1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Visiting Indianapolis - advice needed!

Discussion in 'Beyond Disney' started by andrew1968, Nov 5, 2011.

1. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

Hi everyone,

Hopefully I've posted this in the right forum, but if not, if it could be moved, it would be very much appreciated :thumbs:

My brother and his wife have been lucky enough to win a trip to the Superbowl in Indianapolis in February next year.

We want to get them something for christmas that is something to do with Indianapolis, but we're not really sure what would be suitable, as we don't know much about it!

We're going to get the a "dummies guide" to American Football, and also a guide book to Indianapolis, but I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas of things we could get them that are connected with Indianapolis, or things to do in Indianapolis?

I'm hoping someone on the forums might have visited before!

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in Advance.

Andrew

2. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

The most famous Auto Race on earth takes place in Indianapolis every May, the Indianapolis 500. My DW is sleeping but she is from Indiana and used to live in Indianapolis so maybe I can get some hints from here later. How wonderful for your brother and his wife.

3. AlecK

AlecK A Pirate's Life For Me

What a great prize !!

4. SportsMickey

SportsMickey A walking SportsCenter

The way the season is going now - Green Bay Packers gear since they'll probably be playing in the big game :lol:

5. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

Yes, that would be great if you could - we've got no idea really, as you've mentioned, we've heard of the Indianapolis 500, but that's about it!

They have no idea about the rules of American Football, so as I mentioned, we're getting a book on American football, so they can study up before they go.

It is a great price, I'm a bit jealous, not least because they've got business class flights, and I've never flown anywhere business class.

Yes, it is, he's very lucky with his prizes, I did win a prize myself yesterday though, I won a bottle of car shampoo, which is nearly as good :wink:

We'll see if we can get something for the Green Bay Packers for their stocking! Who do you think they might be playing? We're completely clueless when it comes to American Football.

Anyhow, thanks everyone for the replies, much appreciated :clap:

6. SportsMickey

The AFC is much more of a toss up, there hasn't been a dominate team thus far. Keep in mind however, that's only a prediction, there's a lot of football left to be played, we just crossed the midway point of the season

7. Indydisneyfan

Indydisneyfan New Member

I lived there for 23 years and visit every couple of months. Colt's are obviously huge, the Indy 500, the Indiana Pacers, the NCAA headquarters is there as well. If they can afford it, tell them to get there days early. The events leading up to the Super Bowl is unbelievable. It is just like every other big city, same things to do just many more places to do it.

8. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

OK, thanks, we probably will get them something related to the Green Bay Packers though, it's as good a team to buy something for as any other, seeing as we haven't a clue about any of the teams!

Thanks very much for that, I only think they're there for 4 days or so, I think they arrive on the Friday before the Superbowl, and leave after the Tuesday after, so I don't know what they'll be able to squeeze in to their visit!

Is there anything in particular you would recommend they try and do while they're there? It doesn't have to be sport related, as I think they're looking forward to the whole experience as much, or even more than, the game itself.

9. SportsMickey

Be sure to do the NFL experience - it's cool

10. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

What a fantastic prize! I'd imagine that the entire city will be abuzz with Super Bowl fever. That will bring out lots of street vendors. I'd imagine that tailgaiting prior to the game will be so much fun!

11. SportsMickey

I know that super bowls in the past had tailgating banned and the only way to get near the stadium is with a ticket.

Be prepared for crazy prices. The ProBowl here a couple years ago had concession prices 1/3-1/2 higher than a regular game at the same stadium

12. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

The Indianapolis Children's Museum is great to visit, even for adults. Also the zoo, but I fear that February will be far too cold in Indianapolis to visit the zoo, if it is even open. Make sure they take plenty of WARM clothing. Although the stadium is an indoor stadium it can be VERY FRIGID in Indy at that time. Alas the Colts will not be playing in the Superbowl in their own stadium since they fell to 0-8 yesterday.

13. Indydisneyfan

Indydisneyfan New Member

I second the Children's Museum. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a museum as well if you like any type of racing. Maybe a 20-30 minute drive depending on traffic. It will be cold as stated above. If the high hits 30, that is warm in February. Better prepare for teens and 20's. Circle Center Mall is pretty cool too. It is right next to the stadium.

If you like steak, you have to eat at St. Elmo's. It has been voted as one of the top 10 steak houses in the US. Prepare to drop some money though.

14. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

I'll mention that to them, thanks.

Yep, I'm sure it'll be an experience for them, I don't think it's something they would have even thought about doing if they haven't won the prize, so I think it'll be a once in a lifetime type of thing.

Luckily, they've got tickets included in their prize, so that's one thing they won't have to worry about!

I think the Children's museum will be somewhere they will want to visit, I think they would probably be interested in the Motor museum too.

I think they realize it's going to be cold, so I'm sure they will go prepared!

They won't be driving while they're there, they'll be relying on Taxis to get around. I think their transfers to the Superbowl itself are already arranged, but they'll have to sort everything else out themselves.

I think my sister in law likes steak, but I don't think my brother is a fan, but I will mention St. Elmo's to them.

15. Indydisneyfan

Indydisneyfan New Member

They serve more than just steak, but that is what they are known for. Everything is good. They will need to make reservations. If they can't get in, there are other nice restaurants within walking distance from just about any hotel in the downtown area.

16. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

They're definitely looking for places to eat while they're there, so I will tell them about it. I don't exactly know where there hotel is, but I assume it's in the downtown area, so hopefully not far from that restaurant.

Thanks very much.

17. USCWest

USCWest Moderator

We were going to take our Granddaughter to St. Elmo's when she graduated high school this last summer. However, after realizing that their only appetizer is shrimp cocktail we opted for Mo's. It is also quite pricey. And, as Indy say steak isn't the only thing on the menu at either, so there should be plenty of choice.

My wife says the Indianapolis Museum of Art is worth a visit.

If you know which hotel they will be in we can find out how far it is from the restaurants.

18. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

I just realized that MADONNA is the 1/2 time show. Now I am compltely jealous of your friends (and everyone else who goes to the Super Bowl this year)!!!!

19. andrew1968

andrew1968 New Member

That would be great - the hotel they're staying at is the Ramada East Indianapolis, I believe it isn't the most luxurious of places, but it was the only hotel that the competition organisers could book!

That should be good as well, I don't want to make you any more jealous, so I won't mention the VIP seats they've got :D

The family will definitely expect good presents brought home for them though :)

20. ThinkTink

ThinkTink Moderator

Well THANK YOU for not doing that, :rotfl:. Don't know what I'd do if I knew they had VIP seats :faint:.