1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Talk to me about the Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Resort Hotels & Accomodation' started by Disney Dad, May 7, 2012.

1. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

Here we go again :rotfl:

I pitched the plans I had for the Art of Animation Resort to the family and my DD was less then impressed. She will be 17 when we take this trip and really wants to stay at a more grown up resort. I did some looking online and if I'm going to tighten my belt strap and do a Deluxe resort I want it to have all the bells and whistles that I need. I found the Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa has Deluxe Villas that sleep up to 8 has a full kitchen with a washer and dryer and two seperate bathrooms (one with a jacuzzi tub). The resort has a beautiful pool with hot tubs and a full Spa on premisis (wife and daughter should be happy). I did all of the adjustments for tickets and meal plan and after I got out the difibulator I relaxed and broke down the price by the 10 days and how many people ect...and its not as hard to swallow as it was. So now before I pitch this to the daughter (the wife already has said :yes:) I want to know if anyone has stayed here...used the Spa services (value, cost, offerings ect...) I'm planning on using Garden Grocer to deliver some things to the resort (full kitchen means easy breakfasts and snacks and good cold water bottles), but I am still planning on DDP. I want to know what I can before I spring it on the DD and hopefully she thinks it is a good choice (this is probably the last family vacation she will be home for, I want her to be involved). So Im all ears...let me know what you think and what your experiences have been. Im looking at a 2 bedroom villa, and if I do this it will be the MOST expensive WDW trip I would have ever planned, but...it would also be the most plush trip (I'm not getting any younger :lol: )

2. Vikki

Vikki Moderator

We stayed there last year and I loved it :yes: we stayed in the building closest to DTD and it was literally a 5 minute walk and the view we had of it was wonderful :yes: I was treated to the spa as an anniversary present and it was superb! The counter service places are both lovely with the main ones doing some offerings that are just a bit different. We didn't use the main pool, preferring the smaller one with the kids splash area instead. We only had a studio so I'm afraid I can't comment on the accommodation you're thinking of. Only let down was the restaurant - name of which I've blotted from memory, it was awful. Terrible food, terrible service, an it takes a lot for me to think something is bad :lol:

3. Pilotdog

Pilotdog New Member

Have you looked into renting points to cut cost? If that would be to much of I worry to you there is a online company that rents for $13 a point.

4. Disney Dad

Hadn't considered that . Can you still do park tickets and a DDP if you rent points? Do you book thorugh WDW or does the owner have to book for you?

5. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

The owner books for you and can book ddp. You would do tickets separate

6. Disney Dad

I'm not sure I'd be comfrotable with an owner booking for me...how does that work as to my being a WDW guest? Ticket's and DDP would make me think I would be the guest on record. Has anyone bought points for a vacation ?

7. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

You would need to secure your own tickets. The owner books it for you though member services so it is in your name, but they have to do the booking.

I know Debi has rented points a couple of times

8. Debi

Debi Moderator

One tip ... Rent points . We paid $738.00 for six nights. 4 people . WDW price $300.00 a night . Go to mouse owners (one word ) . Com and post interest in renting points for your dates of interest .
    We paid $9.00 a point and could have had Old Key West Vacation Club Resort at WDW or Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW .
    Better yet as time gets closer , I can hook you up with our owner . He's an attorney from NJ and owns points at every deluxe villa .

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?p0flqo

9. Disney Dad

So the owner books in your name through member services and not Walt Disney World Travel...are the terms the same or is the balance due at booking? How many points would a 2 bedroom villa be for 10 days? Sorry this is a whole new world of doing for me...I've only ever called WDW and just booked a room (or two).

10. Debi

Debi Moderator

11. Disney Dad

Thats a good thing...I'd need to do the monthly I think...How do I get in touch with Vincent? Once the booking is made by the owner am I able to make any changes to the people going (not sure if my mother will be up to it and I'm waiting to hear from my sister if she will be able to get time off) Original plan was to book it figuring on everyone going and then make changes if need be before the 45 day mark. I don't want to have a booking that I can't switch a person if need be; want to book it early so I can pay it off, but might be too soon to know everones availability and if I need to substitute a person. How does the DDP work with a booking by the owner?

12. Debi

Debi Moderator

It doesn't matter how many people you take, you can add on or drop off .
    He won't be able to book for you until 11 months out, so October .
    When I get home, I'll give him a call and let him know I recommended you . I will need your name . PM me ! I know 1st name is George .

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?3uwza0

13. Pilotdog

Pilotdog New Member

To see how many points you will need, what are your dates and are you looking at a 2 bedroom? You can take people off and on but the owner might have to do that for you.

14. Alanandali

Alanandali New Member

I think with Saratoga Springs Resort at WDW it depends on the building. We were miles from everywhere and felt like we spent the whole trip walking - either to bus stops or downtown for restaurants. We prefer a bit more atmosphere which is why we prefer BW and also having more restaurants nearby if we're feeling lazy. Different if you have a car though which we often don't. Also a fair bit of transport noise at certain points due to the many buses. We played golf at LBV today so were reminded of this noise! Didn't use pool or spa on our trip so no help there, sorry.The large room sounds great.

Enjoy the planning
    Ali

15. Disney Dad

Looking at Aug 18th to the 28th 2013...not sure if my mom will be well enough for another Disney adventure. Offered my sister and niece to join us (if we do this resort)...depends on if my sister can get the time off and what my niece's schedule is like. Back-up plan would be to have my DD take a friend with us (hence wondering about adding and dropping people). Im not used to being dependent on others to do those things for me.

16. Pilotdog

Pilotdog New Member

I think you would need 380 points for a 2 br so at $9 a point (which is low from what I've been seeing) it would be $3420 for the room. At the high would be $13 a point (which is what the online companies cost) so $4940. I've seen point cost anywhere between those amounts. I think the online companies like Dave's might give you more protection but I guess if you got a reference for someone then it might be ok. The thing is the owner owns the reservation and would have to make any changes that you would want, though I believe that you can add or remove people at check in.

17. Disney Dad

Thank you for the help...I'm still kinda leery about it all, but thats a great savings. How would DDP work? Would the owner have to book that at the time of the room? Is there a way to check that the reservation was indeed made by the owner (a confirmation from WDW and not from the owner) I really don't want to do this and show up with people and luggage and no room. Do Disney Vacation Club reservations still qualify for Magical Express??

18. Pilotdog

Pilotdog New Member

I know you don't have to add the DDP right away, I think it is something like a week or maybe 3 days before your check in day. Yes you do get Magic Express but you don't get Mouse keeping everyday with points. I've never rented before so I really don't know everything about it, but I do know there has to be alot of trust on the renters part so ask for and call references. If Debi has someone that she has had good luck with then maybe give them a try first. I'm really not sure if you can get anything from Disney maybe with a resevation number you can call them to see if it is a valid number. But be aware that Disney will not help and anyway if a rental goes wrong. You should also get a rental contract for the owner. Sorry my writing is all over the place. Oh just found this site to check your reservation https://secure.reservations.disney....s/processEngine?process=false&pageRender=true

I'm not trying to push you to rent, it was just a suggestion to lower the price of your trip. But I would think that you would have to be very comfortable with the owner. If anything feels wrong to you then move on to someone else.

P.S. I am renting points for our VGC stay but that is from Jon and Jo. I feel comfortable with them as they have this site and have been around for a long time and others on here know them.

19. PaulaK

PaulaK Moderator

If anything goes wrong renting, Disney will not get involved. Just wanted to warn you.

20. Disney Dad

I'm still on the fence about renting points...may just not do it unless I can feel very comfortable that I won't wind up without a place to stay. Honestly at 380 points @ $13 per point its about $4,940.00 for just the room--with WDW the room only is $6,716.00 but thats without any promo pricing. If I can get a 20% off a deluxe room promo that would bring it down to $5,372.80 and it would be with WDW directly.
    Do you get daily Mousekeeping if you are not a Disney Vacation Club member?