1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The K's Oct/Nov '09 Food Trippie

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Dining & Restaurants' started by AlecK, Feb 2, 2011.

1. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

Included in this report :

Kona Cafe ~ dinner
    Kona Cafe ~ Breakfast
    Captain's Grille ~ Lunch
    Fuddruckers ~ Lunch
    Maya Grill ~ Dinner
    Tony's Town Square ~ Lunch
    Olivia's (Old Key West Vacation Club Resort at WDW) ~ breakfast
    TGI Friday's ~ Lunch
    Citrico's ~ Dinner
    Big River Grille ~ Lunch
    T-Rex ~ Lunch
    Flying Fish Cafe ~ Dinner
    Sunshine Seasons ~ Breakfast
    Liberty Inn ~ Lunch
    Blue Zoo ~ Dinner
    BJ's restaurant & Brewhouse ~ Lunch
    California Grill ~ Dinner
    California Pizza Kitchen ~ Lunch
    Artist Point ~ Dinner
    Grand Floridian Garden View Lounge ~ Afternoon Tea
    Top of The World Lounge BLT ~ Snack
    Columbia Harbour House ~ Lunch
    The Wave ~ Dinner
    Jiko ~ Dinner
    Cracker Barrel ~ Lunch
    Turf Club ~ Dinner
    Contempo Cafe ~ Lunch

2. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( dinner )

Our first evening we were very tired after the flight that seemed to take forever, so strolled over to Kona.

A cocktail for me and beer for Al while we pretended to read the menu because we were going to try something new. :whistle:
    Not sure what this was, i think it was the Magical Star cocktail.

[​IMG]

I chose the Pot Stickers.....for a change!

[​IMG]

Coconut Curry Shrimp Soup for Al.....quelle suprise huh?! :lol:

[​IMG]

Lois didn't fancy anything off the kids or adults, so asked for Pot Stickers and Fries. :hehe:

[​IMG]

Shrimp and Scallops........YUM!!! :eat:

[​IMG]

Ginger Crusted Ribeye. While this was tasty, I wish they would bring back the filet!

[​IMG]

Kids Cheeseburger...the first of many for Callie! :hehe: She barely touched it.

[​IMG]

Everything was tasty, no complaints at all. Service was excellent and we were in there less than an hour. We were finding it hard to keep our eyes open and went straight back to the room, skipping dessert. I even slept through the EWP and Wishes. :fworks:

3. AlecK

Kona Cafe ( breakfast )

Up next, more Kona Cafe but breakfast this time. We got a walk in at opening as we were up so early.

Adult french toast for me. I thought about the Tonga Toast, but couldn't do it justice. :hehe: This was tasty, but I couldn't finish it all!

[​IMG]

2 eggs for Miss Lois. Very good apparently, but she only ever eats the yolk, a strange habit she got from her dad! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Ribeye steak + 2 eggs. Al thought it'd be rude not to when they put a steak on the breakfast menu. Think it was good, it all disappeared anyway!

[​IMG]

Kids french toast

[​IMG]

Great service again. Not difficult as there were only about 3 other tables in at opening. :hehe: We all enjoyed it and will definitely go back.

With 3 OJ's and a chocolate milk, the bill was $51 after our TIW discount.

4. AlecK

Captain's Grille ( lunch )

Captain's Grille (formerly Yacht Club Galley) ~ Lunch

This was another spur of the moment walk in. We were in the area and decided to try it out after having a nice breakfast here a few trips ago. We were given a pager and told 15 minutes but it went off after only about 5. I was surprised how busy it was, looked like the convention gang had almost filled the place. I decided i'm having a fake AGM here next year! :whistle:

On to the food.....

Clam Chowder for Al -

[​IMG]

Shrimp & Crab cake for me

[​IMG]

Kids salad

[​IMG]

Lobster roll ~ I give this :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: There was lots of lobster in it compared to others i've had and it was delicious!

[​IMG]

Fish 'n' Chips ~ very nice!

[​IMG]

Chicken Caesar Salad for Lois ~ it was nice but didn't seem to go down no matter how much she ate! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Kids nuggets

[​IMG]

Chocolate Profiterole

[​IMG]

Key Lime Pie ~ TDF!!! This was sooooo good and I loved the choc on top.

[​IMG]

This is supposed to be chocolate cheesecake according to the bill but doesn't look very chocolatey? :unsure: Anyway, it disappeared. :D

[​IMG]

Kids sundae ~ cue 20 minutes of making it look pretty only to scrape it all back off and only eat the ice-cream. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

We spent the afternoon veg'd out by the pool and skipped dinner. :hehe: The bill with 4 drinks was $95.

5. AlecK

Fuddrucker's ( lunch )

A quick trip off site and we found ourselves near the new Fuddruckers at the Crossroads. We've been to the one at Festival bay so decided to go in.

The burgers here are huge and when you go in, you can see the size of the half pund, etc. in the fridges. You place your order, get your cups to choose your own drink, find a table and wait for your name to be shouted over the tannoy. We waited about 15 minutes for it all to be cooked fresh. They have servers that will go and get your refills or dessert etc.

Alec had the mushroom & swiss chicken burger ~ $7.59 & $2.59 for onion rings.

[​IMG]

3 cheese burger for me! ~ (think it was 1/3 lb as that was the smallest? :unsure: a drink and fries for $10.29 The 'fries' are actually very nice wedges and I usually hate wedges.

[​IMG]

Chicken Caesar Salad ~ $8.29

[​IMG]

Kids Cheeseburger ~ $4.49 included a drink and a cookie

[​IMG]

The whole bill with 2 more drinks was $40. We left a small tip for the server guy as he brought Cal's cookie over and an extra one for Lois too. :hehe: Burgers were good but they did have that cooked on the grill slightly greasy taste to them. At least they're not like sawdust though. The salad was pretty good, you can't really mess that up though can you :hehe:

Fudd's gets a 7 out of 10. The loos were a bit tatty (not dirty though) with broken locks on some doors etc. despite it being fairly new. Little things like that bug me. :whistle: Definitely somewhere to visit that's quite cheap and fast if you're in the area though.

6. AlecK

Maya Grill

With no ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) booked, we decided to try for a walk in at Maya Grill. We were told it would be a 5 minute wait which it was. Got a nice booth at the back of the restaurant. I really like it here, it has a nice feel to it. Our server was called Cecilia and she was on the ball with drinks a few minutes after we were seated.

First we were brought some bread and dipping oil

[​IMG]

Mozzarella sticks for Lois!

[​IMG]

Scallops to start for me, they were *really* good!

[​IMG]

Cal chose the nachos

[​IMG]

Al had the crispy gulf shrimp

[​IMG]

For main course Al had the Pork Loin Salteado

[​IMG]

I chose the swordfish steak. This was okay, but the seasoning on top was HOT!! :eek: I had to scrape it all off. :blush:

[​IMG]

Lois chose the chicken parmesan

[​IMG]

Cal had the kids grilled cheese

[​IMG]

We skipped dessert as we were pretty full. The bill was $130 with drinks. The only minus point here was that they made us pay for an adult meal for Lois. No biggie, but it was basically a few more spoons of pasta to justify the price and she hardly touched it. It just seems a waste. :shrug: We'll keep this place on our reserve list, we've never had a problem getting a walk in.

7. AlecK

Tony's Town Square ( lunch )

It's been a long time since we ate at Tony's so decided to call in at City Hall to see if there was any availability after looking at a menu. Noon was available so we took it as we'd had no breakfast.

Despite it being almost empty when we arrived, it took forever for our server to appear with menus and take our drinks order and we were seconds from walking out.

The menu isn't huge, but we all found something we fancied trying. For starters, I chose the Pumpkin soup. It was really nice what I got, Cal decided she'd share it too! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Al had the tomato mozzarella salad. Looks thrilling huh? :hehe:

[​IMG]

After the starters, we commented that things may have got better since we were last here........

I had the panini of the day. It was SMOTHERED in some kind of sauce that was similar to horseradish which I hate. There was no mention of this from our server, he just said it was ham and cheese and I couldn't eat it. It was HORRIBLE!

[​IMG]

Lois had the Bianca cheese flatbread

[​IMG]

Al had the shrimp pasta which he said was oily and tasteless!

[​IMG]

Cheeseburger calzone for Cal. The idea of a burger in a calzone sounded weird to me but she insisted on trying it. After one small bite, she declared it "puke" and I have to agree. It was like eating cardboard and had a weird aniseed taste?!

[​IMG]

We decided not to waste another cent and ran from there as fast as we could. We now remember why we had avoided it so long. Bad service and bad food. I was really ill later that day too. Never again!!

8. AlecK

Olivia's at OKW ( breakfast )

We set off from The Poly for a shopping day and managed to get all of 20 yards before the kids started whining in the back seat that we hadn't fed them. They're not quite understanding that we pay for club level so they can go and get breakfast anytime they like without paying. :rolleyes: I knew my shopping trip would be a nightmare if we didn't shut them up, so we diverted to the nearest resort with a restaurant which happened to be Olivia's at Old Key West Vacation Club Resort at WDW.

We were seated immediately and our server was straight over to offer us juice and coffee. I accepted both and the kids had chocolate milk. The breakfast menu is very good here and there were several things we all could've eaten but we eventually decided on:

Good Morning Donald for Miss Callie. She did well with this and it was just enough without overfacing her.

[​IMG]

Pancake and eggs for Lois. Waaay too much, but it was good. :eat:

[​IMG]

I chose the banana bread french toast. This was soooo good, but half would have been plenty! :hehe:

[​IMG]

Cuban breakfast for Al.

[​IMG]

Service was excellent and friendly throughout. The manager came around to see how things were going and he brought us more juice. We'll definitely be going back here in the future, maybe for dinner. A good experience overall! :thumbs:

The bill was $49 after discount and tip.

9. AlecK

TGI Friday's ( lunch ) 1

Our first of 2 visits to TGI Friday's for lunch. This one was on the 192. It was almost empty so service was very good and the food came out fast. :hehe:

Mozzarella sticks for the kids to share (for a change! :whistle: )
    [​IMG]

I had the shrimp with sweet potato fries. No complaints! :D

[​IMG]

Al had the half rack of Jack Daniels ribs & fries. He enjoyed it but needed a bath when he'd finished, never mind a 2 inch hand wipe. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Cheesburger for LK

[​IMG]

Kids burger for Cal. She won't eat a burger at home so it drives me nuts when we go somewhere with a good choice for kids and she chooses one. She never eats more than half. :sigh:

[​IMG]

We all left full as can be and had to go and do some more shopping to walk it off! :D

The bill was $65 with a 20% tip. :thumbs:

10. AlecK

Citrico's post 1

Next up was the one we were looking forward to most, Lois' birthday dinner at Citrico's! :D Several emails had gone back and forth beforehand and we were not disappointed. We had requested our favourite server (and friend!) Jaime and were shown to a window table in his section. Lois was presented with a personalised menu wishing her a happy birthday.

First up we ordered a bottle of champers and Shirley T's for the girls which were brought in champers glasses. :hehe:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We were then brought an amuse bouche:

Roquefort cheese and beetroot mousse

[​IMG]

It was really tasty, the kids said it was like eating purple Spongebob! :lol:

Bread to share. Yum as always! Don't ask me why someone took a photo of the butter. Maybe it was because it wasn't that vile whippy stuff. :lol:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To start, Al tried the quail tortellini

[​IMG]

Lois had the potato and leek soup. This was soooo good!

[​IMG]

I had the goat cheese truffle salad which was perfect. very tasty and a nice size portion.

[​IMG]

Cal had the cheese and grapes off the kids menu.

[​IMG]

We re-arranged the menu as usual and asked for kids filet with mickey pasta

[​IMG]

I had the pan seared halibut with red wine risotto, mushrooms and lemon thyme broth. OMG, I can't tell you enough how good this was! :eat:

[​IMG]

Al had the berkshire pork two ways - pork tenderloin and braised pork belly with herbed gnocchi, heirloom apples, swiss chard and madeira broth. Also disappeared completely so must have been good! :D

[​IMG]

Lois had the filet scilian ~ oak grilled filet of beef with sweet vidalia onions,peppadew and banana peppers, quattro formaggi crushed potatoes and veal demi glace

[​IMG]

11. AlecK

Citrico's post 2

We weren't shown a desert menu as the surprise cake was waiting in the back. It was brought out to put the candles on behind us and caused quite a stir. The table close to the counter all decided to get up and take photos and caused quite a commotion. So much so that everyone else wanted to know what they were looking at and Lois looked too. I had to tell her not to turn around! :rolleyes: Luckily there were so many people blocking her view she couldn't make out what it was, but knew it was a cake. It kinda spoiled the surprise.

Her favourite character is Donald. We asked for him in white choc and left it up to Pat at the Grand Floridian Resort and Spa at Walt Disney World bakery to design the rest. I feel the more creativity you give them, the better job they do. They have never let us down yet and didn't this time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It was vanilla cake with white choc filling. :eat: The cake was cut and brought out. Donald was boxed up separately to keep him in one piece.

[​IMG]

We had a wonderful evening. Service was top notch as always from J and the girls were sent home with a bag full of Mickey straws. :hehe: We were checking out of the Poly next day so the club level CM's enjoyed the cake.
    10 out of 10 for a perfect evening! How do we top it next year?! :lol:

12. AlecK

Big River Grille ( lunch )

Big River Grille was our next stop! We were told our room was almost ready at the BoardWalk Inn Resort at Walt Disney World Orlando so decided not to go too far. A short stroll on to the Boardwalk and we decided to try here. We were seated straight away. The place is pretty small inside but has plenty of outdoor seating. We went inside as the scaffolding was up over BoardWalk Villas Resort at Walt Disney World Orlando and there were decorators everywhere. :hehe:

The menu is quite good for lunch and the kids were happy at the choices too. Here's what we had:

Beer cheese soup. No idea how this compares to the Le Cellier soup 'cos that makes me puke so I didn't try this. :hehe: Al will have to fill you in!

[​IMG]

Blackened mahi mahi sandwich for me. Nicely cooked and pretty tasty. :thumbs:

[​IMG]

Honey dijon chicken sandwich

[​IMG]

Blue Ridge pulled pork

[​IMG]

Kids hotdog

[​IMG]

The 4 of us shared 2 deserts. Both were delicious!

Chocolate confusion

[​IMG]

New York cheesecake

[​IMG]

We enjoyed our lunch here. Service was very good, refills brought out regularly without having to ask and very friendly. We'll probably try it for dinner some time. :yes:

The bill was $62. No Tables in Wonderland discount here, but we got a 10% Disney Vacation Club discount. :)

13. AlecK

T-Rex ( lunch )

Next on the menu.....T-Rex! We got a walk in around 12.30 for lunch. It was still pretty quiet but this place is MASSIVE!! :eek: I can't imagine how many tables there are and how busy the kitchen must be. Despite the size, service was fast and very friendly. The food came quickly, but there was a dec ent gap between the starter and main. We were sat next to the big ice thing that changes colour and the cutest little dinosaur ever. :D

Our choices were:

Artifact Stack

[​IMG]

Melalosaurus Mozzarella - Seared Mozzarella with creamy marinara and mozzarella fingers.

[​IMG]

Boneyard Buffet - Fire-roasted Rotisserie Chicken and Mega Mes-O-Bones served with waffle fries and coleslaw

[​IMG]

Styracosaurus Sliders!

[​IMG]

Kids Slider (quelle surprise!( :rolleyes: )

[​IMG]

Tar Pit Fried Shrimp - Tender shrimp lightly fried golden brown, served with tartar and cocktail sauces, waffle fries and coleslaw. This was mine and really tasty. I'd definitely have it again.

[​IMG]

Lois couldn't eat all her sliders, in hindsight, we should've ordered that and given Cal one slider. The portions are pretty big. :hehe:
    I'm not a huge fan of Rainforest, so wasn't sure i'd like it here, but we all agreed we'd enjoyed it and it will be on our list of fave walk-ins. :thumbs: By the time we left it was pretty busy, so it must be doing well.

The bill was $95. We got a 10% AP discount.

14. AlecK

Flying Fish

[​IMG]

I started with an apple and cranberry cocktail. Very festive with a cinnamon stick in it. I can't remember what alcohol was in it, but it was very nice! :cheers:

[​IMG]

Bread & Butter

[​IMG]

I chose the crab cake and didn't regret it. :eat:

[​IMG]

Al had the shrimp cocktail

[​IMG]

followed by his favourite; the potato wrapped snapper

[​IMG]

I chose the Chef's thunder which changes daily. Today it was oak grilled fragrantly spiced Mahi Mahi

[​IMG]

We shared a side of aspargus

[​IMG]

Both kids had Mickey pasta

[​IMG]

Lois had the Chocolate fondue dessert. This had Happy birthday on it, I guess it had been noted somewhere that we were celebrating a few days earlier.

[​IMG]

I had the trio of desserts; Frangelico, caramel and chocolate delice,
    rich chocolate and raspberry torta andpetite white chocolate creme brulee

[​IMG]

Cal had the chocolate puzzle

[​IMG]

Al finished with the cheese selection

[​IMG]

Service was great as it always is here and it remains one of our favourites. We're going back in March. :eat: The bill with tip was $250 but $45 was on a bottle of wine. I can't resist a King Estate Pinot Gris when it's on the wine list!

15. AlecK

Sunshine Seasons QS breakfast

A quick counter service one! Breakfast at Sunshine Seasons in Epcot.

Lois and I both had the kids french toast and asked to switch the sausage for scrambled egg. We got both :hehe: $4.39 and includes a drink (we had milk and orange juice). The kids portion was plenty for me, i'm not a huge breakfast fan.

[​IMG]

Al had the breakfast sandwich which was an egg and pork focaccia & added breakfast potatoes $7.98

[​IMG]

Cal chose the chocolate muffin $2.59

[​IMG]

Regular orange juice was $2.39. It was all quite nice and it passed the time while we waited 40 minutes for our Soarin' FP's to be valid.

16. AlecK

Liberty Inn QS lunch

Liberty Inn ~ Epcot. Another short one for counter service. This was just where we happened to be when it was lunch time.

Pulled pork ~ $8.59

[​IMG]

Kids chicken nuggets ~ $4.99 (includes small drink)

[​IMG]

Hot roast beef sandwich ~ 8.39

[​IMG]

Chicken wrap ~ $8.19

[​IMG]

Everything was good and with a couple of cherry slushes and a bud light, the bill was $48.

17. AlecK

BlueZoo

This was one we were really looking forward to ~ Blue Zoo at The Dolphin. We've dined here a few times, but last time was Christmas 2008. One of the servers we've had a few times recognised us and came over to have a chat which was nice. It amazes me how they remember when so many people must pass thorugh. Guess our tips were ok! :wink:

So.....on to the food :eat:

I started with the delicious Zooberry cocktail that I had last time, it's so good!

[​IMG]

Our server brought out the bread

[​IMG]

For starter, I had the scallops with a braised beef short rib and cauliflower puree. I could have eaten this again as my main meal....*DELICIOUS!*

[​IMG]

Callie wanted some clam chowder, so we asked if they could do her a bowl, meaning a small one.....this is what she got. :lol: Dad had to help her! :wink:

[​IMG]

Al chose the jumbo shrimp with polenta and fennel butter.

[​IMG]

Lois went with the margherita flatbread

[​IMG]

For my main course, I decided to go with the cantonese lobster. I really fancied surf and turf, but the surf was crab and I fancied lobster, so chose this. It was very nice, but the sauce is strong and does overpower the lobster. For the price ($60) I probably wouldn't choose it again, but it was tasty!

[​IMG]

Callie had the kids filet

[​IMG]

Lois had the adult filet

[​IMG]

They have both asked if we're going back next trip, so they must have been happy! :D

Al chose the Berkshire pork which he said was very good

[​IMG]

Callie had the 2 scoop sorbet

[​IMG]

Lois the chocolate monster chose the Molten chocolate cake. We all had to try it :eat: and were not disappointed. It tasted as good as it looked!

[​IMG]

Blue Zoo is not cheap, but it's a fabulous experience, the restaurant is lovely. Staff are knowledgeable, friendly and attentive. Our bill for the 4 of us with a couple of bottles of Fiji (my fave!), Shirley's, 1 beer, a bottle of wine and a Remy was $340, but we had a lovely evening and it was worth every cent! We'll be back!! :D

18. AlecK

BJ's Brewhouse at the Loop ( lunch )

After a morning shopping at The Loop, we decided to try BJ's restaurant and Brewhouse.

We shared the chicken tenders

[​IMG]

Al chose the half a baked potato and soup combo ~ $6.95
    Broccoli & cheddar soup.

[​IMG]

half baked potato & chilli

[​IMG]

Lois had the pulled pork ~ $9.75

[​IMG]

Callie had the kids pizza ~ $4.95 (includes drink)

[​IMG]

I finally decided on the BBQ beef sandwich. It was so good! :eat: $9.25

[​IMG]

We all really enjoyed it here. The place was nice and clean and service was very good. The bill with drinks was only $46 and we all enjoyed it. If you like The Cheesecake Factory i'm sure you'll like it here, it's a similar menu. Definitely one to go on our 'must do' list when we're next at The Loop! :thumbs:

Link to their website.

19. AlecK

California Grill visit 1

Next up was our first visit this trip to The California Grill. We've noticed it going downhill our last few trips and we've put it down to the dining plan but decided we'd had more good meals than bad so booked it twice. This first visit was early in the evening to catch sunset. It was still pretty busy but we were shown to our table in about 10 minutes. Sad to say the bar/lounge area was FULL of diners again. It annoys me no end. :sigh: We were sat on the left side of the restaurant as you go in which is my favourite.

Our server came over within a few minutes and offered us water and took our drinks order.

I had a Cosmopolitan (quelle surprise :whistle: )

[​IMG]

then he brought us some bread

[​IMG]

The menu changes often and I can never decide what I want, the coices always appeal to me.

Alec chose the duck flatbread

[​IMG]

and I finally decided on the lobster risotto

[​IMG]

Lois asked for tomato soup and Cal helped her with it.

[​IMG]

Both girls had the adult beef filet and ate every single bit! If you asked them now which was their favourite dish at WDW, this would be it!

[​IMG]

I decided to go with the ostrich after trying it at Jiko several times and always enjoying it. This however was nothing like. It was tough as old boots despite it still being very pink and I really didn't enjoy it.

[​IMG]

Al had the crispy chicken. Can't remember what he thought of it? :unsure:

[​IMG]

Both kids had a chocolate mousse

[​IMG]

I tried the banana desert.....soooooooooo yummy! :eat:

[​IMG]

Al finished with the cheese platter

[​IMG]

With a bottle of Taittinger, glass of wine, 1 beer, couple of Shirley T's, the bill was $345 after our TIW discount/with tip. :hehe: Our server was excellent and very attentive and chatty.

20. AlecK

California Pizza Kitchen at Florida Mall

We took a break from shopping in the Fl. Mall to eat at California Pizza Kitchen. If you haven't been it's a chain like Pizza Hut, but much nicer. :hehe:

Bread

[​IMG]

Lois and Cal both had the kids honey chicken pizza. They both absolutely loved it. $5.49 with a drink.

[​IMG]

I had a margherita thin crust. It was really nice, thin and crispy just how I like them! $12.49

[​IMG]

Al had the BBQ chicken and bacon and didn't leave any crumbs! :D $14.99

[​IMG]

We always enjoy eating here and will probably go back next time we're in the mall. Service was fast and friendly and everything is super fresh. They have a really good menu of sandwiches/soups/salads too.
    California Pixzza Kitchen.