1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looking for a case of Pixie Dust!

Discussion in 'The Campfire' started by littlepickering, Apr 21, 2012.

1. littlepickering

littlepickering New Member

After being an attorney for 12 years, I have decided to open my private practice. I have been a prosecutor for 4 years and part of a firm for 8 years and now I want to work for myself! I have been looking for office space closer to my home so that I may continue to care for my twin girls and mother (they go to pre-school and will go to big girl school soon enough and help care for my mother who can no longer drive)! I am excited about the prospect but when I think of monthly costs I have trouble breathing knowing what I must earn before I even bring a dollar home!!!!!! Ok writing about this has caused the hyperventilation all over again,good grief!!!!!!!!! this process is like pulling a bandaid off or jumping into a cold pool I've got to just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?1oll3b

2. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

You know finacially if you can do it....and if you can on paper then you need to make it happen. If the paper says no...then you might need to tweak and rethink until you can. Either way :pixiedust: just in case.

3. littlepickering

4. Debi

Debi Moderator

Oh My Goodness, you have a lot on your plate . Best of Luck to you sweetie . Loads of :pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

5. dizneymom

dizneymom New Member

MAJOR decision. Only you know what is best for you, but if that is what your "gut" is telling you. You gotta take it and run with it. Good luck!

6. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

Well I don't know what office space rents for in your part of the country and I have no idea how much a lawyer makes, but as Disney Dad says put it all on paper where you can see it.

Do you have clients that you think will follow you or would that be stealing? Another thing you might want to look at is the pros and cons. Again on paper.

Good luck.

:pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust::pixiedust:

7. littlepickering

Well, I found office space and it is in a fantastic location!!!!!!!! The type of clients I had are not the type I could steal because it was one huge account and I was a name partner in that law firm that handled that particular account. While I had a small law firm and we did this particular type of work it was great until that work "dried" up and we have decided to file a dissolution of the corporation. The other 2 attorneys I worked with and I always kept other clients to our selves as part of out own personal private practice which we each maintained so no I would not be taking clients that are not mine but simply bringing clients that are already mine over to my new office. I have been borrowing my brother's office space to take client meetings while I am waiting for my office to be set up. I got word on Thursday that we are a go on the lease and we have both agreed to the terms now its off to the architect for a little help inmodifying the space. I have been fortunate to still be working even while I am a "homeless" attorney :lol: so I hope it will be even better when I am in a more established spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

Do you have a good assistant you trust? That makes all the difference in a law office (I used to be a legal assistant)

9. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

Go for it and good luck

10. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

What a huge, and brave, decision :yes: Best of luck to you...

:pixiedust: :pixiedust: :pixiedust:

11. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Good luck! I hope it all works out for you.

12. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

I'm sure you'll be very successful! :clover: