Username
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
      Senior Cast Member DisneyHayley's Avatar

Not planning my non-trip

This post is probably absolutely pointless, as we probably won't end up going (so it's not your advice that's made us not go - honest!) - we agreed that we couldn't afford to go to WDW this year, having had a bit of a blowout last August and been to NYC in January.

I think we're both pretty gutted that we can't go this year and it's just pulling us back - I've tried looking at other places, but as you all know, nothing compares to Orlando :)

DH's birthday is at the end of June - I've been thinking about going July/August before due to time and cash, but it seems more doable money-wise in June. He thinks WDW is a definite no due to money, I would love to surprise him with a trip IF I can get it within our budget.

A few starter questions!

I was on VA last night and M+M is around 900ish for the 2 of us (7/10 day trip). Would companion fares be gone now? I finally have enough miles for one! Can I check anywhere else online for availability or do I have to call them? The earliest I can book is the start of April (ie. after payday!)

If I use M&M, can I then use my miles to upgrade to a reward seat (if avail) in PE? I'm guessing no, but it's worth an ask! Likewise, will there be any upgrades to PE available for miles left now? Without M+M, 2 economy seats are around 950ish so might be worth it.

Are the flights for June likely to come down the closer I leave it? We got a great deal in June for 2009 (M+M around 750 for both) and booked around a month or so in advance. Not sure if that was a fluke though.

Has anyone here rented Disney Vacation Club points before? Not sure if it's something for us yet, but it's an option - I'd probably be looking at AKV or BoardWalk Villas Resort at Walt Disney World Orlando if that were the case. Still a bit expensive though.

When do AP rates for June usually come out? That is one of the huge plusses of doing WDW - we both have APs at the moment and a TIW card (Thanks for the tip Alec ) to save a few bucks. Are they usually 10% values and 15% mods?

The 450 flight is great, and doable - but I was really, really hoping we could stay on site. I think I've gotten over the wanting to stay deluxe and I just want to GO. Ideally, I don't want to spend more than 1300 on flight and hotel as I think that's pushing my budget a bit even! So if I do go with the 900 flights (cheapest I've seen so far AND direct), my accommodation budget is 400 for 7/10 - hence the dilemma, not Disney friendly!

Like I said, this is definitely just an idea at the moment but I'd love for it to happen. We are both dying to go back and I would love to surprise him at the airport and say where we are going :) But it's very possible that it won't happen!

Any tips/advice appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyHayley View Post
      A few starter questions!

I was on VA last night and M+M is around 900ish for the 2 of us (7/10 day trip). Would companion fares be gone now? I finally have enough miles for one! Can I check anywhere else online for availability or do I have to call them? The earliest I can book is the start of April (ie. after payday!)
      There are plenty of dates available in June for a reward flight which could be used as a companion flight but the fare code you would need to use to qualify makes it more expensive for you Hayley.

If I use M&M, can I then use my miles to upgrade to a reward seat (if avail) in PE? I'm guessing no, but it's worth an ask! Likewise, will there be any upgrades to PE available for miles left now? Without M+M, 2 economy seats are around 950ish so might be worth it.
      You can't upgrade a miles plus money fare with miles - you would have to book or change to a PE MPM fare if available. Also the cheapest economy fares which you have been quoted are not upgradeable with miles - the cheapest economy seats for June which are eligible for miles upgrades are ~ 950 per person.
      Alec

Bec
      Yay for the surprise trip! I can't really help with your questions sorry, but didn't want to read and run!

This is the current AP offer - it came out about 3 weeks ago and is for dates up to 2nd June - it will probably be May before the next batch are released :

Stay dates: 4/25/11-6/2/11. Get a discount of 20%-40% off regular "Rack" rates. Pricing and percent off will vary by resort type and date. Use code L2H. Rates not available for all dates and resorts, but generally the discounts run as follows:

Save 20% at All Star Music
      Save 25% at most Disney Value Resorts and Port Orleans - French Quarter
      Save 30% at most Disney Moderate Resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian Resort
      Save 35% at most Disney Deluxe Resorts
      Save 40% at Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts
      Alec

How exciting making plans for a surprise non-trip . Els will be so excited if you can pull this off!!
      Countless times as a child, FWCabins (11/92), Off Property (07/95), ASMu~, (04/97), ASMo (08/02), ASMo (04/06), Day Trip to MK (12/06), PC (07/08), PC (06/09), PC (10/10), ASMu (08.09/12), PC (01/13)

Can't wait to see if you manage to get this in your budget!

Senior Cast Member DisneyHayley's Avatar
      Quote Originally Posted by Bec View Post
      Yay for the surprise trip! I can't really help with your questions sorry, but didn't want to read and run!
      Thanks Bec! Depends on a lot of factors, but hope I can pull it off!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecK View Post
      This is the current AP offer - it came out about 3 weeks ago and is for dates up to 2nd June - it will probably be May before the next batch are released :

Stay dates: 4/25/11-6/2/11. Get a discount of 20%-40% off regular "Rack" rates. Pricing and percent off will vary by resort type and date. Use code L2H. Rates not available for all dates and resorts, but generally the discounts run as follows:

Save 20% at All Star Music
      Save 25% at most Disney Value Resorts and Port Orleans - French Quarter
      Save 30% at most Disney Moderate Resorts, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian Resort
      Save 35% at most Disney Deluxe Resorts
      Save 40% at Disney Deluxe Villa Resorts
      Thanks for this Alec - really helpful. At least it gives me an idea of what the discounts are going to be like :) I'll have to wait until (if) I book flights anyway to see if we can actually afford to go (depends price of flights 1st/2nd week in April!) so it won't be too long to wait until May to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkTink View Post
      How exciting making plans for a surprise non-trip . Els will be so excited if you can pull this off!!
      Thanks Brig! I really hope I can pull it off!! He would be SO happy and over the moon! If I do manage a deal and I book it, I'm totally going to 'drop some hints' that we're going to somewhere like Benidorm (Spain) or Greece I'm a good bluffer!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGemma View Post
      Can't wait to see if you manage to get this in your budget!
      Me either Gem!! Crossing everything for this one!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlecK View Post
      There are plenty of dates available in June for a reward flight which could be used as a companion flight but the fare code you would need to use to qualify makes it more expensive for you Hayley.

You can't upgrade a miles plus money fare with miles - you would have to book or change to a PE MPM fare if available. Also the cheapest economy fares which you have been quoted are not upgradeable with miles - the cheapest economy seats for June which are eligible for miles upgrades are ~ 950 per person.
      Thanks Alec, I was expecting not to be able upgrade miles plus money, but why am I not surprised that companion fares are more expensive??! I was expecting companion fares to be around 500-600 which would still be a great saving off 900. Where can you see the companions available? Is it on the VA website? *blondemoment*

Seems I'm definitely looking at 900 for the flights then, unless I can find something a bit cheaper with another airline, but that was the cheapest I'd found so far (I've been looking a while It's an addiction!)

Thanks Alec, I was expecting not to be able upgrade miles plus money, but why am I not surprised that companion fares are more expensive??! I was expecting companion fares to be around 500-600 which would still be a great saving off 900. Where can you see the companions available? Is it on the VA website? *blondemoment*
      If you do a dummy booking and click 'spend miles' from your FC account it will show all reward seats - these can be used for mileage, companion or upgrade rewards on whatever days are available. With a companion reward you also need to check out the fare for the revenue ticket - you need to do this on the special booking page here :

http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/en/gb...ghts/index.jsp

A companion reward is only usually good value when coupled with an 'S' class PE fare. How many miles have you got between you Hayley ?
      Alec

Hayley ... Good Luck Hon ! that you can make it happen . Since you already have APs that a big part of the expense .
      I'm working, caring for my mom 5 days a week . Should have the cruise paid off in no time . Thinking about free dining in August .
      Yes I've rented points before from members from mouse owners forum .

formerly known as : *** Tinker ***

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Contact Us Home
    Copyright © 2014 MagicalKingdoms.com | Walt Disney World