1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Do you have...

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Collectibles' started by wdwgrandma, Jan 1, 2012.

1. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Moderator

...a curiosity box? What's. In it?

I have a glass topped box where I keep my bits and pieces of special "stuff" that I have collected over the years. I have some lovely bits I found on Portobello Road, at Stone Henge, in St Albans - as well as things I've found here at home over the years.

What's in your curiosity box?

2. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

I have two. One in the kitchen where I have angels, little church buildings and Quaker dressed people and little things that are marked "Alliance, Ohio" cause that's where we live.

The other one is in my sewing/craft room and it has a bit of everything. Miniatures collected over the years, a few things from Disney and things I got from my mom's house I found when she passed a way.

3. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Moderator

How do you decide what to add to your collection? What makes you say 'I want to save this'?

4. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

100_0112.jpg

This is the kitchen one. I have my favorite angels here. I love the Quaker guys because we are Quakers/Friends. Nine years ago we had a litter of puppies and one of the families who adopted one of our puppies bought me a Precious Moments ornaments of a little girl with a wagon full of five puppies which represented our puppies. I collect the Alliance, Ohio stuff because our little city is famous for developing the scarlet carnation. We have a big old party every year city-wide. I found a lot of the little things at the Goodwill.

100_0113.jpg

90% of this curio was stuff I found at my mom's house when she died. I just couldn't leave it there. My brother would have just pitched it. There are a few Disney things. It is more of a memorial to my childhood and having things I know my mom saved for years. There are two little pitchers ....one yellow...one white. My dad made them for my mom when he worked at the Royal China company.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  5. Jon

Jon Moderator

I have a small box which holds a few special items I’ve accumulated. One of them is a Soviet badge handed down to me from my late Grandad from WW2. I believe it was part of a hat decoration, but sadly I never learnt the story behind it, or how he came to own it. Also have a commemaritive £5 coin from the wedding of Charles and Diana, various other currency and the odd Disney item (tickets, passes etc) from past visits.

6. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Got an old box tucked away somewhere that has a few bits that used to belong to my late Grandma. Should really have a proper one for other bits and bobs as I like collecting things.
    The girls both have a memory box (both full to top and need another) which has everything since their birth - hospital wrist bands, birthday & Christmas cards, postcards, school memories, etc.

7. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

I started one for each of my kids. I collected all newspaper articles that has their name in it. DD's photo was in a Garden magazine letters to the editor so I kept the whole magazine. Kept their report cards until they went computerized. Have a VHS/DVD of all their appearances on stage..orchestra concerts, choir concerts and musicals. Plus all the stuff they got at the hospital when they were born or treated later. You get a little bracelet when you go to the ER.

8. Debi

Debi Moderator

I now have the jewelry box that my father gave to my mom when they first started dating . I put my piece of amolite gem flat rocks/stones from my last carribean cruise , the tri centennial coin from our town's celebration , my bi centennial quater and 1/2 dollar saved from the year I graduated and other trinkets I'm saving for my granddaughter . :D

9. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

Not so much a curiosity box, but my late DH Navy suitcase is filled with momentos of his life. His Petty Officers uniform and flying suit, which I'll never part with, but, also his Mess Undress, the formal event uniform he wore just one to the PO's ball, but, I have no real emotional attachment to. His service record, photos of him on duty and lots of press cuttings from rescues he was involved in and the invitation from Buckingham Palace when we were invited to have lunch with Prince Charles at Balmoral for the Scottish rescue services as well as lots of other little bits and pieces from his life. DD has never seen them and I think it could be time to show her.
    I also have a box of things from when DD was born, the Sun and Daily Mirror from the day she was born, hospital wristbands and other little bits and pieces, plus a Freemans shopping catalogue. While the fashions weren't that interesting to look back on it was the electricals and how much they cost in relation to today which was the gobsmacker, especially the camcorder yu had to carry around on your shoulder, it's amazing how things have shrunk in just 21 years.

BTW, Prince Charles is an amazing person, William and Harry definitely follow him with their senses of humour.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  10. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

I have the original bill from the hospital when I was born in 1952! It was about $200 for me and mom for a three day stay!

11. Tishypops

Tishypops New Member

I still find it bizarre to think of paying for a hospital stay when ever I talk about medical bills with my friend in Ohio it blows my mind and makes me very grateful for the NHS

I have memory boxes for the girls with lots of bits in, birth congratulations cards, birthday cards mother and fathers day cards they made for us and the outfit they each came home from the hospital in. :0)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

I have a couple of boxes :yes: Lots of bits and bobs in there - especially priceless things, little notes etc.

13. wdwgrandma

wdwgrandma Moderator

I know I started this thread awhile ago, but you all have some interesting curiosity/memory boxes! Thanks for the photos, disneymom!

Next question: So, what is the last thing you added to your stash of goodies?

Hubby brought me a few souvenirs from Arizona that now have a home in the curiosity box. He brought me a copper coin and a lovely piece of malachite.

14. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

My favorite waitress at Bob Evan's (where I have breakfast everyday) works at a new antique store downtown. She invited me to come down and have a look around. Then when I found a few items she offered me 20% off my total bill. So I go down a couple times a month. I have a new little collection of creamers. I have a few of the white animals: Cat, dog, duck and a little elephant. I have a few of the cute little ones they bring you in restaurants...mostly older..nothing from around here. I keep them all on my kitchen window sill. I also have six mini pitchers in a rainbow hue from Fiestaware above my sink.