1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The K's July '09 Food Trippie

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Dining & Restaurants' started by AlecK, Feb 2, 2011.

1. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

Virgin Atlantic VS75
    Artist Point ~ Dinner
    Bob Evans ~ Breakfast
    Paradiso 37 ~ Lunch
    Jiko ~ Dinner
    Sanaa ~ Lunch
    Coral Reef ~ Lunch
    Applebee's ~ Dinner
    Grand Floridian Cafe ~ Lunch
    Cracker Barrel ~ Lunch
    Logan's Roadhouse ~ Dinner
    California Grill ~ Dinner
    Red Lobster ~ Dinner
    Raglan Road ~ Lunch
    Kona Cafe ~ Dinner
    Contempo Cafe ~ Lunch
    Le Cellier ~ Dinner
    Sweet Tomatoes ~ Lunch
    Captain Cooks ~ Breakfast and Lunch
    Pepper Market ~ Lunch

2. AlecK

Virgin Atlantic VS 75 ( lunch )

First up was our delightful meal in PE on the plane.....not! :lol:

All pretty horrible apart from the champagne and chocs IMO, but here are pics anyway. Al ordered the surprise as we flew on my birthday. :D

VA champers

[​IMG]

VA choccies

[​IMG]

VA kids meal ~ some kind of pasta and meat (?) Cal declared it 'puke'. :lol:

[​IMG]

VA adult meal ~ Beef of some sort, could sole your shoes with it.

[​IMG]

The hot bread I chose was olive bread, I HATE olives! :hehe:

Also served were a sandwich (ham and tomato chutney or cheese and coleslaw ~ I skipped both) and a vanilla ice cream which was probably the best thing offered. Glad I took some snacks.

3. AlecK

Artist Point

Our next taste of real food :D was my birthday dinner at Artist Point. We arrived 10 minutes early and asked for a window table. My wish was granted! :wand:

[​IMG]

Al was driving but I started with a Margarita. :beer2:
    [​IMG]

We noticed people stood on the balcony and wondered what was going on and our server reminded us the shuttle was about to launch. We popped our heads out just in time and saw it leave. Though it was a distance away, at least we can say we've seen it now! :D

The server brought us some bread to start:

[​IMG]

We both decided on the portobello mushroom soup for starter. I'd been dreaming of this for months, it's soooooo good! :eat:

[​IMG]

Lois chose the kids plain pasta:

[​IMG]

Cal also chose the kids pasta but with cheese sauce:

[​IMG]

Al decided on the Wild Boar ~ very tasty apparently!

[​IMG]

I had the Buffalo Tenderloin ~ it was okay but despite it being medium as I asked for it was a bit tough. Not bad though!

[​IMG]

Side of sweet potatoes

[​IMG]

and garlic fries

[​IMG]

With a glass of wine, 2 Shirley Temples (with refills) and 3 x O'Douls, the bill was $170 with tip. Service was excellent!

A lovely start to our vacation! :D

4. AlecK

Bob Evans ( breakfast )

We'd booked breakfast at Flying Fish for our first morning as we thought we'd be up at half past stupid. We overslept though (must have been the champers, wine and margarita! :whistle: ) so after showering, we decided to jump in the car and head towards the 192 from our home at Treehouse Villas.

We ended up at Bob Evans, a place we'd been to once before but enjoyed. Here's what we had!

Paula ~ Fruit and banana bread ~ $2.99 Very yummy and just enough for me, i'm not a big breakfast fan. Swilled down with a few coffee's. :coffee:

[​IMG]

Al had Ham and Cheddar omelette ~ $7.49 ~ verdict was very nice!

[​IMG]

Callie's 'kids sunny scrambles' ~ $2.49 ~ all disappeared so must have been ok!

[​IMG]

Lois had the 'Farmer's Choice' which was any 2 eggs with potatoes and either bacon, sausage or ham ~ $7.99

[​IMG]

and french toast

[​IMG]

The bill came to $35 with orange juice, milks, coffee and tip. We all enjoyed it. :yes:

5. AlecK

Paradiso 37 ( lunch )

We hadn't booked to go to Paradiso 37, but were in the area so decided to call in for lunch.

The restaurant is quite nice inside, but doesn't seem very big. I believe they have an outdoor area with views of the river to DTD but it was way too hot to think about sitting outside. Gimme that air con! :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Food was pretty good overall. Not wow, but nothing bad either.

We shared the potato cakes ~ $5.99 they were a bit bland.

[​IMG]

Al had the Street Cart Chillidogs ~ $9.99

[​IMG]

Callie's kids cheeseburger ~ $6.95

[​IMG]

Lois chose pulled pork sliders ~ $12.99

[​IMG]

I had the Mahi Mahi sliders ~ $12.99

[​IMG]

With 4 drinks and tip the total was $63.00. We couldn't use our DDE card or AP here for discount.

6. AlecK

Jiko

Next up is Jiko! :wiggle:
    This is one of my faves. I've had one bad meal here in all our visits but i'm glad we tried it again as it's been spot on ever since. Everyone agreed everything was delicious. :eat:

I started with a 'Mount Kilimanta' cocktail. Not a clue what was in it, but it was good! :drunk: ` $9.25

[​IMG]

Along came the yummy bread and curry butter

[​IMG]

I wanted to try something different, but just couldn't resist what I had last time.....the ostrich app ~ $13.00

[​IMG]

Al and Lois shared the chicken apple flatbread ~ $10.00

[​IMG]

For main course, Cal had the kids filet ~ $13.00

[​IMG]

Al had the pork fillet ~ $29.00

[​IMG]

Lois had the signature Filet Mignon with mac cheese ~ $39.00

[​IMG]

I had the short ribs....TDF! :eat: ~ $37.00

[​IMG]

I was absolutley ready to pop but the server brought me a complimentary birthday desert!

[​IMG]

Al chose the no sugar pear dessert ~ $8.00

[​IMG]

Chocolate 'fun-do' for Lois ~ $7.00

[​IMG]

and Ice cream for Cal which we don't have a pic of for some reason. Must have been just a plain one ~ $4.00

I also ordered a glass of chardonnay. I let the server choose for me after telling him I didn't want anything too oaked. He chose well.......but when I checked the bill it was $16.00 a glass :eek: I want 2 bottles for that at home. :lol:

A wonderful meal though in a wonderful setting. If you haven't been there yet, give it a try, you won't be disappointed! :thumbs:

7. AlecK

Sanaa ( Lunch )

Here comes our review of the new kid on the block! We booked lunch at Sanaa and used our DDE card to valet for free. The lobby at Kidani Village is pretty small compared to Animal Kingdom Lodge resort at Walt Disney World, but very pretty.

Sanaa is down the stairs and we were greeted by several CM's doing not very much. It was midweek though and I guess everyone else was hitting the parks. :hehe:

[​IMG]

The restaurant is really well themed IMO, very colourful! We were lucky enough to be shown to a window table with a view of the savannah.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's get to the food!

Al had the samosas. They were a touch to spicy for me, but he enjoyed them! $7.99

[​IMG]

I chose the lamb kefta. It didn't look like I expected and I hate meatballs :hehe: but these were delicious. The sauce was sweet and not too spicy. $8.99

[​IMG]

The kids menu was pretty good, a bit different to the usual and they chose tomato soup with cheese toast. Kids meals were $7.50 for 3 courses

[​IMG]

For my main course, I had the Angus Burger. This was sooooo good! It was sat on a naan bread with lots of crispy salad and raita dressing. $10.99

[​IMG]

Al had the choice of two slow cooked curries and chose beef rib and green thai shrimp ~ $18.99

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids chicken

[​IMG]

Lois had the kids burger

[​IMG]

kids ice cream sundae

[​IMG]

Kids choc cake

[​IMG]

We shared the sample desert, just cos we wanted to see what it looked like. :lol: $6.99

[​IMG]

It was a lovely relaxed lunch and we enjoyed everything. Service was good and we had a great view. We wandered out the back for a look at the animals up close before taking a peek at the pool and decided we'd definitely like to stay here some time. :simba:

8. AlecK

Coral Reef ( lunch )

On to Coral Reef!

We hadn't made an ADR, but got to Epcot not having had any breakfast and decided to ask where we could get a lunch ressie as we had no dinner plans. We had our pick of anywhere except Le Cellier (had an ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) for there later in the trip anyway) so we chose Coral Reef as we hadn't been for a while. We got a great table on the lower tier opposite the tanks.

Kids lobster soup ~ $1.75

[​IMG]

Shrimp and Lobster Cake ~ $11.49

[​IMG]

Scallops ~ yum! $10.99

[​IMG]

Beef Short Rib ~ $24.99

[​IMG]

Mahi Mahi ~ also yum! ~ $20.99

[​IMG]

Kids chicken

[​IMG]

Kids pizza

[​IMG]

It was all nice and service was very good. We all love the theming in here. The bill was $90.00

9. AlecK

Applebee's ( lunch )

Another offsite place we decided to try for the first time was Applebee's. We've passed it many times and wondered what kind of food they served so Al ran in and got a menu while we waited in the car. A quick glance and we all agreed we could find something we fancied so in we went. It was pretty busy but we were seated straight away close to the bar. The kids loved watching the cocktails being made!

The server came and took our order for a few starters to share:

Mozzarella Sticks ~ $6.79

[​IMG]

Onion rings ~ $5.29

[​IMG]

They were pretty good and more than enough for the 4 of us! :hehe:

3 of us chose sliders at $7.49

I had the cheeseburger sliders

[​IMG]

Lois had the pulled pork sliders

[​IMG]

Al had southern chicken sliders ~ apologies for his starting before i'd took the pic! :lol:

[​IMG]

Cal had kids sliders at $4.99, same as mine but 2 sliders rather than 3.

We all really enjoyed it and thought the prices were great, we'll definitely go back. With drinks and tip, the total was $50!

10. AlecK

Grand Floridian Cafe ( lunch )

On to the Grand Floridian Cafe. Again, no ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) and it was Al's birthday today so we just strolled across from The Poly and it was pretty quiet.

Our server here was a bit strange, he seemed really distracted and we had to keep reminding him of things. It was all a bit Fawlty Towers, but in a harmless funny kinda way. :lol:

Anyway......on to the grub!

Lois decided to try the broccoli cheddar soup. She didn't like it but Cal did and finished it all. Very tasty! :thumbs: $5.49

[​IMG]

Al went with his favourite.....french onion soup. $6.99

[​IMG]

This was my starter. It was shrimp on corn pancakes (?) with brandy sauce. Couldn't taste the brandy but it was delicious. :eat: $9.99

[​IMG]

Al had the Grand Fl burger. It had lobster on it and looked very yummy! $17.99

[​IMG]

I went with my trusty reuben sandwich. They're so good her I couldn't resist. $10.49

[​IMG]

Lois had a cheese burger $11.99

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids filet $8.99

[​IMG]

Birthday boy got a special birthday cupcake and we sang Happy Birthday very quietly! :D

[​IMG]

Total came to $80

11. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( lunch )

One of several visits to Kona Cafe! No ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) again, we just dropped by for lunch and were seated straight away.

Al's fave here, the Coconut curry shrimp soup ~ $6.99

[​IMG]

Lois and I shared our 'must have' the pot stickers ~ $7.49

[​IMG]

I chose the mahi mahi & noodles. I don't really eat fries and get so sick of seeing them so noodles made a nice change. $18.99

[​IMG]

Island Chicken sandwich ~ $13.49

[​IMG]

kids cheeseburger ~ $8.99 for meal plus sundae

[​IMG]

Lois tried the pulled pork tacos. They were pretty good! $ 11.99

[​IMG]

Al and I shared the banana creme brulee ~ $5.99

[​IMG]

Lois had the Kilahuea Torte which she said was okay but too dry. $5.49

[​IMG]

Miss Callie had the kids ice cream sundae that came with her meal.

[​IMG]

Total came to $68.00

12. AlecK

Cracker Barrel ( Lunch )

A quick lunch offsite next at Cracker Barrel. We love it here, where else can you dine and then shop?! :D

I had the shrimp platter DELICIOUS!! Just what I wanted it was nice and light and had a couple of hushpuppies in there too. Lois ate some of the fries with her egg or I would have had a different side. :eat: $8.99

[​IMG]

Lois had the eggs and toast $4.68

[​IMG]

Al had a bacon cheeseburger $7.99

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids cheeseburger $4.59 inc drink

[​IMG]

The bill came to $34.00 less than our CS usually are onsite and much better quality with good service.

13. AlecK

Logan's Roadhouse ( dinner )

Next stop....Logans! :D We've been here several times now. Steaks are good value and portions are huge! apologies for the poor pics, we were right in the middle of the restaurant under a red light :hehe: and didn't use the flash on some. :blush:

Hot buttered bread is brought while you decide what you fancy.

[​IMG]

We chose the 'pick 3' combo starter of skins, moz sticks and chicken tenders ~ $8.99

[​IMG]

Alec had the 8oz filet ~ $17.99 and I had the same but 6oz ~ $14.99

[​IMG]

kids steak tips for Miss Callie ~ $2.99 !!! BARGAIN!!

[​IMG]

Lois had the pulled pork ~ $7.99 with sweet potato ~ 99c

[​IMG]

The bill was $65

14. AlecK

California Grill

So on to The California Grill!

This is a 'must do' for us every trip. We love going early as it's not as noisy as around firework time. The electric blinds are down and once the sun starts to set, they raise them up and the view is just fabulous!

When asked if we were celebrating anything, we told them this was just going to be a dinner with a little surprise for the kids for doing so well at school. Our window table had been decorated with Mickey confetti which Cal put to good use! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu as always and advised Al not to get the chicken. Not that it was bad, but there were better things! :lol: There were a few new things on the menu and it was tough to choose!

I was tempted from my usual goat cheese ravioli by the lobster & goat cheese risotto. It was okay, but not WOW for the $18 it cost!

[​IMG]

Al had the duck confit and cherry marmalade flatbread ~ $14

[​IMG]

Lois chose the brentwood sweet corn bisque. It was pretty tasteless and needed lots of seasoning. Overpriced at $10.

[​IMG]

Both girls chose the oak fired filet of beef off the adult menu. The kids steak here is a sirloin I think and pretty fatty. We'd rather pay more and have them actually eat it. $44.00

[​IMG]

After being talked out of the chicken, Al had the Florida Stone Bass. It was overcooked and dry. $35.00

[​IMG]

I went with my favourite, the Grilled Pork Tenderloin with goat cheese. When you order this, they let you know that chef prepares it pink and i'm okay with that. This was pink but was really chewy like it was overcooked. Not at all what it usually is and I was disappointed. The sauce wasn't nice either. :(

[​IMG]

Dessert was the girls surprise! When we stayed at the Contemp last year, we had ordered this, but it never turned up. :rolleyes: So we called private dining at the CR and they agreed to have it sent to CG for us. It's a white chocolate monorail (duh! :lol: ) with truffles. It was $40. Not worth that IMO, but the girls thought it was pretty cool so that's all that mattered. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Overall, the meal was a little disappointing. Not sure whether it was the chef's day off or whether they just can't cope because we usually have such good meals here. The prices are getting out of hand too, but I guess they have to justify it being 2 credits on the DP as it's the most popular Signature restaurant. I also have to say that it's like a zoo in there later on and it's not got that special feel it used to have. The dress code is non existent which is a shame for those of us that like somewhere a bit nicer and like to dress up a little. We will go back, but only once per trip (soon after opening) whereas we used to go twice.

15. AlecK

Red Lobster ( dinner )

Another offsite place next ~ Red Lobster!

We'd been told for many years not to go here as it's not great, but decided to give it a go. Lois refused to get out of the car and did her best Kevin and perry impression "so not fair.....I don't like fish/lobster....blah, blah blah..." I told her to make sure she left the car window down as she'd boil in there waiting for us......she soon got out! :D

Once inside she decided it wasn't so bad when she saw her favourite mozza sticks and the lady said she could have them as a main course. Such a drama! :lol:

We were brought some bread

[​IMG]

Al had the crab cakes ~ $8.99

[​IMG]

we shared some lobster stuffed mushrooms ~ $7.99

[​IMG]

Al had garlic shrimp scampi & crab stuffed flounder combo ~ $16.50

[​IMG]

....with coleslaw ~ just in case you don't know what that looks like :lmao:

[​IMG]

I had the lobster, shrimp and scallop combo ~ $24.25

[​IMG]

...with caesar salad

[​IMG]

Lois got her fave, mozza sticks and baked potato $8.75

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids chicken breast $5.29 (with dessert and drink!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 3 of us shared this cookie and ice cream dessert. OMG, best dessert ever! We're going back if only for this! :eat:

[​IMG]

We all enjoyed it here. The bill was only $92 with tip which I thought was very reasonable for what we'd had. We'll be back!!

16. AlecK

Raglan Road ( lunch )

Raglan Road fans look away now.....you won't like this! :whistle:

After a morning at DTD we dropped by Raglan Road with no ADR. It was deserted! Maybe 4 or 5 other tables being served? Great, a nice quick lunch......NOT! We were given menus as we sat down. The kids were not impressed the colouring/puzzle sheet was no more, just a standard printed menu. We waited a good 15 minutes without our server even coming over and getting us drinks. Seeing that we were ready to walk out, another server came over and sorted our drinks and took our food order.

So after another long wait the food eventually comes and it's bad. Really bad. My usual scallop forks were not nice at all, they just tasted of cold oil. The kids had ordered chicken as the main and they had the same thing. The batter was horrible!

Bad service, bad food. At $73 for lunch, we won't be rushing back. Shame really because it used to be good. Don't know what's going on there. As it happened the big boss was visiting that day according to the girl in the shop. I hope he was there to kick butt! :nono:

Here are the pics.

scallop forks

[​IMG]

tasteless soup

[​IMG]

My boring lobster club sandwich, also tasted of nothing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

shepherds pie ~ this was the only thing that was ok

[​IMG]

kids chicken

[​IMG]

17. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( 2 dinner trips combined ) post 1

This one is for 2 separate dinner trips to Kona, but i'll put them all here so it's easier to follow. One visit we had an ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) for, the other we just ran through the buildings and got a walk in. It was in the middle of a thunderstorm so we decided not to drive out.

First up are the kids cocktails ~ Virgin Sand In Your Pants, $3.99! :D

[​IMG]

This was recommended by the server, a Captains Mai-Tai ~ $ 8.25 ~ I liked! :cocktail:

[​IMG]

On the second visit I chose the twinkly drink. This has replaced the YOAMD glowtini. It's a Magical Star. Can't remember what was in it but it was also good! $ 9.75

[​IMG]

The bread is still served with dinner:

[​IMG]

Lois and Al shared these sticky wings ~ $12.99

[​IMG]

I had.......pot stickers! (quelle surprise huh?!) :whistle: $7.49

[​IMG]

2nd trip Al had the crab cakes ~ $10.49

[​IMG]

For mains I had the shrimp & scallops. Absolutley yum! A lovely light meal....still room for dessert! :eat: $20.99

[​IMG]

Al had the shrimp and noodles ~ $17.99

[​IMG]

The pork chop ~ $21.99

[​IMG]

My Beef Teriyaki. Nice, but bring back the filet! A bit too fatty for me. $27.99

[​IMG]

18. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( 2 dinner trips combined ) post 2

Kids fish ~ $7.59. It was nice to see fish somewhere, but it was pretty dry and not that nice. :(

[​IMG]

Cheeseburger ~ $7

[​IMG]

Kids hot dog ~ $7

[​IMG]

Choccy fondue ~ $6.99

[​IMG]

Coconut cream pie dessert ~ $5.49

[​IMG]

White cheesecake dessert $5.49

[​IMG]

Sugar free apple stack $ 5.49

[​IMG]

The classic kona cone! $5.99

[​IMG]

No complaints about anything except the kids fish. Service was excellent both visits. We also had a bottle of wine both nights. Kings Estate Pinot Gris at $45 a bottle.

The first night's bill was $180, the second $182 both with tip. We've booked again for our first night next trip! :eat:

19. AlecK

Contempo Cafe ( QS lunch )

After a morning in MK, we jumped off the monorail on our way back to The Poly and decided to try The Contempo Cafe for lunch. This is the counter service at the CR where the Concourse used to be.

Turkey sandwich. This was soooo good! It had apples, cheese and some sweet sauce. Can't remember what exactly, but I remember I liked it! :D $8.89

[​IMG]

cheese flatbread for Lois! $6.99

[​IMG]

Steak flatbread ~ $8.29

[​IMG]

Kids cheeseburger ~ $4.99 with fries and a cookie

[​IMG]

We shared the soup of the day which was a corn chowder. It was delicious! $2.59

[​IMG]

With drinks and a bag of crisps (chips!), the total was $44.00. We all really enjoyed it and it was lovely and quiet compared to the CS in MK. :thumbs:

20. AlecK

Le Cellier ( Dinner )

Le Cellier was next for dinner. We managed to book this online the day before.

It wasn't busy outside which is a good sign or you can be there long past your ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) time. We were seated bang on time. Inside was busy and I swear they have sardined more tables in. There are literally inches between tables and you can't have a conversation without everyone hearing. :nono:

I started with a Torontopolitan cocktail $9.25 and Al had a Moosehead Ale $4.75

On to the food:

Al had the duck three ways ~ $12.99

[​IMG]

I had the crab and corn custards ~ $10.99

[​IMG]

Lois had the chipotle sausage, just for the polenta underneath. :hehe: $9.99

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids cheese soup $5.49 which she took a tiny taste of and declared 'puke'. I agree with her, it smells like sick to me but some people must like it or it wouldn't be their most famous dish. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Both girls ordered the adult filet but switched to potato gratin instead of rice. $34.99

[​IMG]

Al and I had the mushroom filet with risotto and white truffle sauce $34.99

[​IMG]

We used our DDE card to cover the tip but the bill was still $209.00. Food was just okay, not fantastic. I can see why it's popular with the dining plan gang. It's one of only a few places they haven't removed the decent cuts of steak, though i'm sure if they could they would and it appears you are getting good value for your credits. I certainly wouldn't be paying to eat here at peak season prices, you can get better off site for your money.

When we were leaving, the lobby and outside was manic, dining that hour earlier was a good decision. The heavens had opened and from past experiences standing outside in the rain is not fun! :hehe: