1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

New Fastpass system?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World News & Rumours' started by Tishypops, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Tishypops

Tishypops New Member

I am incredibly bored this evening as the firewall on my work network seems to not like me so I thought I would carry on trying to catch up on all of the park news I have missed while I have been away.

First of all let me just say, haven't we got a lovely group of people on here!!!!! [​IMG]Looking at other sites people are just so negative and it actually brought me down quite a bit :dunno:

Anyway back to my point, there is something mentioned about a new fastpass system where they are going to allow you to have so many a day and then the speculation is you can buy more, or that it will be tiered depending on where you are staying.

Has anyone heard anything regarding this?

2. Steamboat Willie

Steamboat Willie New Member

From what I've read (take it with a pinch of salt) FPs will still work the same. However, resort guests will receive advance FPs as well as the existing system. I haven't seen anywhere that has stated more will be available to buy. However, it looks like the type of resort will affect how many advance FP tickets you get eg 1 for a value for 3 for a deluxe.

3. MKadmin

MKadmin Administrator Staff Member

I agree, Tishypops. "Other" sites seem to have been taken hostage by a very bristly mob who like to look down their nose at any who dares to ask questions or who doesn't walk the Disney line to their specifications. I had enough of that real quick. This community is a haven to my family. Couldn't be a nicer bunch!

I am looking forward to the FP system being amended in favor or resort guests. It's simply not fair to stand in line for a FP behind a tour operator for 15 yr old girls while he processes 100 at a time and they are all staying down at Motel 6.

4. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

One definite thing that would up on property stays would be to include in all resort packages 2 FP a day for each guest. Then they could be pre chosen (like a DDP ADR) and FP would still be available for all park guests, but on property guests would have a little edge over the tour groups and day guests that seem to live to own every FP they can.

5. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

I'm not sure I agree with you Justin - sorry :(. We never stay on site, being honest partly cost but also we like where we stay, it's nice and central for us allowing us to be close by Disney and DTD but also easy access to shopping/dining and other attractions, and being honest even if i suddenly had a windfall id still stay in this hotel. But we still pay a lot for our holiday and park tickets so to say we have less right of access to a FP seems a little unfair. Maybe a separate FP machine for resort guests?? I dunno?? But, not everyone can afford to stay at Disney hotels so I think it's wrong to suggest non-resort guests have less rights.

6. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Maybe Disney will go for a system similar to what was operated in Paris? When we last stayed at the Disneyland hotel we were given a number of fastpasses at check in. I can't remember exactly how many as it's a good few years since we've been. I think it was per day :unsure: It certainly was a bonus over the busy New Year period :yes:

The Castle Club operated (if memory serves me) with a system like FOTL access at Universal as I said if we ever returned that's where we'd be staying!

7. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

The FP system is that Disney has is for all guests and makes Disney a standalone in the field. Universal allows resort guests to have special access (paid for by them if they want it) to the attractions. I don't think that making FP only for resort guests is a good idea; like Lorraine says not everyone can afford to stay on property, but i do think they need to make an effort that they are not being abused by park guests as well. If you are frustrated that the FP are gone and you are off property, you probably assume that the resort guests scarfed them up and you missed out. Well being a resort guest and hitting the unavailable signs on the FP machines makes you really frustrated. Then to see that it is not resort guests that got them but a large group that stayed off property and had a scout deplete the FP machine...:angry: They really need to come up with a way to assure that you have a shot at FP without having to camp out at the machine.

8. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

Yeah. See I love the Disney FP. I really hate the universal one and think its a total con. Particularly that you pay extra for the express pass and are allowed to use it once per ride I think that's disgusting (think sea worlds is the same) and what's annoying is a) the price changes depending in seasons but also b) we once went to IOA it was chocca bought express pass (I don't get one I refuse on principle) n so decided the time we visited the studios we would buy one as soon as we got in and we didn't need one so wasted a lot of money.
    i can understand people being narked and maybe the system needs reviewing and tweaking but I just think its a little unfair that guests staying at the resort hotels have more rights, as I said not everyone could afford to stay there.

9. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

Was that just for the Disneyland Hotel itself? I've always stayed at DLRP hotels (all at some point except the Big One, although I have resort hopped it lol) and never had that happen. Would be nice if it did.

10. Damfino

The Universal one for non resort guests is a con, I think you get the express pass for free if you stay at a resort. I do think US tries to squeeze as many pennies out of you as they can.
    It's well known that I have an issue with tour groups at FP machines, it's not just waiting for all the guides to get the FPs, but, when it comes to the alloted time they all descend at once on the ride rendering the FP as pointless, I'm talking from a lot of experience of being behind a tour group in a FP line and taking as long as standby. If I have lots of time left on the FP and I see a tour group go in I head off for a while and do something else. Disney really need to limit the amount of FPs issued to one person at a time, no more than 10 per person. They can have CMs on each machine to monitor this, it wouldn't be hard and it would make more people happier than unhappy as it is getting to be a real bugbear amongst park guests with regards to tour groups.

I don't think Justin meant no FP for non resort guests, but, tour groups who stay off site can use up a load of FPs and remember, not only does it push return time further away, they aren't unlimited. I think resort guests should get something as a perk with regards to FP, the bookable time slots would be good, or we can have access to a second one if the FP is available for more than three hours after issue, so if I got my TSM FP at 9.15am, but, can't use it until 4pm, instead of not being able to get another FP until later I can get one after 10.15am for ToT or RnRC or head over to another park immediately and get a FP there (can you do that now, that just popped into my head)

11. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

I've only stayed at the Newport Bay and the Disneyland Hotel - we didn't get any at the Newport so I guess it must be.

I'm not sure about the New York as I think they now have a sort of castle club level :unsure:

12. Damfino

If I go back to DLRP it'll be in the winter or September when it's quiet and propbably wouldn't need too many FPs.

13. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

I'd love to see the VIP FP's at WDW.

14. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Is that the same as the Castle Club?

15. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

Yes, you get a VIP fastpass to use anytime between 11am and 2 hours before closing. All suite guests, Castle Club at the DLH and Empire Club at the NY.

16. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Then another vote for VIP fast passes at WDW :yes:

17. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

VIP Fast Passes sound good :thumbs: I hadn't heard of them before!

I know I'm in the minority here but I really liked the Universal Express Pass we had... we didn't pay extra, but stayed at one of the hotels to have the benefit. I think having that benefit was a resort guest was great! It made our short visit at the two parks work well.

Not sure how it'd work at WDW but Disney are known for listing benefits of staying onsite - e.g. EMH. The shift would be moving the FP benefit from being included in the ticket price (i.e. to all that enter a park, like now) to being in the resort price (i.e. to just resort guest, like EMH). Disney would have to alter pricing to reflect this and it was done fairly then they can effectively have a system similar to Universal. Either way you get what you pay for :)

18. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

I love the FOTL access at Universal too :yes: I wouldn't do Universal any other way now apart from staying onsite.

19. Debi

Debi Moderator

That's exactly wht Justin was referring too. He and his wife saved a long time for a magical trip to WDW. Only to get there and be blocked off by 100's of Brazilian tour groups, sitting on the pavement to block other guests from being able to get a fast pass. He complained to guest relations, which I praise him for. I'm sure anyone resort or non resort guest, would have felt the same way.

20. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

Oh yeah I can totally see where that's coming from. And yeah I've also been behind big groups and like you say FP seems pointless then. The big groups like that wind me up. In October we were going into THE MUMMY. we were sort of intertwined with a big group of teenagers, obviously itching to get past us to their friends in front but I wasn't moving....my theory is, if ya wanna be together GO IN TOGETHER, well this one girl clearly couldn't wait and swung under one of the barriers just as I was walking forward and obviously its dark n I didn't see her and I stood on her!!!! Scared the living day lights out of me and must have hurt her but her own stupid fault.