1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The K's Dec '08 Food Trippie

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Dining & Restaurants' started by AlecK, Feb 1, 2011.

1. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

and another from the archives :)

In this report :

Blue Zoo

Cali grill

Captain Jacks

Citrico's NYE (special menu)

Flying Fish

GF Cafe

Kona Cafe Breakfast

Kona Cafe Dinner

Maya Grill

Narcoossee's

Wolfgang Puck Cafe

Yachtsman Steakhouse

2. AlecK

BlueZoo Dec 08

This was our choice for Christmas Eve. We'd been earlier in the year and had a lovely meal so decided we'd take the outlaws. Staying at the BWV, it was just a short walk to The Dolphin.

Once checked in, it was only a short wait for the table. We were taken to a large round table right next to the kitchen door, so we asked if we could move. It wasn't a problem and they gave us a table on the outside of the room. We had the same server we had last trip. I can't remember her name, but she was very friendly and knew the menu in detail to help us choose.

Here's what we had:

Garlic Roasted Jumbo Shrimp - creamy polenta, fennel butter

[​IMG]

Chilled Maine Lobster Tail- French cocktail sauce, mango salsa

[​IMG]

"Olive's" Classico Flatbread - roasted tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella, torn basil

[​IMG]

Teppan Seared Jumbo Sea Scallops - braised beef short rib, silky cauliflower puree

[​IMG]

Two-pound Maine "Cantonese" Lobster - fried and tossed in sticky soy glaze

[​IMG]

Flame grilled tenderloin of beef filet - horseradish fingerling potatoes, charred frisée salad, balsamic veal jus

[​IMG]

Kids Filet

[​IMG]

Surf and Turf - beef tenderloin, butter poached lobster tail, black pepper potatoes, garlicky swiss chard, brown butter chestnuts, butternut squash

[​IMG]

Snake River Farms Pork Loin - brined n' braised shoulder ragout, charred sweet corn, fennel, baby zucchini

[​IMG]

Selection Platter of maine lobster tail, oysters, clams, jumbo shrimp, day's ceviche, tuna cruda, dipping sauces. This wasn't one of our dishes, but we spotted it on the way out and chef let us take a photo! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Everything was really good and no complaints from anyone. We were in there a while, but that's how we like to dine. The bill was huge, but the lobster dishes and wine bumped it up. Worth every cent though and we'll definitely be going back!

3. AlecK

California Grill Dec '08

Staying at the Contemporary, it would've been rude not to visit the California Grill. :D It was nice knowing it was only a few elevators back to our room. We checked in on the 2nd floor and while there requested a window seat and though we got one, it was to the far left of the restaurant so not a great view for fireworks, but you can see for miles and from that side can see Everest and Spaceship Earth. Our pager went off in the elevator up to the 15th floor which is lucky. There is very limited seating up there now as people are eating in what used to be the lounge area. This is not on IMO. It looks scruffy seeing dirty plates and people are standing for a long time waiting for tables. :tut: While we are on the subject of scruffy.....there is a dress code....enforce it!! Sleeveless vests and daisy dukes are not business casual. We may as well have been dining around the pool. :nono:
    We were shown to our table and our server came over with menus and to take our order. He was very nice and we chatted a lot with him throughout the evening. He brought water, bread and some goldfish crackers for the kids and recommended a champagne cocktail which blew my head off it was so strong! :eek: MIL's G&T was rather strong too. :hehe:
    On to the food:
    Seared Loin of Rabbit

[​IMG]

Roasted Chicken with Applewood Bacon flat bread

[​IMG]

Creamy Butternut Squash Soup

[​IMG]

Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli

[​IMG]

Grilled Pork Tenderloin

[​IMG]

Oak-fired Filet of Beef

[​IMG]

Striped Bass with crispy rock shrimp

[​IMG]

Roasted Breast of Duck and Leg Confit

[​IMG]

kids sirloin steak

[​IMG]

Pan-roasted Grouper Fillet

[​IMG]

"The Original" - The California Grill's legendary butterscotch creme brulee with a duo of banana cakes and caramelized bananas

[​IMG]

Valrhona Chocolate Cake and Raspberry - Warm chocolate cake with molten center, housemade raspberry ice cream and raspberry sauce

[​IMG]

Chocolate Temptation - (No Sugar Added) Chocolate pyramid with chocolate gelato, berry compote and chocolate-hazelnut crunch

[​IMG]

Everything was TDF!! I stuck to my favourites of goat cheese ravioli and the pork. It was so good, we returned with just the kids the next week. 10/10. :thumbs:

4. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

Gorgeous! Gorgeous food! I'm starving now. :thumbs:

5. AlecK

Captain Jacks ( lunch ) Dec '08

This was another place we hadn't tried before but walked past hundreds of times. We popped our heads round the door around 11.30am and booked a table for an hour later. We needn't have bothered as it didn't get full. It's another of those places people seem to love or hate. :shrug:

For starters, Al and I shared the peel-n-eat shrimp. I was glad we shared when we saw how many we got! :eek:
    Lois skipped starter and Cal had the kids clam chowder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For main course Al chose the grilled chicken sandwich, I had the Shrimp and Penne Pasta, Lois had the Pasta Alfredo and Cal the Hot Dog.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No complaints from anyone, everything was well cooked! I thought the location was lovely sat on the water at DTD and we'd go back again. :yes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AlecK

Citrico's NYE Dec '08

We decided not to be in a park NYE after experiencing horrendous crowds in past years. :hehe: We decided to do the same as the previous year, have dinner later and return to our balcony, open a bottle of bubbly and watch the fantastic NYE fireworks. :fworks:

Citrico's was our choice so we could stroll 'home' after a few drinks. :champagne

Tonight was a 4 course set menu, probably to keep the tables turning over. The cost was $63 per adult and $21 per child. The first 2 courses were fixed and there was a choice of 6 mains and 4 deserts.

We had asked for our favourite waiter when we checked in and struck lucky that one of his tables came empty within 5 minutes. It was a wonderful evening. Everything was top notch as always and we met a nice family on the next table that we had seen a few times that week dining out. If you are the family from Birmingham we met, it was lovely to chat to you......even though you were Man Utd fans! :wink:

Callie's shirley temple

[​IMG]

P's Glowtini

[​IMG]

Trio of starters (fixed) - arancini, crab cake and onion tart

[​IMG]

Salad of romaine Lettuce with Hearts of Palm, Blue Cheese, and Vinaigrette (fixed)

[​IMG]

Filet Jardiniere

[​IMG]

Duck Confit

[​IMG]

Kids Filet steak

[​IMG]

Braised short Ribs

[​IMG]

Bittersweet Chocolate Mousse

[​IMG]

Lemon CheeseCake

[​IMG]

Dalmation Bones

[​IMG]

The braised short ribs were my choice and I have to say, they were TDF! Oh my they really were delicious!

We were introduced to the manager and made sure to let her know how wonderful everything was. Yummy rating of 10/10 and we highly recommend it. Big thumbs up! :thumbs:
    Champagne was being served in the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa at Walt Disney World lobby, but I think we'd had enough so strolled back and opened our own bottle in the room. The Poly beach was packed, but we had a wonderful view from our balcony and it was the perfect end to the year. The fireworks were UNBELIEVABLE!!

7. AlecK

Flying Fish Dec '08

Flying Fish wasn't an ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) we had planned, but we ended up switching a few ressies and decided to try to get in. There was nothing for that evening, but the lady said she would squeeze us in the next night as we were BW guests. She had to book us as a party of 4+2, but told us we would be sat together.
    It was nice only having to go downstairs, the Boardwalk area has some great restaurants. :yes: We were seated just a few minutes after arriving and we did get a table for 6 as promised. Our server was very friendly and chatted about the menu, answered our questions and recommended wine.
    Here's what we had:

Lobster Roe butter-laced winter vegetable Chowder -

[​IMG]

Chilled Wild Gulf Shrimp Cocktail

[​IMG]

Flying Fish Cafe Crisp Jonah Lump Crab Cake

[​IMG]

Kids soup (same as adult )

[​IMG]

Kids pasta

[​IMG]

Oak-grilled Maine Diver Scallops - sage, pumpkin and mascarpone-laced risotto, clamsheel mushrooms and serrano ham cracklins

[​IMG]

Grilled Wattleseed and Pepperberry-glazed Berkshire-Kurabuto Pork Loin - wilted greens, fennel, and horseradish gremolata, forest mushroom, shallot, green peppercorn and pomegranate compote

[​IMG]

Potato-Wrapped Red Snapper - Creamy Leek Fondue and Red Wine and Cassis Butter Sauce

[​IMG]

Sorcerer Mickey's Milk Chocolate Cauldron - fun "skewer" of fudge brownie, marshmallow, strawberry

[​IMG]

Chocolate Puzzle

[​IMG]

Florida Tangerine Cheesecake

[​IMG]

Once again, I had the scallops :hehe: and they were delicious. Everyone else emptied their plates too, so not a single complaint and service was excellent. Flying Fish will definitely be on our ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) list for our trip in October when we're staying at the Inn. 10/10. :eat:

8. AlecK

GF Cafe Dec '08

This was a lunch stop. Al's parents were flying home this afternoon, so we wanted a sit down meal not far from MK. You can catch the boat from there to the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa at Walt Disney World and prices are very reasonable for such a lovely setting.
    On to the food:
    French Onion Soup

[​IMG]

Tomato-Basil Soup

[​IMG]

Kids Grilled Steak

[​IMG]

Kids grilled chicken

[​IMG]

Reuben Sandwich - Corned Beef, Swiss Cheese, Thousand Island Dressing and Sauerkraut on Rye Bread

[​IMG]

Rustic Chicken Sandwich - Herb-marinated Chicken Breast with Cold Smoked Vine Ripe Tomatoes, Cheddar, Pesto Mayonnaise, and Arugula Salad served on warm Ciabatta Bread with Marinated Cucumber Salad

[​IMG]

Angus Chuck Cheeseburger - served with French Fries

[​IMG]

Worms in dirt

[​IMG]
    Good service, food came out quickly, was hot and tasted good. We all left full and happy. We love the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa at Walt Disney World cafe and we have always got walk-ins for lunch. Hoping to try it for breakfast next trip. :eat:

9. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( breakfast ) Dec '08

We're not big breakfast eaters and ususally grab a bagel or toast in the lounge if we feel like it, but we fancied something hot and decided to walk over to Kona to see if there was a wait. Even though it looked busy, we were told 10 minutes and given a pager. :eek:hyes:
    I was very tempted to order Tonga Toast which I had last time, but decided on the two eggs any way, fried for me. :eat:
    Ham and cheese omelette

[​IMG]

Kids Bacon & scrambled

[​IMG]

Kids Goofy toast

[​IMG]

Two eggs any way

[​IMG]
    Service was very good, we were brought plenty of juice and coffee and everyone ate up except for me. I don't like potatoes for breakfast and should have just asked for them to be left off. :doh: We'll definitely be going back. Yummy rating 8/10

10. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( dinner ) Dec '08

Back to one our our favourites for dinner! :eat: The lounge area was jam packed with people but most were waiting for tables at 'Ohana. We were told our wait would only be around 10 minutes, so we took our pager and went to do a bit of pin trading in the stores. Once the pager went off we headed back upstairs and were shown to our table. I always hope we don't get the tables along the rail. Far too public for me having every passer by gawping at your plate! :hehe: Thankfully we were toward the back of the restaurant.
    We more or less knew what we were having before we sat down. :hehe: Like Hayley, I miss the filet :( and also chose the shrimp and scallops. Surprised huh?! :whistle:
    Here's what we had:
    Pot stickers

[​IMG]

Shrimp and coconut curry soup

[​IMG]

Pomegranate pork chop

[​IMG]

Macademia crusted chicken

[​IMG]

Shrimp and Scallops

[​IMG]

Kids Cheeseburger

[​IMG]

White chocolate cheesecake

[​IMG]

Kids Ice cream sundae

[​IMG]

chocolate fondue

[​IMG]

All the food was absolutely scrumptious and service was very good. This visit confirmed what we already knew.....Kona rocks! :D
    10/10 :thumbs:

11. AlecK

Maya Grill Dec '08

We hadn't eaten at The Maya Grill before. In reviews, people seem to love it or hate it, but we found ourselves switching a few ADR's and decided to try and get in. Concierge got us a table no problem, in fact we were given several time slots.
    We arrived at Coronado Springs approx 20 minutes before our ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) time, got parked right near the door and headed in. We had a quick look around the shop and I think it's probably one of the best resort shops. :yes: We passed The Pepper Market which seemed chaotic, people queueing everywhere, but I think there was some kind of construction going on. :umm: Anyway....we carried on to the Maya Grill podium where we were 'greeted' by the most miserable girl ever. From my basic knowledge of 'grunt and point' I think she said "your table will be ready shortly, wait over there". :hehe:
    We waited about 20 minutes past our ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) time, even though there were plenty of empty tables :shrug: Once seated though, things started to improve. Our server was lovely, very happy and chatty, but not too OTT.
    Now i've waffled on......we'll get to the food! :D

12. AlecK

Maya Grill

We started with a drink, Sprite for the girls, a HUGE :eek: Margarita on the rocks for me and an O'Dools for Al as he was driving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The server brought us some bread and dunky stuff, can't remember what it was. :hehe:

[​IMG]

You'll see during my reports I love a margarita and scallops will make several appearances! :hehe:

For starters, Al had soup of the day which was Chicken, Chilli and Chorizo. The girls had Mozzarella Sticks and I had 'Choice Bay Scallops'. Everything got a big thumbs up. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a drinks refill, but I switched to water, those Margaritas were strong! :hehe:
    The next course arrived seconds after our app plates had been cleared. I would have preferred a short break, but it's better than waiting and you can't accuse them of being slow!

Alec chose the Maya Filet Mignon, I chose the Beef Tenderloin Tips and both girls chose the kids Tenderloin Tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Everything was absolutely delicious, but the portions were way too big!

13. AlecK

Maya Grill

We'd walked past the dessert samples on the way in and really wanted to try some, so left some of our meals. :sorry:

For dessert, Callie had the ice-cream that came with her meal, Lois declined hers and we agreed to share the 'Spiced Churros'. Al had the 'Chocolate Concorde' that Cal very kindly agreed to help him with. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The churros were okay, but I wished i'd eaten my meal instead and skipped dessert. I just felt really sick. I could hear my mum saying "Your eyes are bigger than your belly" :whistle:

To sum it up, we had a lovely meal here. Our server could not have been better and the food was all good. If this is 1 credit on the dining plan, it's a really good option given that most other 1 credit places only use cheaper cuts of steak now and filets are fast disappearing off menus. We'll definitely be going back! :thumbs:
    Score: 8/10.....misery guts and our wait for a table lost them 2 points.

14. AlecK

Narcoossee's Dec '08

Narcoossee's has become one of our 'must do's. We tend to frequent restaurants on the monorail while we're at The Poly so we don't have to drive. :hehe: The location of Narcoossee's is fabulous, sat out on the water at the GF. For those that aren't familiar with it, they have a balcony where you can go out and watch the fireworks. :fworks:

[​IMG]

We never seem to wait more than 5 minutes here and this time was the same. We got a table on the higher deck with a great view. Our server came over to introduce himself and take our drinks order. I had one of these:

Patron pamarita

[​IMG]

On to the food. Some of these you will have seen in our previous reviews, that's because they're so good, we can't resist! This is what we chose:

Kids portion of seafood bisque

[​IMG]
    Seafood bisque

[​IMG]

Crispy Duck Roll

[​IMG]

surf and turf

[​IMG]

Filet mignon

[​IMG]

kids filet mignon

[​IMG]

I think we skipped dessert.....or i've lost the pics. :hehe: The meal was lovely. Great food, great service, great wine and the company wasn't bad! :wink: We'll be back! :D

15. AlecK

Wolfgang Puck Cafe Dec '08

A quick review this one. It was toward the end of the trip when we were fed up of eating! :wink: No ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) booked, we just walked in and were seated immediately. This is Puck's Cafe on the West Side, not Puck Express at The Market Place. :)
    We all had pizza, nice and easy. Pepperoni for Al, Four Cheese for me, Cheese for the kids. For dessert, both girls had the create your own sundae and Al and I shared the Key Lime Pie. All very delicious and good service. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. AlecK

Yachtsman Steakhouse Dec '08

Yachtsman was our choice for 'Christmas dinner'.
    By now, you're probably realising I like my scallops and lobster. Tonight was meat eaters night. I don't think there was any lobster on, but scallops made an appearance and it would've been rude not to!
    We strolled across from the villas and arrived about 10 minutes early. I don't think we've ever been seated at Yachtsman on time, so we checked in, got our pager and headed to the bar for a pre-dinner cocktail. :cheers: No sooner had our drinks arrived than the pager went off, :hehe: so we took our drinks to the table with us.
    We had a lovely table right beside the fire. Our server came over to introduce herself and told us she would bring water as we already had drinks.
    I bent down to get my bag and realised it wasn't there Alec rushed back to the bar to see if I had left it in the booth there....no. :( MIL said "Are you sure you brought it?" No, not at all. To put my mind at rest, Al decided to run back to BoardWalk Villas Resort at Walt Disney World Orlando and check and there it was....in the kitchen. :oops: I think too many scallops must cause forgetfulness. :yes:
    The menu had something for everyone and here's what we had:
    Seared Maine Diver Scallops with Frisée and Shiitake Mushroom Salad tossed with warm Smoked Bacon Vinaigrette

[​IMG]

Lobster Bisque - Maine Lobster and Creme Fraiche finished with Brandy

[​IMG]

Crispy Veal Sweetbreads - with creamed leeks, chanterelles, madeira-veal reduction and truffle oil

[​IMG]

Yachtsman Filet Mignon with Peppercorn Brandy Sauce and Potato Gratin with Diamond White Cheddar

[​IMG]

Roasted Free-Range Chicken Breast - crushed fall root vegetables, rainbow Swiss chard, and toasted almond butter

[​IMG]

Slow Roasted Prime Rib - 14-oz Prime Rib with Horseradish Mashed Potatoes and Au Jus

[​IMG]

Kids Mac and cheese

[​IMG]

Yachtsman Filet Mignon - 8-ounce Filet with Mashed Potatoes and a Red Wine Sauce

[​IMG]

Kids steak

[​IMG]

Kids Brownies

[​IMG]

Assortment of Artisan Cheese - accompanied with Toasted Fig and Anise Baguette

[​IMG]

Selection of deserts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Service was excellent! :clap: Drinks were refilled, good wine was recommended and all the food was absolutely delicious. Yachtsman went straight back on our 'must do' list. :thumbs: