1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

DLP isn't doing well

Discussion in 'Disneyland Paris News & Rumours' started by Indydisneyfan, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Indydisneyfan

Indydisneyfan New Member

Sounds like Disney is a little upset with DLP right now. They are losing money hand over fist and it isn't looking any better. They currently owe Disney 1.25 billion euros. Revenue is way down and there doesn't seem to be any relief in sight.

2. dizneymom

dizneymom Active Member

I read that. Kind of sad.

3. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

So they proceeded to bail them out.

4. Jon

Jon Moderator

I like DLP by and large but it just isn’t on the same level as WDW as an operation. Despite all the kids go free and 30-40% offers it still seems expensive, the food is very poor and again overpriced and park maintenance is somewhat lacking. Unfortunately the ‘Disney’ brand does come with an above average expectation and DLP (in most areas) doesn’t quite get it right.
    They have to cater for so many different cultures and languages that it must be challenging to get the right mix but I think courtesy should be universal (from CM’s that is, can’t change the continental mentality so easily).
    Disneyland Parc in many ways is superior to the MK, but the ‘studios’ have always had that unfinished, rushed together feel about. Its improving though since the addition of Toy Story Land and the new Ratatouille attraction.

5. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

Maybe they've reached the tipping point there? Shame they're losing money, but eventually that's going to happen once the average family can no longer justify the big bucks Disney demands.

6. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

We used to go regularly but haven't been for about five years as it didn't have the appeal anymore. The Disneyland hotel is fabulous however and I'd stay there again. I do still visit each year on our school trip and have unfortunately noticed what Jon has mentioned about the Studios. So much more could be added here. We're going again in a couple of weeks so it'll be interesting to see if any changes are happening already.

7. Jon

Jon Moderator

DLP has pretty much always struggled to make a profit. It needs a pretty big shake up to turn it around. Moving it across the English Channel might help :wink2:

8. MKadmin

MKadmin Administrator Staff Member

1.25 billion euros is a LOT of money! :eek:mg:

9. MarkE

MarkE He's Awesome!!

Yes, but to paraphrase Donald Trump.... if they owed Disney 2 million, they'd have a problem. Owing them 1.25 billion is DISNEY'S problem, and a major one at that.

The biggets problem DLP have always had is that for a marginal amount of money more, you can more often than not get to Orlando. So why bother going to France?

It's been about 10 years since I went, but the biggest problems they have are the fact that it isn't big or different enough - it's a "poor mans" disney world, not an alternative to. If you've been to WDW you've pretty much zero reason to go to DLP.

Now... being a "poor mans" or "economic version of" WDW is fine... if they charge scaled down prices. Make it significantly cheaper than WDW, and you might get a few more people through the door. As it is / was, I think it has and always will be a loss making vanity project for them, just so they can say it's there. Would they love it to make a profit? Of course - but I don't think the world's view of "EuroDisney" as a second rate attraction bothers Walt Disney the company as much as it should.