1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Significant Expansion Planned for The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort

Discussion in 'Beyond Disney' started by MKJo, Dec 6, 2011.

1. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

Hollywood, CA (Dec. 6, 2011) - Warner Bros. Entertainment and Universal Parks and Resorts today announced a partnership to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter – the enormously popular themed entertainment environment which debuted in Orlando in June 2010 – to Universal Studios Hollywood.

The two companies also announced their plans to significantly expand The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be as impressive as what has been created in Orlando – and is expected to transform tourism in Los Angeles for decades to come. It will be a fully immersive environment for the entire family that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life and is faithful to the visual landscape of the films, including a majestic Hogwarts castle to serve as the centerpiece of the themed environment. The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Hollywood will be created with the same commitment to authenticity and the same level of talent and resources as its Orlando counterpart.

“I am delighted that The Wizarding World of Harry Potter has been so popular with fans since the opening in Orlando last year and I am sure that the teams at Universal and Warner Bros. will bring their expertise and attention to detail to Hollywood to make this new experience equally as exciting,” said J.K. Rowling.

The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Orlando Resort opened in June 2010 and immediately captured global attention. It is a spectacularly themed land that includes Hogwarts castle, Hogsmeade and multiple themed attractions. Specific details of its expansion will be announced over time.

“The announcement of our partnership with Universal to bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood and expand what already exists in Orlando is probably the best holiday gift we could give to the legions of Harry Potter fans worldwide,” said Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. “Everyone involved with these projects is committed to continuing the enchantment of J.K. Rowling’s masterful books as they were brought to life on screen in our eight films and dedicated to extending the magic of the experience for generations of fans to come.”

“This is an incredible moment for Universal Studios and the millions of guests who visit our theme parks,” said Ron Meyer, President & COO, Universal Studios. “The Harry Potter stories are some of the most powerful of our time and we are honored to expand our Orlando experience and bring The Wizarding World of Harry Potter to Hollywood, forever changing family tourism in Los Angeles.”

“The Wizarding World of Harry Potter is an entirely new level of themed entertainment that brings the stories of Harry Potter to life in incredible ways,” said Tom Williams, Chairman and CEO, Universal Parks and Resorts. “We are thrilled to be able to share this experience with our guests in Hollywood. And we are thrilled to take what has been created in Orlando to even greater levels.”

2. Pilotdog

Pilotdog New Member

I can't wait for this!

3. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

DD is desparate to go but we're waiting until we can have a longer trip than 2 weeks to stay onsite. The expansion will probably be complete before that happens. :hehe: Just booked tickets for the Harry Potter tour that opens here next year though.

4. Jon

Jon Moderator

How many times does the phrase 'Wizarding World' get mentioned in that PR :bash:
    Exspansion is good though. Its a bit of a bottleneck currently so anything that can spread the crowds out a bit in that area. looking forward to seeing what they have in store.

5. Pinoke76

Pinoke76 New Member

I'm glad they are planning to expand the area in Orlando. We didn't think there was enough there to keep us entertained long, and those singing frogs were cringe-worthy :blush:

Anyone got any ideas how long it will take for the Hollywood one to be done?

6. Bec

Bec Moderator

I think this was inevitable.

7. Steamboat Willie

Steamboat Willie New Member

They are also missing a trick by not having a Harry Potter themed hotel. People would definitely pay more than the highest priced Disney hotel to stay.

8. geordie uk

geordie uk New Member

2016 is what I've heard

9. Rankography

Rankography New Member

I have not been yet but looking for an excuse to get down there!!

10. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

They are expanding the Orlando one too.

11. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

And that folks, is why Jaws is gone

12. GILL635

GILL635 New Member

Any ideas when the work in Orlando will be done, or will I still be expected to look at a massive crater in US next October ?

If its the latter, I doubt any of us will even bother with US tickets

Gill x