1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Universal Studios - How Busy?

Discussion in 'Beyond Disney' started by katie666, Feb 4, 2011.

1. katie666

katie666 New Member

Has anyone been since the Harry Potter section opened. I am wondering how busy the studios are now or whether the crowd numbers have settled again now. It wasn;t open last time we were there and I'd like to go but don't know whether to get a ticket for a few days or go for an AP again if we are going to be going quite a few days. We can only manage a few hours in a park in one go, so the crowds determine how much we get around :)

Katie :)

2. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

We were there at the end of October last year and made a point of arriving at 'arry potter land' (as we like to call it :D) at around 4pm. The wait time for Forbidden Journey always said 45 minutes but it was usually 30/35 mins. The line themeing is so good you really don't feel like you are waiting for a long time.
    Hogsmead itself was usually busy with Olivander's having HUGE lines outside!! I don't get it but then I've got a wand and mine lights up!!!:lol:
    The shop that Forbidden Journey empties into was always rammed with people!! I have no idea what they sell as I couldn't get to anything. :rolleyes:

3. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

We also went in October. Did both parks in 1 day :faint: Didn't find either too bad crowd wise, apart from Harry Potter bit which was heaving. But then there's not much space there anyway, so it probably always seems like that :hehe:
    Didn't note the exact wait time for Forbidden Journey but I think it was fairly long :unsure:
    As WQ said, Olivanders line was huge, I'm sure I heard someone say there was or had been a 3 hour wait. Really don't get why someone would wait so long :nono: Especially as they have the exact same wands for sale at the shop at MCO :shrug:

4. Jon

Jon Moderator

We spent half a day at each in October. Visited the studios in the morning and wait times weren’t too bad. Headed across to Islands mid afternoon-ish mostly for Seuss landing and to check out Potter-land. Its very impressive, but not exactly crowd friendly, and it was slow getting from one side to another. The new ride had about a 70min wait, as did the ‘what used to be called pterodactyl flyers’ ride (why has that always got a long wait?) We got on Spidey and I did Hulk without any wait, although this was near to park closing.

5. katie666

katie666 New Member

That's all very helpful - Thanks to all of you.

Katie :)

6. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

We expected mega waits even last August but it wasn't too bad. The shops were the worst!! We managed to get into the ones we wanted just before the park closed and found that most of them only had five minute waits by that point. I'm not a HP fan as I've never read the books or seen the films but I did find it very impressive and can't wait to go again.

7. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

Interested by these replies because I had been told that there was an 8 hour wait to get into the Harry Potter Land - (which gave me the impression you couldnt just walk through like you do in the other lands) - and so we'd sort of resigned ourselves to NOT visiting Harry Potter. :nonono:My daughter was a bit gutted cos mainly she'd like to go in the shops...

I'm just a bit confused how its laid out :unsure:

8. Jon

Jon Moderator

The 'Wizarding World' is a bit more compact than the other lands but you shouldn't have a problem walking through. The shops are supposedly really authentically themed, but can get pretty crowded as the design doesnt cope well with large volumes of traffic. I say supposedly as we never really ventured in any.

9. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

The shops are tiny inside, it's true. :( The window displays are really good and true to the films/books. Well worth a look. You can wander through Hogsmeade exactly the same as you can the other lands, it's just a bit smaller.

10. Kate

Kate New Member

The first time we visiting on our trip it was heeeeaving, had a job to see anything. The second time we visited it they had put in a one way system type thing (although it didnt stop people wandering up and down) and people were given tickets with a time on to come back - it made it bearable. Ive not watched many Harry Potter films so was none the wiser as to just how real it was but i did think it was great in there!

11. Minnietracey

Minnietracey New Member

We went in Early Nov last year and got to UIA at opening, we were one of the first into the park from standard admitance not hotel VIP. We walked steadily straight to potterland and rode the main attraction with a 10 mni wait it was good, the girls rode it twice due to rider swap, we exited the ride and the wait was 40 mins and the village was packed. Flight of the hoppogroff was posted as 10 mins wait but it was actually 40 mins, we found the front of line passes have a huge influence on wait times on the small capacity rides. Dueling dragons or whatever they call it now was a 10 min wait at about 10.30 when we left the land.

That day our longest wait was 45 mins for the log flume type ride. I did all the suess area with waits between 5 and 25 mins around 11am.
    The popeye raft ride was walk on at 1pm so we went around x2.

Universal studios was quiet in the pm. We waited 15 mins for RRRockit, very cool ride. I think the longest wait we had there was 20 mins for et.

12. Whitequeen

Whitequeen New Member

RipRide drives me nutty!!! It just doesn't 'do' mornings!! :rolleyes:
    Every time we are here it's rarely going first thing in the morning. I love the ride but she's mighty temperamental!!:lol: