December 25, 1963.
Re-released in 1972 and 1983.
Released on video in 1986.
A Most Befuddling Thing
That's What Makes The World Go Round
The Legend Of The Sword In The Stone
The film is based on a book written by T.H. White in 1939, which is based on Arthurian legend. Most historians agree the real King Arthur is probably based on the 6th-century A.D. British war chief Roman Artorius.
The Sword in the Stone contains a lot of references to the '60s, including a spoof of a TV commercial.
It inspired the Sword in the Stone Ceremony, led by Merlin, at the Disney Theme Parks.
The film was nominated for an Academy Award in 1963 for Best Music, Scoring Of Music, Adaptation Or Treatment.
The songs in the film were written by the legendary Sherman brothers, Richard and Robert.
Sir Ector: I hope you don't go in for any of that black magic.
Merlin: Oh, no, no. Never touch the stuff.
Merlin: Now Mi-Mim, n-no dragons, remember?
Madame Mim: Did I say no purple dragons? Did I?
Madame Mim: Sounds like someone's sick. How lovely. I do hope it's serious. Something dreadful.
Archimedes the Owl: Now then, boy. Flying is not just some crude, mechanical process. It is a delicate art. Purely aesthetic. Poetry of motion. And the only way to learn it is to do it.
DVD & Soundtrack
DVD Bonus Features
- Fully Restored And Remastered
- "Knight For A Day" Animated Short Starring Goofy
- "Brave Little Tailor" Animated Short Starring Mickey Mouse
- "Music Magic: The Sherman Brothers," Including The Deleted Song, "The Magic Key" -- Never Before Released!
- "All About Magic" 1957 TV Show Hosted By Walt Disney
- THE SWORD IN THE STONE Scrapbook -- Still-Frame Galleries
- Film Facts -- A Behind-The-Scenes Exclusive
- Interactive Program: Sing-Along Versions Of Favorites "Higitus Figitus" And "That's What Makes The World Go Round"
It's merry old England, and a brand new Pooh!
It's HIGITUS-FIGITUS for magical mirth and music!
Tired of living in a Medieval mess...Merlin uses all his magic powers to change a scrawny little boy into a legendary hero!
When Wart finds the sword in the stone he has to jump the fence to get to it. But once he has got the sword he is able to run through the fence as it's broken.
When Wart is on his hunting trip and is climbing the tree, he is wearing red tights, but in the next shot he is shown with bare legs, then back to red tights again.
Pelinore enters the castle and removes the glove from his left hand, but then when he passes Wart it is his right hand that's bare.
Reviews & Ratings