Got on the flight to find it was pretty empty, no one next to me, but, another female solo traveller in the window seat (a first timer) Didn't bother with the IFE as my I Pad had plenty to keep me happy. The last few hours I spent chatting with my fellow passenger giving each other tips, why have I never bought the Sentinel on Sunday before? The coupons were fantastic! The cabin crew were excellent and because the flight was not full we had plenty of attention, coming around with drinks on a regular basis. Very enjoyable flight.
    Got to MCO and I found that transfers with TCD are not a straightforward as with VH, I had to find the Mears desk and exchange my voucher for tickets then find the Mears stand. I had a half hour wait for the transfer, longest ever. Got ot FQ and was allocated a pool view room, luckily they changed it to a much better and quieter room 3331 on the third floor. Lovely room, unpacked, went to get some food (no dining plan:() and retired for the night.

Tuesday 28th. Decided to head over to the Florida Mall, for shopping, sad to see several large stores gone no Harry and David, Pottery Barn or Dylan's Candy. Hit Macy's to buy some Kipling bags, thanks to an amazing sales clerk I got two bags worth $127 for $64, she gave me a 10% off card for tourists, but, no idea where the other saving came from,not complaining. In the evening went down to DTD. Went over to Disney Quest, shocked to see it virtually empty, unsurprisingly the internet cafe has gone, but, all floors were empty of people. Went to the Early of Sandwich fr something to eat and had a French Dip Sandwich, slices of roast beef and onions with a pot of jus (was like Bovril) to dip sandwich in, very, very yummy. As I had an early start next day went back to room early.

February 29th. Wake up at 4.30am, have a quick breakfast in room, head down to bus stop at 5.15. Lots of people at bus stop and bus comes quickly. We arrive at the park and there are already over a 1000 people there, some queuing since 12.30am (why?) Local news crews there as wll as Mickey and Minnie in their jammies. We are given 'One More Disney Day' badges and Ears by CMs and there is a really great atmosphere already. It is well organised and instead of having to go through turnstiles our tickets are scanned by hand held scanners. At park opening we all head into the park very quickly. I head straight over to get my photo taken with Mickey, first in queue and going outside meet Pinocchio, short queue another photopass photo. It is foggy, but, warm enough to wear just Tshirts, the fog makes some interesting photos of Cinderella Castle. Head to Main Street Bakery for proper breakfast, everyone else has the same idea, but, once again well organised and the queue moves quickly. Yummy cinnamon bun and coffee. Head off to do rides, very strange to do HM at 6.45am and to see the sun rising as I come out. It is very busy, but, everyone is in a party mood.

TBC

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  2. DisneyGemma

DisneyGemma Moderator

Great start :)

3. Alanandali

Alanandali New Member

Yes, great start - please continue! Sounds like you picked a quiet time to visit.

A couple of questions please - what is TCD? Am sure I'm being really dense not being able to work it out, but always interested in alternatives to VH from Gatwick.

Also, what was the occasion that meant you could be in MK so early?
    Ali

4. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

Travel City Direct. When I booked the last trip it was £400 difference so that swung me. There wasn't that much difference for the November trip so I'm back with VH who own TCD, but, there was slight differences with holidays with both companies

5. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

Leap Year - Disney did the One More Day and MK was open 24 hours straight. (As a former CP, my first thought was, those poor CMs)

6. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

Off to a great start. Hope you are going to post some of those pictures of which you speak.

7. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

Sounds like a great start to the trip :D

8. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

Great start - more please

9. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Great start! Looking forward to the rest.

10. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

Off to a good start, looking forward to more please :)

11. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

What a great start!

I had the French Dip at Earl of Sandwich when we were there last August. It was definitely a sandwich that I'd get again!