Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Forum Newcomer!

Contemporary vs. WL

Hello, First time on this forum. Is it worth the $800 to $1000 more in price to stay at the CR vs. the WL? Have adult son in electric scooter and thought maybe easier to get back and forth to MK from CR. Just having a hard time accepting the $400 plus per nite cost of the room at the CR.
      Thank you.

Mouseketeer
      ive been and seen the both, but not stayed. I intend to stay at the WL for 11 nights and throw a fortune at a tower room at the CR with a view of the kingdom. Its a lot of money, but it will be a one-off. To answer your question, i dont think id pay more on a normal visit, but i would for a specific visit (ie , a kingdom view). In your shoes, id probably pick the best accessible hotel. I get the impression, its the WL from various sites.

I would have to disagree with accessability. WL is only accessable to MK by boat and bus-with a scooter this means having to load and unload and possibly wait for a bus with room for the scooter. From the Contemporary you can take the Monorial to MK and then go on to Epcot by Monrail as well if you wish (changing trains at the hub). As for spending the extra per night...it really depends on 1) budget 2)the kind of trip you are planning 3) the ability for your son to manuver and use the scooter on his own.
      1) if budget allows it I would go the extra for the convinence of the MK. but....
      2) if your trip is going to include all of the parks you will be needing to load the scooter onto busses for at least Animal Kingdom theme park at Walt Disney World Orlando and Disney Hollywood Studios theme park at WDW anyway no matter where you stay on property...so
      3) If your son is able to manuver and use the scooter easily and you will be going to all of the parks then I wouldn't spend the extra to be able to access the MK differtently. If you are only going to focus on MK, or if your son is able to manuver his scooter, but it takes some effort to do so, then I would go the extra and stay at the Contemporary and lessen the need to use the bus system.
      Disney Dad

Disney is the World to Me

http://disneydad.smugmug.com

1999 WL; 2001 Off Property (Never Again); 2003 ASMo; 2007 ASMu (Family Suite); 2009 FWCG Cabin; 2011 Pop; 2012 CBR (Pirate Trip); 2013 Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa; 2014 Boys Trip to AOA in a Cars Suite

Jon
      The rooms may be slightly bigger at the Contemporary, however Id imagine WL would be the more scooter friendly resort. The benefit of being on the monorail or taking the pathway to MK would make things that bit easier if you plan to spend a bit of time in the parks. Whether its worth the extra $$, hmm maybe, but perhaps not quite so much.

Totally agree with DisneyDad on the access thing. Have stayed at WL and Bay Lake Tower (CR). If access weren't an issue I wouldn't pay that much extra to stay at CR, but if you have a scooter you'll have reall access issues from WL. As he says, it's boat or bus, and the bus is shared with other MK resorts so may be crowded at times. I'm not sure if the boats are scooter accessible, pretty sure they're not. At the very least you'd have trouble getting on and off depending on water levels.
      The Resorts themselves are much or a muchness for disabled access within the hotel, although elevators at the CR are a bit crazy in my experience and you can find yourself waiting a while.
      Follow us on Facebook & Twitter!

Senior Cast Member littlepickering's Avatar
      In my opinion CR would be more convenient for MK and Epcot. The fact that you can chose between the walking path to the MK or the monorail is fantastic. I like that you can get to Epcot easily via monorail as well. My mom uses a scooter and although buses are very accommodating, she prefers the monorail. The fact that you take either a boat which does not accommodate a scooter or a shared bus to MK from WL are the reasons I would chose CR over WL. If this is a stricktly budgetary question then there are other options available for you. This past November we stayed at Port Orleans Resort French Quarter resort at WDW and my mom was with us. I loved that there was a Disney employee working during the mornings at the bus stop making sure things were moving along smoothly and that visitors with special needs were dealt with accordingly and I also loved that we did not share a bus with any other resort, not even POR!!!!!!!!! This made getting to and from our destination easy peasy!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im pretty sure the boats will accomodate a scooter (you have to drive up a ramp and onto the deck), but it is not an easy thing if you are not real comfortable or experienced with the scooter. When my mom went to go up the ramp she almost went right off it. The ships crew had to help her get the scooter onboard; so after that we just used other transportation and not boats.
      Disney Dad

Disney is the World to Me

http://disneydad.smugmug.com

1999 WL; 2001 Off Property (Never Again); 2003 ASMo; 2007 ASMu (Family Suite); 2009 FWCG Cabin; 2011 Pop; 2012 CBR (Pirate Trip); 2013 Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa; 2014 Boys Trip to AOA in a Cars Suite

Senior Cast Member littlepickering's Avatar
      I agree with Disney Dad on the boat and scooter situation. I remember this past November, I took a boat from the Magic Kingdom to WL and they were running 2 types of boats, one was very small that would not allow scooters and the other was a large one that would allow scooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LP, did they have to radio for the next boat to accommodate a scooter, or do you think they do an every-other type deal?

Sent from my ADR6330VW using Tapatalk
      Countless times as a child, FWCabins (11/92), Off Property (07/95), ASMu~, (04/97), ASMo (08/02), ASMo (04/06), Day Trip to MK (12/06), PC (07/08), PC (06/09), PC (10/10), ASMu (08.09/12), PC (01/13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World