1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here it is...April 2012 WDW trip report

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Disney Dad, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

Ok...now that I have a few minutes and the pictures are downloaded to my computer I can finally do the trip report as promised.

Dates : April 14th to the 18th
    Cast: Me -DisneyDad (George) and DS (Stephen) 16
    Resort: Caribbean Beach Resort in a Pirate Room
    DDP: Yes...but there isn't too much to report...Stephen had some issues with the crowds in the resturants and being so excited that he didn't keep very much down...consequently I went on the Disney Diet Plan....where you go all day in the parks and eat little or nothing LOL.

4-14-12

Our flight left Albany Airport at 1:30. We flew on South West (great price and great flight)
    there was alot of turbulance on the way down, but thankfully it didn't seem to bother Stephen. For those of you who don't know Stephen is Autistic and has pervasive sound and touch as well. He is classified as non-verbal--meaning while he can speak it is not usually appropriate and is usually repeated words or phrases that may or no have any real meaning. This trip was specifically for him. After our last family vacation Stephen made some real strides forward showing a working memory from looking at the pictures of our vacation; and a developmental leap of refering to himself in a photograph as "me" instead of saying "Stephen". I wanted a trip for him to have some special memories that are just his, and so that he will be forced to use his words to tell anyone what the pictures are of.
    Back to the trip report
    We landed 1/2 hour early (got to love a strong tailwind) so by the time we got to Magical Express and arrived at the resort it was about 6:00 PM. I had done online check-in so it was only a 10 min (if that) before we had our room key and were off. We got the internal shuttle and headed to South Trinadad (room 3802) I managed the carryons and Stephen's wheelchair (thankfully it wasn't too long a walk from the bus stop). The room was a welcom site...we were both tired and warm so as soon as we got inside it was a definte flop on the bed and turn on the TV 043.JPG 036.JPG 046.JPG 042.JPG o 129.JPG n 044.JPG 041.JPG 038.JPG 047.JPG 039.JPG 040.JPG 037.JPG 045.JPG

We went up to the Port Royal Food Court to get something for dinner...no pictures but I bought a sandpail with a hotdog and fries...a chicken nugget meal (for Stephen)...and an Angus Bacon Cheesburger (for me). We used our resort mugs to get some drinks and after eating something we both felt a little better, but still tired. We went back to our room and dropped anchor for the night. It was only about 8 PM, but I knew we had a big day ahead.

2. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Yey! Have been looking forward to this one :yes:

3. Disney Dad

4-15-12, Sunday
    The plans I made were to go to the MK until around lunchtime and then hop over to DS. Dinner was to be at Beaches and Cream, and then back to MK for the evening (it was a late night). The plans didn't work...so here is what we did do.

4AM...Stephen was jumping in his bed saying good morning over and over. I got up and got us both showered and dressed for the day. It was still only about 5:30 by the time I got Stephen's backpack loaded with changes of clothes and all the necessities. Stephen was now sitting in his wheelchair and telling me come on come on. So we went for a walk around the resort at dawn.
    6:30 AM the food court opened and we went in for some breakfast. Stephen had a cinamon roll...I wasn't hungry so I didn't eat ( I should have). We shopped some and walked around the resort until we could catch a bus to MK. The busses were not overly crowded so it was a quick trip to MK. We got off and headed up the walkway...as soon as Stephen saw the MK entrance he got overly excited and :sick: so after a qucik bag check and a trip to the mens room to clean up we were back on our way. It was still before rope drop so we had some time to wait and take pictures
    005.JPG 006.JPG 010.JPG 008.JPG 014.JPG

After the morning welcome we headed straight up Main Street so Stephen could see the Castle. Then it was onto Mickey's Philharmagic (Stephen's favorite place in all of WDW) We went from attraction to attraction and finally wound up over in the new area of Fantasyland. The only open attractions were the Dumbo (Still a single one...I think the other is still under construction inside the big tent) The Great Goffini was not working while we were in line for Dumbo, but then it started again; and the Fantasyland train stop is in use. I took some pictures from up in the air on Dumbo...I figured I could see over the wall better. Those sneaky Disney Imagineers apparently like their privacy...they planted trees to block the view
    024.JPG 020.JPG 027.JPG 032.JPG 023.JPG 029.JPG 031.JPG : 033.JPG ( 030.JPG 022.JPG 021.JPG 028.JPG 026.JPG
    025.JPG

4. DisneyGemma

DisneyGemma Moderator

Fantastic start!

5. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

Great start. Can't wait to hear more.

6. Disney Dad

12:30 PM on Sunday...by now Im getting hungry. Decided to try the Columbi Harbour House for some lunch then planned to go to DS for a while. I ordered a tuna sandwich for Stephen and fish and chips for me. Stephen was not very happy with the insides...it was a bit crowded and he had no interest in eating (I think he was expecting to :sick: if he ate.) So I tried to eat my lunch...after three bites I couldn't take Stephen's objections and didn't want to subject the rest of the patrons to it so in the trash my meal went and we left the park to take a time out back at the resort. We got showered and comfy and took a nap wathcing Donald Duck cartoons on Stephen's portable DVD player...then we went to the pool for a little while (the quiet pool not the big Pirate one). After swimming and getting dressed again I asked Stephen if he was ready to behave and go back into the MK and see his friends. He said bye bye so I took that as yes and off we went. It was after 5 now and the park was not as crowded as it had been earlier. We went directly to Adventureland and did Pirates of the Carabbiean. Then we headed up into Liberty Square and did Haunted Mansion, continued through to Tomorrowland and did Buzz Light Year and Monsters Inc. Decided to call it a night and headed back to the resort, realizing that I still hadn't really eaten yet today. I got Stephen changed into his PJ's and then ordered Pizza (Island #3...all meats) I figured that Stephen would eat some if he was hungry but I was famished. The pizza came and Stephen was down for the count...so I ate and put the leftovers into the fridge and went to bed, hoping that tomorrow would be a better day.

Mon April 16th. Breakfast reservations at Rainforest Cafe for 9:45 AM. Stephen was up again early...thankfully 5 AM this time. So we went on another resort walk in the early AM...took some pictures of the grounds (they are beautiful)
    053.JPG 049.JPG 051.JPG 061.JPG 059.JPG 058.JPG 056.JPG 055.JPG 050.JPG 062.JPG 054.JPG 052.JPG 060.JPG ) 057.JPG 063.JPG

Then it was off to the Animal Kingdom. We were early, but RFC wasn't busy and they sat us right off. These are the only food pictures I got on this trip, and I had to "fix" them because it was so dark inside the resturant. 068.JPG 064.JPG
    067.JPG
    Stephen had Tonga Toast and Apple juice...I was really dissapointed...this is not the Tonga Toast that the Polynesian has...this was french toast with stawberries and banannas on it. Stephen ate the sausage but didn't touch the toast. I had the Cranberry Waffle with Whipped Cream...bacon and sausage (one of each) and Pinapple Juice. The service was excellent and the food was good I would go back again, but I don't knw if I would want to try it once it is more crowded. I think that since Stephen has gotten bigger things seem smaller to him...when he was younger he didn't seem to be as anxious in a restutrant...now it's a real issue for him.
    In the Animal Kingdom we did the Safari...Kali River Rapids (got totally soaked) and then the Nemo and Lion King Shows. I have Safari Pics, but no others.
    071.JPG 082.JPG 096.JPG 086.JPG 072.JPG 073.JPG 074.JPG 106.JPG 098.JPG 110.JPG
    083.JPG

We stopped after the Lion King Show and had Hot Dogs and bottled water. Stephen ate a hot dog and drank some water so I was feeling a bit better about going onto Epcot with him.

7. Disney Dad

4-16-12 2 PM Epcot

There is a bus from the Animal Kingdom to Epcot :thumbs: I was surprised and delighted...this makes park hopping a whole lot easier. We took the bus to Epcot and started at the Character Spot so Stephen could see his friends. I have Photopass Picutres but I haven't gotten the disc yet. After picture time we went to do Under the Seas with Nemo and Friends...Soarin and the Gran Fiesta Tour with the Three Caballeros. After we did the ride we saw Donald in his Mexican Outfit walking around the corner...so we lined up for pictures (Photopass again). It was around 7PM or so now and we headed back to the resort...there was leftover pizza in the fridge and still some soda left from the 2 liter. Stephen wasn't really interested in eating so I went to the food court before we went to the room and picked up a chocolate chip cookie and a fruit cup and a yogurt and two uncrustables (when all else failes PB&J works). With my supplies in hand I took Stephen back to the room and we had an impromptu picinic on the bed and watched Monsters Inc. on the DVD player. Soon enough Stephen was falling asleep and I picked up the room and said good night as well.

8. Disney Dad

April 17th Tuesday

Tuesday April 17th

We had 8:50 dining reservations at the Crystal Palace so it was up and on the way early. Again we arrived ahead of time and got seated no problem. I took Stephen up to the buffet line and picked somethings that he usually enjoys eating...I got biscuts and sausage gravy. We sat down and had juice and started to eat. Stephen ate his sausage but nothing more...I got my biscuts eaten, then Pooh came over...behind him was Tigger. 137.JPG
    136.JPG
    132.JPG
    131.JPG
    130.JPG
    133.JPG

139.JPG

138.JPG
    After the pictures I took Stephen was not wanting anything more to do with the resturant, so I hailed down our server and signed the slip (so much for the DDP). We had a 9:45 reservation for the Family Magic Tour. We were early, so we checked in and then looked around the Emporuim until it was time to join the tour.
    The Family Magic Tour is a scavanger hunt...I wans't sure how Stephen would do with this, but I wanted to try it. He did pretty well, but it was too long to keep his attention. The stroy is that the Mad Hatter got into the Candy Shoppe and ate all the sugar that they use to make the candy. He went a little crazy and started stealing and hiding things all over the Magic Kingdom. If we didn't help find the items then the Mad Hatter would go "mad" and start stealing things from everyone in the Magic Kingdom. Of course we all agreed to help. The clues start out easy enough and make reference to Disney Characters who have ahd things taken (Rapunzel's frying pan; Remy's recipe book; Tiana's keys to the resturant ect.) Along the way Peter Pan discovered the clues and decided to play along and he rehid the items. The clues lead us to Cheshire Cafe in Fantasyland and there was Peter to give us a hand (or a hook) in person. The kids all had to help Peter by playing a game...feed Captain Hook to the Croc :D They had bean bags with the Captains face on it and a tresure chest with a mini crocodile in it. The kids had to toss the beanbag into the chest. I wasn't sure how Stephen would do or if he would do...but he got up and took the bean bag fom Peter Pan...smiled and threw it right in the chest. Then Peter help up Hook's hook and let Stephen put his hand up in it for a picture.
    140.JPG 141.JPG

After that the tour took a short break and I told our tour guide that we were bailing. Stephen kept trying to make his chair go to the attractions as we passed them...he really didn't understand why we didn't get in line and was getting upset. So we went directly to Mickey's Philharmagic and saw the show (again)...then went to do the attractions we hadn't done the other day.
    After a while it was getting to be lunch time and I really wasnt up to having another resturant disaster...so we cancelled the lunch reservations at the Plaza and went to guest relations and cancelled the dinner reservations at Chef Mickey. I expalined that Stephen was having issues and on cue he started retching...the cast member called the podium at the Contemporary and explained that the child was ill...thye cancelled the reservation and didn't charge me ( I told her if they did they did...I wasn't going to make Stephen upset for the sake of a cancellation fee). We then went and did the Walt Disney World Rail Road and after that took the monorail to the Polynesian to get Kona Coffee to take home to mommy. Once we had the coffee it was time to head back to the resort. Stephen was actually getting hungry...he kept saying hot dog. I told him no we had hot dogs twice already I would order pizza...he said pizza and smiled so I figured that was an ok. I got a 1/2 #1 Cheese and 1/2 #5 Vegtable --used the dining plan (since I had credits left over) so it came with another 2 liter of soda and dessert. After eating I had planned on the pool but I looked over and Stephen had fallen asleep so I woke him up enough to clean him up and get him in his pj's and then pakced for the next morning as we had to leave by 6:20 AM to use the resort checkin for South West.
    We got picked up at 6:20 AM and after checking our bags and getting out boarding passes waited for Magicla Express to take us back to the Airport. By 8 AM Stephen was wide awake and actually looking to eat...the food court before the security check point was open and they had a Nathans Hot Dog Stand. So Stephen got two all beef hot dogs with ketchup and orangeade and I had a Phillycheesesteak and an orangeade. Then we went through security and waited for our flight at 10:15 AM. There were 8 other wheelchair passagers for this flight so preboarding took some time. Once we got on the plane Stephen started feeling the Adivan he got with his hotdogs. It was a quiet flight home...no turbulance at all.
    I think that if I were to do another trip just me and Stephen I would make some changes.
    1) I would not tell him anything about the trip...that way he wouldn't get himself all wound up.
    2) I would book and earlier flight down and a later flight back...as much as it isn't convienent for the wife and I it would make a difference in the time frames of travel.
    3) It would have to be at least 5 days at WDW for parks...by the time I got Stephen really knowing we were there to do the parks it was time to go home.
    4) I don't know that I would stay at this resort again. The Pirate rooms are great, but the resort is huge. I think I would opt for either a value resort where things are a bit more compact, or try to manage a deluxe and have the monorail to get back and forth to the MK.

9. Disney Dad

Epcot Flower Topiaries

Just realized that I didn't insert the pictures I took of the topiars from the Flower and Garden Festival.
    Here they are.... 112.JPG
    123.JPG
    117.JPG
    121.JPG
    119.JPG
    125.JPG
    120.JPG
    114.JPG
    116.JPG
    122.JPG
    118.JPG
    113.JPG
    124.JPG
    126.JPG
    115.JPG

10. leslie1983

leslie1983 New Member

11. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

Great photos and report - thanks for sharing

12. carlene

carlene New Member

great trippy, loved the photos ty :D
    carlene

13. Tishypops

Tishypops New Member

Wow it sounds great so far and it is nice that it is just the two of you do you can take everything at Stephens pace :0)
    The family tour sounds fab and something I definetly want to look into :0)

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mt1eig
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

Great trip report George. Sounds like you did your best to try and make sure that you and Stephen had a good time.

15. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

What a wonderful trip :yes:

16. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer New Member

Thanks for the trippie I enjoyed the photos and hearing about your adventures with your son.

17. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Great report and photos George.

It sounds like you both had a good time.

18. Davy Jones

Davy Jones 8 Sixes!!!!

:thumbs:Thanks for sharing your trip with us George, I really enjoyed reading it

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  19. Meg1884

Meg1884 New Member

Yay! I've been looking forward to your report.

20. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

Great report and photos George! :Thanks: