1. Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why do we keep going back?

Discussion in 'Walt Disney World Trip Planning' started by tweenie123, Jan 20, 2012.

1. tweenie123

tweenie123 Moderator

We were talking about our summer holidays at lunchtime today and the conversation turned to where we would all be going this year. Of course everyone looked at me and said something on the lines of 'well at least we know where you'll be going' A couple of people (who obviously don't realise my great love for WDW!) then asked me why I keep going back to the same place year after year when I could visit so many other places.

I just love it for lots of different reasons but wondered why we all keep returning when there are so many other places that we could visit in this big wide world.

2. Tishypops

Tishypops New Member

Because there is so much to do there, it is impossible to do everything and every time you go back there is something new.
    I dont know how people do europe every year, if you have been to one Baleric island you have been to them all, same with Greece it is the same excursions same shows in every hotel I get bored!!!

3. Tishypops

Tishypops New Member

And of course because it is the greatest place on earth so why waste your time and money
    I must say though that I generally do somewhere too :blush: but that is because of my work concessions

4. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

For us it is the fact that there is so much to be done there that everyone can be happy. My family ranges from 16 to 76 between DD DS DS DW DH and DM. Add into the equation my DS Autism and it makes finding somepalce that appeals to everyone harder to do. I could take the family to the Grand Canyon...and Stephen could look at the rear end of a donkey, and my mom could be towed back up the trail in her scooter when the batteries give out. I could take a trip to Sesame Place and my Autistic DS would be happy to meet Elmo and Cookie and the rest, and my other DS and DD would be ready to rip the fur off all the characters and do mean and nasty things in general. I could take and book a vacation to travel the world to make the DW happy...but I don't think it owuld be quite the holiday that she has imagined (with kids my mom ect). This way we can all enjoy the type of vacation we want and still have family time to boot.

5. Bec

Bec Moderator

I just feel so at home there. Not just at Disney but the whole area.

I do love going other places, but wouldn't feel right not visiting at least once a year!

6. MKJo

MKJo Moderator

There's so much to do, the atmosphere is great, it's like stepping into a fairytale where you forget the outside world and can just have fun and be a kid again :micbounce:

7. Damfino

Damfino Obsession, by Walt Disney

It's my happy place. It has everything I want and need to do to recharge my batteries. Everyone who knows my home situation understands my need to have something to look forward to and even if they think I'm mad returning there so often they don't let on. I would love to visit other places, New York, Toronto, LA, SF and Las Vegas in particular, but, as a solo traveller I have to consider the safety factor, but, I will get to those places in the meantime I will go back to the magic and have an absolutely fab time.

8. lizzx10r

lizzx10r New Member

Well because its the happiest place on world - its the only place where I relax - forget any worries.

9. Pinoke76

Pinoke76 New Member

Having been 8 times over 17 years, I did start to question why we were going so often.
    My first trip in 1993 was beyond my wildest dreams, so much so that I scrimped and saved for 4 years to be able to go again.
    That trip was equally magical.
    I then went again only 2 years later, it was awesome but somehow not so special.
    Life happened, and I didn't get to go for another 4 years - so I was again over-excited to be going.
    Then we went the following year and some of the magic simply wasn't there for me.
    We then agreed to go every other year, and although 2006, 2008 and 2011 were very good, I did start to dream about other places I could visit.
    I love Orlando, but for once I could understand what people were saying to me.
    I went to California for a road trip, Norway for a cruise, Bavaria to take photos of Brown Bears and Wolves, golf breaks in Portugal and Spain and have booked Alaska for this year. I have to admit I was/am more excited by those currently than I have been about an Orlando trip for a few years.
    I am sure by the time 2013 comes around I will be desperate to return to Orlando and will go again, but for now I am loving the variety of travel.

One of my favourite quotes - "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page"
    Orlando is (probably) the best page in the whole book, but I do want to read a few other pages too :)

10. greatdanedaddy

greatdanedaddy New Member

I often get the same comment at work and even with some of the family. However, we make this choice because WDW is a place we can go to forget the outside world if we choose. It is such a well maintained athmosphere. The castmembers always treat you so nice. It is different everytime we go. I always believe that people should vacation where they want to, not where some else thinks they should. We have so many wonderful family memories.

John

11. Damfino

For some reason, despite only having been in October, I am unbelievably excited about going back next month, more than any other trip. November 2009 was a trip where I felt I'd had enough for a while as I was extremely unwell with a stinking cold and ear infection for a week in the middle of the holiday, but once I was over it I was raring to go again and went back in September 2010. Sure, I keep returning to WDW, but, there are people out there who hate anything outside their own town (my sister being one, she was a right miserable so and so when we went to DLRP) and although this is my own personal view, I couldn't be like that. If DH were still here, we'd have been off all around the world and if I do meet another man I would like to think he'd be a travelller too, especially a Disney fan to boot

12. carlene

carlene New Member

Disney is the perfect place for us, there is something there for everyone to enjoy, we have been have been 3 times in 5 years and each time we have been just as excited as the first time, and every time we have found something new to do, what other holiday destination can offer you such variety.

We wont be returning to WDW until 2016, but it will be worth the wait and we will be ready to rediscover it all over again.

Maybe when the children have left home DH and i may visit other destinations or maybe it will be time to introduce our future grandchildren to WDW :wink:

carlene

13. DizReg

DizReg New Member

Where else can you travel the world in just a few hours?!? :hehe: In just an amount of feet (or yards) you can travel from France to Morocco and then to Japan! If you were to do that in "real life" you'd have to take several planes and suffer jet lag and just be miserable!

14. Debbie

Debbie New Member

Our reason for returning as often as we can afford to is our DS. He absolutely loves it and to see him so happy there makes us happy too. As most of you know he is disabled with complex needs. Disney is his world. He watches YouTube most days of all his favourite rides and shows. We never got there last year as DD started Uni which was expensive time but our new years resolution was that DS deserved to go this year.... even if it bankrupts us. Life is too short

15. LorraineD

LorraineD New Member

I don't get people asking me why, I get (rather annoyingly), "friends" who when in a group discussing holidays, get quite vocal on how they wouldn't like to go to Orlando/WDW if someone gave them a free holiday, and how they don't know how you can go to the same place over and over again. One friend, her daughter has said she would desperately LOVE to go to WDW, but her mum (my friend) tells me that her kids wouldn't enjoy it, they much prefer to go to Spain.

We even go to the same hotel everytime we visit and we absolutely love it. The thing is, when our kids were younger we did the package holiday to Spain/Cyprus/Lanzarote etc. and basically for 2 weeks I lay around the pool reading a stack of books and the kids entertained themselves in the pool. We got changed for the evening, walked around the same restaurants/bars/shops every night and back to the hotel to watch in "inhouse entertainment". Odd bits of sightseeing but generally a beach/pool holiday.
    Now, I find we spend quality time together. My hubby discovered his rollercoaster legs and him and the kids absolutely love going on all the rides. There is REAL shops to look around (not just the tacky gift shops that stock exactly the same things - snowglobes/ashtrays etc). Choice of restaurants, so many things to do and see, something for everyone, PLUS we have the weather to enable pool days or waterpark days so I get a little bit of a sun holiday too.
    By far the best place on Earth for me and I couldn't imagine going anywhere else.:clap:

16. Disney Dad

Disney Dad Disney Enthusiast

The biggest annoyance of all of them making degrading comments is that they have never tried it. If they had gone to WDW and didn't like it then why?? but to say anything without having ever experienced it is not just ignorant its rude.

17. Alanandali

Alanandali New Member

I get the same thing too at work too and is hard to explain why we always return, especially with no kids! I agree with Bec about feeling "at home". I don't really get excited about going to WDW like I do when we go somewhere new - it's just like going to a second home. There is so much to do - loads that we've done before and love plus always something new. Our trips have changed from soley parks in the early days to lots of golf now, plus dipping in and out of parks, plus visiting resorts to enjoy the different atmospheres etc.

Do love visiting other places too - our autumn holiday is usually elsewhere.
    Ali

18. angelmommy

angelmommy New Member

When we tell people we are going back we often get "Disney again??" Our answer is always "There is so much to see & do. No trip is ever exactly a like."

19. **susie**

**susie** New Member

People can never quite understand why I love to go to Disney. The only people that tend to understand are ones who have experienced it.

I go with my partners family (Mum, Dad, Sister, BIL and their children) and there is nowhere in the world that compares to the feeling that Disney gives you. We've gone on large family holidays to Europe and they just don't compare. We are all so happy when we are in Disney and we all forget the trials and tribulations of 'reality' back home. I am constantly smiling when Im there and it seems to be the only place where I can go and recharge my batteries and get a zest for life again, even when Im worn out from a day in the parks!

Its genuinely my happiest place on Earth and I cannot thank my partner enough for introducing me to it 9 years ago!

20. Damfino

Also, for me personally, there is nothing to do here in my hometown and people think I'm joking when I say there is nothing to spend my money on, but, it's the truth! I have two weeks of being able to eat out everynight if I wish, or just going out for an evening stroll, great shops both on site and elsewhere, a decent cinema to see the latest movies, all there is to do here are not very good pubs, none of which do decent food and besides I really dn't feel comfortable going into a pub on my own, last time I went out in town was November 2010 to a local Wetherspoons and I went up to the bar and had a drunken 20 something trying to chat me up, pathetic. Nope, I'll save my dosh and head of to WDW for two weeks of living.