An Introduction to Epcot
Where can you travel to four continents, soar over the richly diverse landscape of the Golden State, take a rocket ride to Mars, explore land and sea adventures, experience future technologies today and journey into your imagination -- all in one vacation? Epcot, the Walt Disney World celebration of human achievement and discovery, is a one-stop vacation spot for all of that.
From the moment you enter Epcot you are instantly transported into two unique worlds:
- Future World, a high-energy, high-tech land where guests interact with exhibits, visit a home of the future, thrill to the pulse-racing liftoff of Mission: SPACE, and experience Soarin', an exhilarating aerial adventure that immerses guests in a multi-sensory experience, complete with sights, sounds, scents and the caress of warm breezes.
- World Showcase, a world of multi-cultural enchantment, featuring marketplaces bustling with international flavor and a dazzling display of countries that transports guests through the magical worlds of 11 nations with just a few steps.
There's something new around every corner at Epcot, including "IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth," a thunderous fireworks spectacular like no other. Family fun continues at "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience," "Ellen's Energy Adventure," "Turtle Talk With Crush" and Innoventions.
Epcot is the site for one-of-a-kind world entertainment and special events, including the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival, one of the world's largest outdoor festivals of its kind; Epcot International Food and Wine Festival; and Epcot Summer Series, featuring world-renowned live entertainment.
There's more to discover at Epcot:
Epcot for Kids
Epcot spells kid-friendly fun. From toddlers to teens, "Epcot kids" will discover hands-on activities, high-tech adventure and thrills at every turn.
In World Showcase, young guests can create their own Epcot souvenirs at the park's Kidcot Funstops. Craftsmen teach the budding artisans how to create a one-of-a-kind mask or a musical instrument using their own magical touch.
Want to meet your favorite Disney character? At World Showcase, you might spot Mickey and his friends at The American Adventure, Belle and the Beast at France, Snow White in Germany (home to a miniature train and village), or Jasmine and Aladdin in Morocco.
The Disney Princesses -- Belle, Jasmine, Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Mary Poppins, Pocahontas, Cinderella, Ariel, Alice and Mulan -- are special guests at Princess Storybook Dining at Akershus Royal Banquet Hall in Norway. The World Showcase eatery, inspired by the famous 14th century Castle Akershus in the city of Oslo, Norway, is the perfect setting for a “royal” breakfast, lunch or dinner. Make reservations through 407/WDW-DINE.
In Future World, kids can make friends with Crush, an animated sea turtle that chats with them at The Seas with Nemo & Friends pavilion (formerly The Living Seas), or explore their imaginations with Figment at the Imagination! pavilion.
Soarin' gives Epcot guests a bird’s-eye view of California with a breathtaking glide over the majestic natural wonders and varied terrain of the Golden State. Epcot’s newest attraction is an exciting, wind-in-your-hair adventure above towering redwoods, picturesque snow-capped mountains, expansive sun-kissed deserts and the crashing waves of the Pacific coast. Soarin' is located at The Land presented by Nestlé USA.
Thrill-seekers prepare for liftoff! Mission: SPACE, Disney’s most thrilling attraction ever, is now taking cadets into deep space. Located in Future World, Mission: SPACE uses the same technology created by NASA to train their astronauts. The result is an exhilarating liftoff and spectacular trip through space sure to bring guests back for more.
Thanks to Disney's FASTPASS, featured at Soarin', Mission: SPACE, Maelstrom, Living with the Land and "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience," kids and their parents can reduce wait time and enjoy more time in the park -- and there's no additional charge.
Future is Now
Future World takes guests to new dimensions with high-energy passports to excitement:
- Spaceship Earth is Future World's landmark adventure. Dramatic scenes in the attraction and its post show depict life in the 21st century's Global Neighborhood. With narration by actor Jeremy Irons and an impressive musical score, guests experience a time-travel journey from the beginning of time to the electronic age.
- Soarin' takes guests on an exhilarating aerial journey over California, with a bird’s-eye view and an extraordinary sensation of free flight. Using stunning cinematic artistry and Imagineering-developed motion-based technology, the experience is intensified with sweeping winds and the fragrance of orange blossoms and pine trees.
- Mission: SPACE presented by HP offers guests a one-of-a-kind simulated space adventure -- from exhilarating liftoff to the weightlessness of outer space.
- Test Track, presented by General Motors, invites guests to buckle up and brace themselves for the longest and fastest ride ever in Vacation Kingdom history.
- Universe of Energy featuring "Ellen's Energy Adventure" with Ellen DeGeneres, Jamie Lee Curtis and Bill Nye the Science Guy. DeGeneres plays a woman who dreams she's on the popular game show "Jeopardy!" As part of the show, guests venture into a re-creation of the primeval world complete with moving, roaring, life-size dinosaurs.
- Imagination! presented by Kodak includes Journey Into Imagination with Figment, featuring the playful purple dragon demonstrating the power of imagination; ImageWorks-The Kodak "What If?" Labs; and the 3-D sensation "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience."
- The Land, presented by Nestle USA, features Soarin'; the motion picture "Circle of Life," an environmental fable starring several characters from "The Lion King"; and the Living with the Land boat ride through greenhouses of the future.
- The Seas with Nemo & Friends includes one of the world’s largest saltwater aquariums, featuring a two-story viewing area of a coral reef filled with colorful marine life, and "Turtle Talk With Crush," a real-time animated character that talks, plays and jokes with guests.
- Innoventions, a dazzling showcase where guests can be among the first to experience the technologies of today that will shape their lives tomorrow.
- Wonders of Life, now operating seasonally, features Body Wars, a flight-simulator thrill ride through the human body, and a variety of shows and activities celebrating human life.
Discover Your World
Across World Showcase Lagoon, 11 nations display authentic wares, ethnic cuisine, shows, entertainment and architecture representing their cultures. World Showcase ambassadors come from across the globe to represent their homelands. As part of the show, holidays and festivals are commemorated by the ambassadors in ways they would be celebrated "back home," allowing Epcot guests to join in these international celebrations. Even the landscaping changes from country to country around the 1.3-mile promenade.
Clockwise around the promenade:
- Mexico, with an authentic marketplace, lively Mariachi bands and a boat ride through Mexican history.
- Norway, where guests embark on a voyage through time beginning in a 10th century Viking village.
- China, with unique live entertainment and a Circle-Vision 360 film, "Reflections of China," that showcases past and present China and takes guests to seven cities around the country.
- Germany transports guests with authentic surroundings inspired by towns along the Rhine and in Bavaria.
- Italy, romance and beauty featured in a reproduction Doge's Palace of Venice.
- The American Adventure showcases important moments in U.S. history.
- Japan, featuring spectacular gardens and outdoor entertainment.
- Morocco, where 19 Moroccan artisans spent months re-creating the intricate, colorful tile masterpieces of this North African country.
- France, the setting for fresh bakeries, beautiful shops and gardens, artists and an enchanting film tour through its cities and countryside.
- United Kingdom, with lovely flower gardens, cobbled streets and corner pub.
- Canada, with entertainment by a bagpipe band and a Circle-Vision 360 film through some of Canada's most picturesque regions.
World-Class Dining at Epcot
The restaurants of World Showcase offer authentic cuisine from around the globe, from traditional Italian at L'Originale Alfredo di Roma Ristorante in the Italy showcase to chicken couscous in Morocco's Restaurant Marrakesh. Guests can make dining reservations for nearly two dozen restaurants through Epcot Guest Relations or at the individual restaurants.
In Future World, restaurants feature regional American favorites from gourmet pizza to fresh seafood. All Epcot restaurants have children's value meals and can accommodate special dietary needs with advance notice.
Important Collections in Epcot Galleries
Six World Showcase countries display treasures from international collections:
- The American Adventure pavilion presents Echoes of Africa at American Heritage Gallery featuring pieces from the Walt Disney-Tishman African Art Collection.
- The Mexico pavilion's Animales Fantasticos features wood sculptures from Oaxaca, Mexico.
- The Vikings: Conquerors of the Seas exhibit in Norway’s Gol Stave Church Gallery showcases a rare collection of Viking artifacts.
- Japan's Tin Toy Stories is an exhibit featuring over 350 tin toys on loan from a private collection.
- The Gallery of Arts and History in Morocco showcases artisan-crafted jewelry, ceramic pottery and ancient musical instruments.
- The gallery in the China pavilion features authentic tomb sculptures from Ancient China and a miniature re-creation of the tomb of China’s first emperor.
Each day ends with " IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth," a nighttime spectacular filled with the fiery glow of torches, a high-energy sound track, sky-piercing lasers and thunderous fireworks.