1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Pre-trippie for our August 2011 trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Vikki, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Pre-trippie part one

Well, I thought it was about time I should get started with this! Our trip is getting ever closer, and now the summer holidays have actually arrived I thought now was a good time to put erm, well I can’t say pen to paper can I, so it’ll have to be fingers to keys :wink: I will warn you now, I love writing trip reports, and they do tend to go on a bit…….. :blush: I’m probably the only person who does pre-trippies in more than one part :p

The cast:

Ava: the newest addition to our family, six months old, never been to WDW.
    Ben: the big brother, now four years old, one previous visit to WDW in 2009.
    Anthony: we’ll stop mentioning ages now perhaps! Compulsive planner, menu searcher and spreadsheet maker. Four previous visits to WDW, which is the same as,
    Me: Vikki. Person who stresses out over every little detail, even though I know it’ll all be fine.

So that’s us!

[​IMG]

The planning for this trip started a year and a bit ago. We had no intention whatsoever to go to WDW this year, as this is the year we were hoping to add to our family with a little brother or sister for Ben. We were thinking we’d go in 2013, when Ben would be six years old, and his hoped for little brother or sister would be about two years old. For those of you who remember that far back, we took Ben when he was a little over two years old and he had a wonderful time! Trip report here, if you're interested.

[​IMG]

It was an absolutely magical trip amazingly he still talks about it now. The obvious benefits of not having to pay in the parks was worthwhile too. We did have to pay for a seat on the plane, but I’m glad he had that, as I would not have wanted him on my knee for nine hours!

Anyway, it got to about June last year and I had found out I was pregnant with Ava, which we were thrilled about :excited: We had a discussion about what we would do for our 10th wedding anniversary that was going to be in August 2011. I’m not sure which one of us said it, but we had a discussion about how wonderful it would be to go back to WDW, as we’d gone there on honeymoon. The discussion carried on with of course it wouldn’t be possible with what would be a 6 month old baby, and that there’s no way we would be able to afford it as I would be on maternity leave for a large proportion of 2011 anyway.

A little whole later, we’d obviously both been thinking about it, and Anthony being the mathematician had worked out that with a little belt tightening, we would actually be able to go after all, assuming we stayed at a value resort, or possible a moderate, depending on if there was free DDP offered in 2011. He had many spreadsheets to work this out, and had discovered that if we saved really hard we could actually have it all paid for by the time I actually went on maternity leave in December 2010.

So that was it, decided! We were going to WDW!

We had also decided on something else that was to become very important……we weren’t going to tell Ben!

2. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

By the way, Anthony does lurk on the boards as eeyorewells, so I'm sure he'll correct me if I get anything wrong, or take the Mick out of him :wink:

3. Debi

Debi Moderator

Sounds wonderful Vikki ! And I do see Anthony sneak on every once in a while . :wink:

4. Alanandali

Alanandali New Member

I am so looking forward to your trippie - loved the last one. How long are you going to manage to keep it from Ben?!

5. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

Looking forward to reading this!

Shame we'll miss you this time.

6. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

Looking forward to reading your report. How do you keep it quiet.? I am the one who does all the planning and booking and the shouting of the daily countdown. I just cannot keep quiet about WDW and drive the kids and DH up the wall with it. Where are you staying?

7. disneykids

disneykids New Member

I am the same way lizzx10r. I can't stop the countdown the talking of where we are going first what rides. We have started a new game at dinner. After we are done eating we go around the table and kidda like I spy we give a clue about a ride and the others have to figure out what ride it is. So good job keeping the trip a surprise. You have better will power then I do!!

8. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Will answer all of that in the next part, will probably do it later whilst Anthony is building our new TV cabinet :wink:

9. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Yay! :more: Not long to go now! :excited:

10. jarretth

jarretth New Member

I see from the picture that your new family home is looking nice:lol:

11. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

I will send round DS - he loves building furniture - and it will get him out of the house - hes making it look soooooooooooo untidy

12. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

:lol: well, we fancied a little change :wink:
    Cabinet got built I'm afraid, Anthony is pretty good with flat packs :yes:

13. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

Can't believe we have a cliff-hanger on a PRE-TRIPPIE! :lmao:

14. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

:blush:

15. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Trip report part two

So, we’d decided we weren’t going to tell Ben about our trip……not as easy as you’d think! Of course everyone we know knows we’re going to WDW so we’ve had to make sure everyone knows that Ben doesn’t know, if that makes sense :lol: They have been a couple of near misses, but so far, we’ve managed to keep it a secret. Whenever someone talks about our holiday, we refer to us going to Kent. Now this isn’t a total lie to our little innocent four year old, as we’ve actually decided to travel down a few days before so we will be in Kent. I’m not really keen on totally lying to him :wink:

Anyway, so once we’d decided we were actually going, we had to decide when and where. We looked at a variety of airlines, but found that Virgin fly drive was once again the best option to go for, as we had done on our previous visit. Anthony has always been desperate to have a 4x4 style car when we’re in America so we decided that we’d go for that this time. We would usually fly from Manchester because, well, we always have :lol: However this time we would be flying with a young baby, so my panic number one ensued (you will probably notice all panic related things are to do with Ava). Panic number one was that we might not get a sky cot and I really didn’t relish the idea of having a squiggly six month old on my knee in cattle class for 9 hours. Yes, I know it’s only 9 hours, but I was trying to cover every base. So, we decided that we’d go for a change and fly from Gatwick. The one and only reason for this was that they do twilight check in. The theory would then be that we would be at twilight check in as it opened and hope that we’d be allocated a sky cot. So we booked to go from Gatwick. I’ve been in touch with the lovely folks at Virgin several times and they said with a 6 month old baby they’d be very surprised if we didn’t get a sky cot but it can only be allocated at check in, and it depends on how many other people require a bulk head space. I just hate not knowing, drives me mad!

Once we’d booked our flight it was time to decide which resort we would stay at. We were planning on staying either at a value or a moderate, depending if free dining was being offered, and what other deals were around. Free dining was released and it ended up that the QSDP was to be offered at moderate resorts. We’re not usually ones for staying at the same place twice, but we’d enjoyed Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW so much on our last trip we decided to return there. Simple. I’m not entirely sure why we didn’t book it right away, but we decided not to, and I’m so pleased we didn’t. One day I was playing with the WDW reservations site and I thought I’d discovered a mistake. I found out that if we were to stay at either Old Key West Vacation Club Resort at WDW or Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW it would actually cost us a little less than Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW and we’d also get the full dining plan. After checking several times I found that there was an offer on for these resorts, so it seemed daft to stay at Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW when we could try a Disney Vacation Club for the first time. After a lot of consideration we decided to book into SSR, mainly because we’ve seen it so many times from the boat from PO to DTD and it’s always looked like such a beautiful place. Also, I thought that the walk from there to DTD would be really nice to do a few times.

We also found a hotel with parking to stay at near Gatwick. Now, if you can work this out, please tell me. We booked an overnight stay, with 2 weeks parking for £85. I went on the site to see what just one night without parking would be and it was £100. Very strange :lol: We also booked a couple of cheap £9 Travelodge rooms for the two nights before that, one at Luton, and one at Gatwick airport. We have National Trust passes, so thought we’d spend a few days going down there and visit some parks….which is what Ben thinks the actual holiday will be :wink: Also, we thought if we stayed near Gatwick airport on the Twilight check in day, we’d be able to get to the airport when it opened. That’s the theory anyway :yes:

Next time, more panics :wink:
    (told you this would be long :lol: )

16. *Mummy*Mouse*

*Mummy*Mouse* New Member

This is just FAB!

I am sooooo looking forward to your actual trip report lol especially as you are staying st Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW and i really wanna know what the walk to DTD is like

fingers crossed your plan goes to plan lol

x

17. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

This is quite a build up you are giving us Vikki. I can only imagine what the trip report will be like. Keeping things like this a secret is tough but it can be done. When our DD got married we asked her and her hubby to be what they wanted for a wedding present, one of the choices we offered was a honeymoon, which they both eagerly said that they wanted. The only hitch was that WE got to choose where and we wouldn't tell them. In fact they did not find out until the wedding reception, the very last thing they opened, where they were going. Of course we sent them to Disney. Then a few years later we did some more plotting with our first two granddaughters (our oldest DS's oldest and our DD's oldest). The girls and our DS only knew they were going to FL. That is where Donna's DM lives and we told them we were taking them down there to see her. They didn't know they were going to Disney until we drove through the gate that leads to DTD. Only four people knew the real story, our DD, us and DMIL.

So I feel sure that Ben will be quite surprised when he finds out.

18. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Wow, they're great surprises. I surprised Anthony with a birthday trip to DLRP (before the kids arrived) and that was a nightmare to keep quiet. This was a time before everything was booked online so I went to a travel agent. I told them they must not under any circumstances call me as not to ruin the surprise. Guess what? They called an Anthony answered. I managed to talk myself out of it though. To apologise they sent a bunch of flowers to me! Sounds lovely? Well yes, but how do you explain a bunch of flowers to your husband? :lol:
    It all worked out for the best though, and he was surprised, don't think I'd do it again though :wink:

19. Day Dreamer

Day Dreamer New Member

Great pre trippie Vikki you put me to shame need to take some trippie writing tips from you, I love the detail and build up and look forward to reading your trippie when you return thanks for keeping us entertained!!

20. jarretth

jarretth New Member

Vikki - we loved Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW last time and booked it because of the extra space and the DDP offer. What you will find invaluable compared to the moderate resorts is the kitchette (assuming you have booked the studio). Having microwave to warm bottles, and the extra fridge space to keep milk, yoghurts, etc is really great with a young family. We bought a load of croissants at Publix and stuck them in the freezer so we could have them for breakfast. We also bought some of the microwavable bacon so had bacon croissants for that slightly indulgent breakfast treat.

We also found that the walls seemed much thicker than the mods and rarely heard anything from outside of the room - useful when getting little ones to sleep.

Can't wait to read how it goes for you all.