1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Riverside or French Quarter???

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Planning' started by Davy Jones, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Davy Jones

Davy Jones 8 Sixes!!!!

Ok........ so having had the last couple of weeks to do my initial pre-planning we have narrowed things down to either Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW or Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW:unsure:

I have seen some very good offers inclusive of DDP along with tickets and flights, we have also checked out some of the deluxe resorts with the same offerings of DDP and tickets etc., however the cost is a little prohibitive this time round.

We have stayed at a number of the value resorts in the past and have also been lucky enough to have stayed in a few of the deluxe resorts too however, we have never stayed in any of the moderate resorts.

I guess my question may well have been asked before but which would you stay at out of Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW or Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW and why?

I will hopefully be booking our trip next weekend, so that's when all the planning habit will kick in properly, however I would welcome and value your views and opinions on the above 2 resorts.:)

2. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

I've stayed at both and they are both great, but, I would plump for FQ as it is more compact, so less walking, the bus queues are infinitely better although during the day apart from the MK bus you could end up going to both FQ and RS to pick up passengers, at park closing they do have their own buses for all parks. I prefer the FQ food court choices too, but, you can eat at either hotel's food courts. I was just doing my usual nothing better to do look at the holiday websites and WDW,VH and TCD don't seem to be currently doing free QSDP for the dates I'm going back November 6-20th, which is strange because when I booked I got the free dining, it might be alright for your dates.

3. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

I've also stayed at both and although I really liked Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW I loved Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW. Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW is very picturesque but as Damfino said, FQ is just so compact that it makes the whole stay so easy. DS loved the pool, it was never crowded and the same could be said for the food court. We found that the food court at Riverside could be very busy depending on what time we arrived for breakfast.

They're both great resorts and I'd stay at either again but Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW would have the edge.

4. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

I've also stayed at both and prefer FQ. I love the size of it and the transport is wonderful :yes: I don't think in the whole time we were there we ever shared a bus with Riverside. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Riverside too, but given the choice, I'd go for FQ :yes:

5. eeyorewells

eeyorewells Transferee

French quarter is my favourite resort that we have stayed in (except the 1 night we had at concierge wilderness lodge) we have stayed in lots of places other than fq including contemporary, riverside, saratoga and all stars a couple of times. Def go to french quarter

6. greatdanedaddy

greatdanedaddy New Member

We have stayed at both also. We prefer the FQ. It's smaller size makes it just a little cozier. I also think the grounds are just a little more beautiful. You won't go wrong with either resort.

7. TimonAndPumba

TimonAndPumba Disney-holic Family

I've not stayed at either before, however to add my thoughts... I've always liked the look of FQ :) It looks lovely and I've heard good things about those that have stayed there too :yes:

8. Davy Jones

Davy Jones 8 Sixes!!!!

Many thanks to all of your for your views and opinions:thumbs:

Having spent a couple of hours looking in to both resorts we are swaying towards FQ, it does help that I have all your opinions to refer back to:)

I will keep you all posted as to when we have booked etc.,

9. Jon

Jon Moderator

We always champion FQ when the comparison v Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW question comes up. Both are really nice resorts though and you're only a short walk away from the other whichever you choose. It's kinda why we prefer French Quarter as its a bit more intimate and generally a good bit less hetic around the lobby and food court. We can still wander over and enjoy the Port Orleans Resort Riverside resort at WDW food court, or go see Piano Bob on an evening too if we fancy it. Its also the first stop on the DTD boat run, if thats something you plan to make use of.

10. roebuck

roebuck New Member

When we were booking we decided on Port Orleans resort. When working out whether to stay in Riverside or French Quarter it was a very tough decision as both seem excellent. The French Quarter just edged it for all the reasons that have been stated in previous posts. We go there in July and I cannot wait to stroll round the grounds and sample everything that the French Quarter has to offer. As other posters have said, the Riverside is only a short walk away for a change of scenery,food court and entertainment.

11. Damfino

Can't wait to go back in November, just love it there.

12. laid-back mitch

laid-back mitch New Member

been to both, por once and fq twice. we far prefer fq. but,really, they are both top-notch resorts

13. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Although we've stayed at both, we've never walked between the two. How long does that take? Am I also right in saying you can use the pool at both if you're staying at one?

14. Damfino

Not sure about using the pools, but it's a 5-10minute walk along the river between the two resorts and it's a lovely one to do, of course you can take the boats as well which is lovely.

15. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

POR and Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW can use each others pools. :thumbs:

16. Jon

Jon Moderator

Its actually a very pleasant stroll alongside the waterway. In the evenings you have the horse and carriages trotting by also. Takes a good 10 minutes i'd say.

I love the create-your-own pasta station they have at the PoR food court.

17. Davy Jones

Davy Jones 8 Sixes!!!!

Thanks everyone - we will definately booking Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW, it always helps to have the feedback on things like this

18. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

Like the idea of that pasta station! They didnt have that when we went.

19. Southern Dad

Southern Dad New Member

For the same money you can rent Disney Vacation Club points and have deluxe accommodations. We've made many trips but have yet to stay at a moderate resort. Of course, Coronado Springs has Queen Sized Beds... Just saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD