Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The one with our 5th anniversary (old trippie - 2006)

Couldn't resist posting this old one from 2006......totally selfish so I can re-read it, but do have a look if you fancy it
      It would seem the old smilies and photos don't work, so if there's a little gap, that's what it is
      Last edited by Vikki; 04-28-2011 at 02:54 PM.

The one with the pre-trippie

The cast:

Vikki: that would be me then – big shock! Anyway, I’m 26 and this is my 3rd visit to WDW.

Anthony: also known as Eeyorewells and my lovely DH, he’s 27. Surprisingly, also his third visit

Now, usually it would just be the two of us, but there is another important addition to this report, who may feature quite a bit.

Pluto: age two. He’s my class mascot. He goes everywhere with my class, seriously. They take him home every night and write a diary about him. He has been all over the world on holidays with them. Last year some of you very kindly sent postcard ‘from Pluto’ from your respective places around the world for a school project I was doing. I think the kids in my class were more upset to leave Pluto than me to go into their next class. I have also just realised how much more writing I have done about him than us…..

Ok, so I can’t honestly say much in this pre-trippie without making you all yawn a great deal, but here’s some of it.

When we went to WDW five years ago on honeymoon we promised ourselves we would return for our fifth anniversary, and we would do it big style, so we have.

We have booked to go PE with Virgin, both ways . I’m not a fan of flying, as far as I’m concerned, it’s a big tin can with wings, but I guess it’s a means to an end.

We had planned to stay for three weeks at All Star Sports, so that’s what we booked. With the dining plan. Then the free dining came up! So we changed our ASSp ressie to just 8 nights, with paying for the dining plan. We were then going to carry on there on the free dining plan. Then we realised we could stay at a moderate with the money we would save, so that’s what we did. We are now staying 13 nights at Port Orleans Riverside.

We are also, after much deliberation decided to stay at Wilderness Lodge for our anniversary, we’ve never stayed in such a nice hotel before so we’re really looking forward to it. We are having our anniversary meal at Artists Point that night, which we’re really looking forward to .

The night before our anniversary we’re doing a Wishes cruise with Trish which we’re also really looking forward to, and Anthony is taking me to see Cirque as an anniversary present. He had to tell me about it though as we were close to planning something for every other night.

Anyway, I left the packing till today, which is pretty late for me. It’s all fitted in, alongside the extra empty holdall for bringing shopping home in! The rabbits have been all packed away, I shan’t go into that story again, if you want to know about it, see this thread.

So tomorrow we will attempt online check-in and then my parents will be picking us up to take us to the airport.

I can’t quite believe I’m writing this today, it seems like my timer has been going on forever…….and now it’s actually time to go.

Part one: The one with all the flying

5th August:
      We woke up at about 7am ish this morning . This is practically a miracle. Last time we came, neither of us could sleep so Anthony was up at 2am having a bath. I was half expecting this to happen again. However, since my parents had stayed at the hotel with us, we had a really nice dinner the night before……with quite a bit of wine , I think perhaps that helped us to sleep.

So we were away to the airport at about 7.45am. Since we had checked in online, and were going PE we had quite a choice of desks to choose from. We got sorted pretty quick, and I think the lady knew we had been before as she said “you know about these?” when she gave us the visa and customs forms. There was a half hour delay on the flight, but we weren’t too bothered.

We went up to the Escape lounge and it was pretty busy . We found a seat with no problems although a few larger families had to move some chairs around when they came in. Anthony enjoyed the pastries and I actually ate something, which is not like me (I do not fly so well). I had a bowl of Special K and a cuppa. Pluto rather enjoyed relaxing in there too.

It got to about 10am and we decided to go to the gate. We got one of the few seats available. There were people queuing already to get onboard. This always makes me laugh as it’s not as if the plane is going to leave them. There was this family sat next to us, whose kids were obviously really excited. A little too much for mum, who was threatening it wasn’t too late to take them back home…..as if! I texted Trish a couple of times to make me take my mind of the big tin can

They then announced boarding, and even though they said to stay seated, a ton of people got up and rushed to the queue . It was upper class and premium economy boarding first. So up we got, I would have rather stayed off the plane to watch the massive run for the queue when economy was announced (anything to stay off the big tin can), but we didn’t.

So up the stairs we went into PE, and I was incredibly impressed . I expected it to be good, but this was much better than I expected. Upstairs was really wonderful, hardly any people at all. We had our pre-flight bubbly and stored all our things. I really like the compartments next to the seats, very handy as it meant we didn’t have to keep getting up every time we needed something out of the bag.

I’m pleased to say the flight was uneventful. The last time we came here was the worst flight we have ever had, if you read my last trip report (link in signature) you would know. This was the smoothest flight I’d ever had, we even managed to catch up the time. I really do mean it was smooth, I feel every single bump on flights, and this one was wonderful, the seatbet sign never came on once during the flight, which I've never had happen. I watched some TV, played a few games, had the necessary chicken and penne pasta and sarnie just before landing.

The pilot had made up the time we lost in Manchester and we arrived dead on time. I must also say how wonderful the cabin crew were, they were two very nice men, one of which sang and he walked up and down the aisle (which was a lot wider than in economy, and meant you could actually walk past the trolley). We collected our bags – weren’t sure which one to get them from, as neither said PE. So we chanced it and went to the UC one, where we picked up our bags very quickly.

The nice man from Quicksilver was waiting for us at second baggage claim. In fact, we were so early he was still on the sofa and jumped up very quickly when we said we were the Wells party. He looked a bit embarrassed to have still been sitting down, which was quite funny .

So we picked up our bags from the second baggage claim and we were on our way by 3.15pm, which was amazing! We Are usually out no earlier than 4.30pm, and it’s usually pouring with rain. Not this time, a sign of things to come!

We were on our way to Disney…………………………..!

Part two: The one with the surprise

5th August, still:

The nice man from Quicksilver (never did catch his name) took us to a grocery store to stock up on a few essentials. Well, crisps, cereal, cookies and Budweiser . After that we were off to the World. Anthony got all happy and smiley when we went under the big Walt Disney World sign as he always does, very sweet

We arrived at All Star Sports and got checked in quickly. They had noticed my request for an upper floor so we were on floor three of the Touchdown building, which was perfect, a really short walk from the main building. It was also a king room, I didn’t realise quite how huge king beds in America are, I think I may get lost in it! We also had a fridge which came in handy for the Budweiser….although the fridge didn’t seem to be that cold, not to worry.

We went out right away to Magic Kingdom. We were a bit thirsty by this point so we went to one of the snack carts and got a bottle of water with our Dining Plan snack credit……first dining plan purchace successful!

We went and got a FP for Buzz and then I said I would like to go on the Transit Authority, which I love, whilst we were waiting. Anthony suggested having a go on the Astro Orbitor. Good idea, it was one of the things we’d never been on before, so we thought it would be good that the first ride we would go on would be one we’d never done before.

We got right to the front, and were in the little area where you wait to go to the lift…..then everything stopped. There was lightening so they had to close the ride down. I felt really sorry for the CM (James, from England) as he had to tell everyone. He told us that since we were about to go on, a lady would be coming with a voucher that would get us through the FP line of any ride, fantastic! She then arrived and told us that James was wrong to say this, as that wasn’t what happened. Poor James felt awful, it was the first time he’d been in charge of that ride and it was all going wrong for him. However, we did get a FP for Space Mountain.

Now, those of you who know me, know I am a wimp and have never been on Space Mountain. In fact, when we went in 2004, there was a whole thread convincing me to go on it…..and I chickened out. Well, this time, I had no choice, well, I did, but I thought ‘it’s now or never’. So I told Anthony we had to go it right now otherwise I’d chicken out.

I was pretty nervous walking down the FP line, got on the car, and we were off. I loved it! It was a fantastic ride! I’m pleased I didn’t have time to think about going on it, because if I had, I would have wimped out again probably. I will be going on that again! This was the surprise I was saying about in my live trip report

Next we were off to our FP for Buzz. I love this ride, but Anthony always gets a massive score, whereas I’m not so good.

We were getting a bit peckish by this point, so remembering advice from the boards we went to the Tomorrowland Noodle Station. We both had Terriaki chicken and rice with ice cream for dessert. The meal was lovely, the only problem I had was the ice cream had get pretty melted by the time we got to it. Note to self: do not get ice cream on the dining plan at counter service!

Next we were off to the Transit Authority, where James was in charge. He assured us this rarely broke down so we were ok. Again, I love this ride, so relaxing. As we came into the Space Mountain bit, tiredness hit me….I could quite happily have dropped off. It had been a pretty long day and was about midnight UK time. However, I really wanted to do Pirates before we left for the night.

We went round to Pirates and got on with a 10 minute wait, not bad. I thought it was brilliant. There were some annoying teenagers behind us who were shouting throughout the whole thing. I thought the new Jack Sparrow bits were incredible. I honestly thought it was Mr Depp! They got his mannerisms perfectly. I was also impressed by the Barbosa bit at the beginning, very clever. The only thing I missed was the ‘dead men tell no tales’ parrot. However, I did spot him later on in the holiday!

After this, I was flagging a bit. Anthony had saved up some birthday money for a Pal Mickey so we went and got that, and also a bum bag for the camcorder to go in. Then we went back to the hotel, unpacked and went to bed. We managed to stay awake till about 10pm which wasn’t too bad…..

Part three: The one with the immersion into Disney
      6th August

I woke up at about 3am this morning, which would be 8am in the UK, so my usual holiday wake up time. I managed to get back to sleep and woke up again at about 8am ish. We were due at Chef Mickey’s at 11am so we decided to relax in the room for a bit before heading off.

We went down to the food court for a drink . Anthony had a coffee and I tried the tea, I remembered last time we were here I hated the tea as they didn’t have proper milk, but I quite like it this time . After that we got on the bus to the Magic Kingdom, then transferred over to the resort monorail to go to the Contemporary. It felt very odd going to MK and not staying, must admit....

We arrived pretty early so got the usual pager and wandered around the resort a bit. I had a play with my new camcorder and got some nice shots of the resort. Then our pager went off and we went to the podium.

Breakfast was lovely . I found the whole set up quite different from dinner though. At dinner we were sat with other families who had just arrived and the characters worked their way around the tables so nobody was missed out. Breakfast was quite different, characters just sort of wandered around and if you got up that was fine, but if you didn’t they left you alone. I felt totally back at Disney by this point though, we’d booked a character breakfast today on purpose just for that reason. Looking back, if we'd had kids, I would have been a bit disappointed. We were there for an hour, and only had two characters come anywhere near us.....not to worry, we had loads of other character meals booked

After breakfast we headed for EPCOT. It is one of my favourite parks. We went to Test Track first. Again, if you read my previous report you’ll know it took Anthony ages to convince me to go on this, but now I love it! Even at midday the FP return time was between 3-4pm, so we got a ‘bonus’ one for Mission Space. Now that is a ride I just won’t do, so since the time was there and then, Anthony went on it whilst I had a wander around Mousegear.

Anthony enjoyed Mission Space as ever. Following this we went to Innoventions (which I always thought was called Innovations). We went to ‘plastic fantastic’ which was quite good fun, and we even got to keep the little robot we made at the end, very sweet. Anthony says the style of it reminds him of a cartoon character, but can’t think which one.

We had a good wander round Innoventions and had the obligatory ‘send the postcard home via e-mail’ thing done. After this our FP time was approaching so we went to Ellen’s Energy Adventure to kill a bit of time. I can see why people find this a bit dull, but I really like it - even the pre-show is good. Nice and simple and it always makes me giggle. Not sure I’d do it more than once in a holiday though. We got chatting to a family who was asking us about Pal Mickey and if it was any good. We said it was good so far, but we’d only bought it the previous night so weren’t too sure yet. Their poor kids were complaining about being too hot and having headaches though. I can’t say I’m surprised. They were fair skinned with no sunglasses or hats – oddly the parents had them though….

By the time this had finished our FP time came around for Test Track. I loved this ride! We were in the front seat. I had forgotten quite how fast it was though! It was going so fast my headband nearly came off!

We decided to go back to the hotel after this for a swim . The pool was soooo warm, it was lovely. There was this really annoying group of teenage lads who were trying to dunk each other and causing chaos for everyone else. We stopped moving out of their way eventually and gave them dirty looks instead…..they soon moved away. The lifeguards kept watching them but I’m surprised they didn’t blow their whistles at them I forgot how relaxing it is to go back to the hotel and use the pool during the day, heavenly

After that, back to the room for a shower before off to the Magic Kingdom tonight for our first ever evening extra magic hours.

Part four: The one with our first Extra Magic Hours
      August 6th, still

I was really looking forward to tonight. We had never done evening Extra Magic Hour before and I was pleased our first one would be at MK I think Disney planned it for our first proper night . The bus got us there pretty quickly and then we went to wait in line for our writstbands.

Spectromagic was just about to start so we decided to cut through the shops and headed back towards Space Mountain – now I had given it a go, I wanted to ride again! Unfortunately the wait time was about 40 minutes and there were no FPs, so we decided to give the Astro Orbitor a go instead. We got on pretty quickly. Anthony went in a car on his own as it was incredibly uncomfortable with both of us in one. How they are supposed to fit two people in, I'll never know - and neither of us are that large I enjoyed this ride, basically for the view. The actual ride itself I can’t say I found that interesting. Can’t see us rushing to go on it again, but I’m pleased we did it.

After another ride on the Transit Authority and a quick spin (well, a slow one really) on Carrosel of Progress, we went to Cosmic Rays to get some tea. It was 10.30pm by now and we were both amazed with how many young children were here, I don’t mean 7 year old young, I mean 2 and 3. Some of them were so tired I felt really sorry for them. You could tell the ones who had obviously gone back to resort for a nap in the afternoon though, they were happy and jumping around like everyone else.

Next we went over to ride Pooh and went on with a family who insisted on taking flash photography of every single part of the ride, very annoying, but the little kid was cute and was really getting into the theming of the ride…..and that was just Anthony, only kidding! I think I might get a for that comment

I then dragged Anthony over to IASM, he was not amuzed! We both commented on how much better it looked since it’s refub though, very clean and the dolls don’t look as creaky as they used to. The Hawaiian ones still gave me the creeps though.

Next was Philarmagic. We both really enjoy this one. I am not a fan of 3-D rides as I can’t stand things shooting out towards me. This one is fine though, and complements the attraction really well, rather than trying to scare you. Later on in the trip, we did a tour that took us through here and told us where a ton of hidden Mickeys are (we're not Hidden Mickey finders really - but the ones in this attraction are interesting).

After another go on Pirates (this is such a good ride to go on any time of the day as it never seems to be busy – surprising since it has just been redone) and we were getting pretty tired, so we went back to ASSp. We were fast asleep by about 1.30am after watching a bit of ESPN with very crazy people doing scary thing on skateboards!

Next time: The one with the bad drawings

Part five: The one with the bad drawing
      August 7th

This morning we were intending on having a lie in since we’d been out pretty late the night before, but you know how that never actually happens when you want it to? Well, that was this morning! We were both wide awake at about 7.30am so we decided to go get some milk for our cereal then we came back to the room and watched The Truman Show on the laptop. We had already decided we were going to go to Disney Quest today so we didn’t see much point in being up and about too early. We had made that mistake before. When we were here in 2002 we got to DQ nice and early, about 9.30am.......only to discover it didn't open till 11am

We headed off at about 10am and went for a wander around Downtown Disney first…..well, it would be rude not to go in the shops don’t you think? I bought a book about Imagineering at EPCOT and we also got some jelly beans which were very nice.

After a bit of wandering around we decided to go for some lunch before going to DQ. It was about midday and we went to the Earl Of Sandwich, it was already really busy so I found a table whilst Anthony sorted out the food. He had a meatball sandwich thing and mine had chicken and spinach. Both were absolutely gorgeous. We decided that next time we’d order and swap halves so we’d both get to try some others, as they all looked really gorgeous It was at this point we started discussing the dining plan. We have already made good use of it, and it is just so easy. It’s great to wander around and only have to have our room keys with us. Like last night for example when we went to MK, we literally had or lanyards and room keys, that was it. We have paid for this first 8 days on the DP and the next 2 weeks are on the free dining plan, which makes it even better! We initially thought that we would forget to use the snacks, but we’ve been using them for water in the parks, so we don’t have to carry our cooler around, much more convenient.

We went over to Cirque next to collect our tickets for the 22nd (I think), this was an anniversary present from Anthony and I am really looking forward to it.

Next we went to DQ and arrived just in time for the art class. We were drawing Donald. The girl doing it said he is the hardest to draw, I’m not sure if that is the case, or she just said it to make us feel better. We both had a good go though and tried our best….. However, we were both pretty useless, which hardly surprised me

We did quite a few bits and pieces in here and I went online briefly upstairs to post a thread saying hi to you all, never done any live reporting before! There’s not much more to say about DQ apart from this really rude boy. There was a row of 4 race car things and there was us and 2 other young lads standing behind them to wait for the next race. Well, the race finished and all the seated people left. The lad in the car Anthony was about to go in got up and said “Don’t go in there, I’m going again”, so Anthony said something along the lines of “not if you're leaving” and got in the car as he left. So this young lad pushed past one of the others who was waiting with us so he could go again. This poor lad looked really upset so Anthony gave his seat up so this young lad could have a go. I found that really rude.

One other thing. We had both noticed how many English CMs there seem to be on this visit. Anthony discovered that there’s this scheme where English people can work in the US and the company only have to pay then $1 an hour, then the government makes up the rest of the wage. The same thing happens in reverse in the UK. So that’s why there are so many Brits at WDW at the moment

After a few more games we left and had a wander round Virgin Megastore. I got a couple of games for my Nintendo DS and then we went back to the resort for a little rest before going out tonight for Fantasmic.

Ok, a little from me. Anthony was asking me the other day where parts 6 and 7 of my reports were, so I told him I'm sure they were there somewhere.....it appears they're not. As I was writing these reports on Word, it would appear I went from report 5 to report 8, hum, not clever, must have had one too many Budwiesers whn I did that!

So I'm posting this to anyone else who was wondering where they were.....they don't actually exist

Part 8: The one with Fantasmic
      August 7th, still

We were really looking forward to tonight (I have said that so many times already and we’re only on full day two! ). We had the Fantasmic Dinner package booked at H&V. When we arrived at MGM the parade was about to start, I have no idea why it was on this late though (it was about 5.30pm), I always thought it was on earlier than this. I then found out this is the regular time for this parade

We watched the parade and I took loads of photos. We’ve never seen this one all the way through before, and although neither of us are big parade fans I quite enjoyed seeing it. Perhaps it was because the crowds were really light so it was easy to get a good view. I have put up the photos I took from this parade if you want to see them.

After this we went for dinner, and were there in plenty of time for our ADR. The group behind us had an ADR (Advance Dining Reservations) for 5.30pm so they were pretty late (it was just before 6pm). When they went to sit down they were complaining constantly that their table wasn’t ready for them, well, if they’d been there on time it probably would have been! We got in at about 6.15pm and had a lovely dinner. I really like the salmon and mashed potatoes here. I did try a little bit of lots of other things though, some nice and some not so nice. What is the deal with creamed corn, it’s perhaps one of the strangest things I’ve ever had…..not sure I liked that . There was this bean mix thing which was lovely, had a great BBQ taste to it.

After dinner Anthony really wanted to have a go on the Great Movie Ride before Fantasmic, but the wait was about 40 minutes so we went into One Mans Dream instead. Another great attraction, he film is just lovely, and the CMs there really know their stuff. I like how they had changed the narration to be done by Julie Andrews instead. Again, I took loads of photos in here, and I have them in my album if you would like to see them.

Then it was time to head over to Fantasmic. We went through the little secret entrance next to Oscars and when we got there (about 8.15pm) it wasn’t that busy, which surprised me. We usually sit right at the back here so we can see all around, but we decided to go sit right down at the front. We went on the first long bench, but there was a couple on one of the smaller benches right at the waterfront who offered for us to come sit with them, so we did. We really got chatting to them, they were a lovely couple from Maine and we chatted about all sorts of things, as you often do when you sit next to people at Fantasmic. In no time at all it was time for the show. Since we were so close I decided to film it. Can’t say it was too easy as I had to lift the camcorder quite high so it could go over the railings. The show, as ever, was wonderful. The crowd, as ever, were very spirited! I know there is no such thing as a bad seat here but we saw so much more from right at the front. We could see the detailing on the sets much more clearly and the characters were so much more real from this distance. I still enjoy where we usually sit, but I think we’ll try and sit here again. After the show my arm was really tired from holding the camcorder, and I had a great strap mark on my hand! We got chatting to the couple from Maine again whilst the crowds left, and we were so engrossed we ended up being the last to leave. After wishing eachother a happy rest of holiday we were on our separate ways.

I got a great picture of the huge scorceror Mickey hat, which I think I’ll be using as my desktop when I get back to school, so it’ll be up on my interactive whiteboard every morning! What do you think?

The bus wasn’t too busy going back as there was another show of Fantasmic at 10.30pm.

Next time, move over Chicken Little, it’s Chicken Vikki!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World