1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Discovery Cove - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Beyond Disney' started by LorraineD, Apr 1, 2012.

1. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

For our October trip we are considering Discovery Cove. I'm not a fan of fish, but would not miss out on the opportunity to swim with dolphins. We've just been weighing up the prices etc, and just wondering what peoples thoughts on DC are? Is it worth it?

The package includes unlimited access to Seaworld and Busch Gardens and Aquatica - we've never done Aquatica cos it's always been chocca but we would definately be visiting Busch and Seaworld, also breakfast, lunch, drinks and snacks all through the day, so to be it sounds ok.

Any opinions welcome.

2. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

It is worth every penny :yes:
    I hate fish but it's not like the dolphins swim round your feet :lol: they're not fish anyway :wink:
    Have to admit, I did stay away from the pool where they did have fish swimming around.
    Anyway, I've done the dolphin swim twice now an I've loved it both times. I'm not a great swimmer but the trainers said the dolphins would instinctively know, and they did, they were almost protective.
    So I say do it, it is probably one of the most memorable things you'll ever do! :yes:

3. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

I don't like any sort of animals but I loved Discovery Cove although I did pass on kissing the dolphin! As Vikki said, it's worth every penny and I keep saying that we need to do it again. The whole place is really lovely and extremely well organised. We did the lot, the dolphin swim, the lazy river (which is very deep and definitely not for non swimmers) the aviary, which wasn't for me (birds swooping down for food - not good) but Robert and Bryan loved it.

The food was of really good quality and we had both breakfast and lunch. I think the DVD was also included in the price too. It's a great day out!

4. Pinoke76

Pinoke76 New Member

I think it is great value, so much so we have been four times now!!
    Having been so often, we did consider giving it a miss last year but I think the value stacks up when you consider the dolphin experience, the food and drink and then the tickets to Sea World and Busch Gardens.

To us, it is the most relaxing location in Florida. As the crowds are limited you know you can relax all day long and nothing is going to cause problems :)
    The food options are good and the drinks are freely available. A two week pass to Sea World is great as you can go more than once which is great if you like to break your day up with a trip to Premium Outlets :wink:
    We also took their bus to Busch Gardens one time, that saved a lot of driving hassle but did mean we had limited time in the park because we couldn't risk missing the ride home which was relatively early in the day.

We have not been since the Reef was built at DC though so can't comment on that :unsure:

5. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

:lol: Yeah Vikki, I meant the little fish swimming around your feet so that would be the pool I'd avoid (is there a pool with NOTHING in just to cool off :unsure:).

We usually get a ticket that has Universal parks, W&W, Seaworld, Aquatica and Busch. TBH we only ever do Seaworld once (because of everything else we pack in), and as yet we have just never got around to going to Aquatica on account of when we've passed on the bus to Universal (we stay at Lake Buena Vista and so walk to the Premium Outlets and catch the Iride up), it's always a bit chocca traffic going in to Aquatica so I don't fancy it.

We did Busch the first time we went and then we went last year. We had to walk up to PUBLIX at the back of premium outlets and catch the shuttle and we got back quite late in the day, for us the day was just about right, I think we were picked up around 6-6.30ish, arrived back at PUBLIX about 8 and walked down to Longhorns, we were shattered but had an amazing day.

I think we will go, cos as you say it's an amazing opportunity, and I'd kiss the dolphin, I kiss my daughters hamster and people would think that weird so a dolphins no problem. I just wanted opinions as we were talking about it today and when I looked in my "brits guide", they were saying the price looks cheap but all the hidden extras make it a very expensive day and sounded like they didn't think it was worth it.

Thanks for your replies:thumbs:

6. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

If you do book it, I'll tell you about a hidden little place we just love there :yes:

7. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

Thanks Vikki. I'm pretty sure we will do. I've been looking at the ticket packages today and I think we will. Our kids are now 14 and 16 and I think we're probably getting to the end of them wanting to come on holiday with us, so I want to make the memories for them to treasure and I am sure that swimming with dolphins must be up there with the best.

If we do go though, I think I won't be posting pics of me in a wetsuit:hehe:

8. Steamboat Willie

Steamboat Willie New Member

You don't need to wear a wetsuit. There's a waistcoat option instead.

I think it's worth it also. Endless amounts of food and drink, the pools seem quiet due to the restricted number of guests per day, and the time with the dolphins seemed a lot longer than what it was.

9. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Very few people wear the wetsuits to be honest. I always wore the swim jacket.

10. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

Aquatica is awesome! We did that park for the first time last summer. If you get there early you can hit some of the bigger rides without a long que. Some lines look ridiculous, but since you can ride doubles - on a lot - they move pretty Quickly.

using Tapatalk

11. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

We really want to do Discovery Cove soon - it looks fantastic :)

Vikki - what's the hidden spot :D Will you share with us... please!!

12. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Sure. As you walk into the park and come out from the lockers, turn right and just keep going as far as you can. You'll come to a small secluded bay with hammocks. We've stayed there all day with nobody else there at all. You can see the dolphins splashing around in front of you from there, it's beautiful :yes: it's also surrounded by trees so we spent ages watching squirrels playing about too. I'm on my phone at the mo, but I've some photos of it that I'll upload later :yes:

13. TimonAndPumba

:Thanks: Vikki :) Sounds so peaceful! I'll be sure to note that down ready for our trip - hopefully next time we can fit Discovery Cove in :fingers:

Pics would be lovely :D

14. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

That would be fab, thanks Vikki.

Well we've looked at it and looked at ticket packages etc. and decided we are going to do Discovery Cove. AND the date we looked at is our wedding anniversary so thats going to be a date to remember (considering we never really celebrate it and often forget the exact date:blush:).
    Thing is, because we go in October/November, we were looking at Halloween and a bit torn. My hubby and daughter would love to do Universal Horror Night, and my son and myself are scaredy cats and wouldn't :lol:. We did consider MNSSHP, but obviously would have to pay for extra tickets for that, so I figured we are already visiting MK - we are just gonna miss out on the parade, I'd much rather spend EXTRA ticket money on doing something like the dolphin swim at Discovery Cove.

15. TimonAndPumba

Great plan Lorraine :)

16. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

We arent going at the same time are we TimonAndPumba? We will be running out of the lockers half dressed racing to "bagsi" the secret spot:hehe:

17. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Oh dear!!!! I do hope it's still there now!

18. TimonAndPumba

:lol: We're planning already for next year :wink: You can have it all to yourself this Halloween :D

Me too :fingers:

19. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Bad news, Anthony informs me our little secret area is where the expansion went!

20. TimonAndPumba

Oh no!! Never mind... we'll have fun finding a new spot! If we come back with any "golden areas" we'll be sure to report back :D